JWs pretended to be someone else at my door.

by myusername 50 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• myusername
    myusername

This is probably in the wrong section, but I couldn't decide where to put it. I was raised a JW and I still suffer effects from that kind of upbringing.

Anyway, they said they were local community volunteers and they wanted to give me something related to the community. I didn't open the door but they put a JW tract through it.

I don't think it's right to be so devious about recruitment. They also don't tell people about the reality of the religon until they're already involved. One time on an unrelated forum a JW was witnessing to everyone and making it look so different than it is. When I pointed out some things about it the JW told everyone I was lying when I wasn't. I'm quite taken aback that some feel so free to do that. I've had that happen a couple of other times too. The way they're approaching the doors in this manner makes me want to educate people about what it really is. Has anyone done that - as in following up the neighborhoods they leave their literature in with literature stating what it's really about?

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

Maybe the community is short of toilet tissue.

• undercover
    undercover
    they said they were local community volunteers and they wanted to give me something related to the community.

That's the second time I've heard where they've presented themselves as "community volunteers". I wish I could remember who the other poster was, but they gave basically the same experience you did.

When I read his account I figured it was a dub trying to be smart and all. Now, I'm wondering if they're pushing this at the Service Meeting. Any one still attending have any insight?

BTW, Welcome...

• zoiks
    zoiks

Welcome, myusername!

Yes, I remember when we started doing the whole "I'm a volunteer" or "We're performing a community service" lie. It helped open some doors, at least temporarily. Dishonest? Yes. But sometimes you gotta lie to tell The Truth!

Edit: undercover, we used to use this approach a lot in my area. IIRC, it did start with Service Meeting demonstrations.

• yknot
    yknot

Egads....

I suppose it could be done......

However it is far more effective to talk to your neighbors directly.

Ask them if 'those people' lied and told them the same 'community volunteer' spiel.....

Make a point to bring a created form where your neighbors and you can make a written request to be placed on the DNC list.

Maybe even have a couple of them hand deliver the DNC to the Hall's Elders along with the bad impression the JWs made in your neighborhood by being less than honest.......

• snowbird
    snowbird

Welcome, MUN.

Oh, the things you will learn!

Syl

• goldensky
    goldensky

Welcome, Myusername! I hope you will enjoy your time on the board. All the best.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

Isn't this a bit like cold telephone callers who sya they are not selling anything!

• StAnn
    StAnn

Act really excited. If they are community volunteers, ask for a list of the community projects they are participating in. Ask for their contact information so that you can call them the next time the community needs volunteers for clean up jobs and such. Tell them how happy you are to find people who actually care about their community! Tell them about a specific program for which you need volunteers. For instance, in my community we've recently received a block grant to help fix up homes of poor elderly and handicapped citizens who physically and financially can't do the work themselves. However, all of the labor will be voluntary. If they mention crap like their quick build as an example, tell them how happy you are to find people with construction skills and that you'll have Habitat for Humanity contact them. If they mention that they do things for the elderly, tell them you'll have the local Senior Citizens Center contact them about delivering Meals On Wheels or taking people to medical appointments. Get more and more excited at finding such wonderful community volunteers! Let them see how pathetic their idea of community volunteering really is.

If you really nail them with details, I'd bet they'll think twice before trying to put that lie over on anybody else.

StAnn

• JWoods
    JWoods

This "community service" angle is new to me, but back in the 1960s and 1970s, I NEVER saw any JW honestly identify themselves at the door as "We are Jehovah's Witnesses".

They always said they were bible students, or that they were doing a bible educational work or some such. The words "Jehovah's Witnesses" would get the door to shut in short order.

They would only reluctantly admit who they were after being bluntly asked.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit