Oh, Crap, JW Family ReunionMy

by StAnn 32 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

So I could go (alone) and spend the day talking only to my dad while the rest sit around and ignore me. Fun, fun, fun.

I just can't see you doing that, Ann.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Josie, I think you are correct. Dad always called me "motor mouth."

Besides, none of these people cook. They go to the store and bring stuff from the deli, like storebought macaroni salad. I mean, if the food were good, maybe I'd reconsider it but even that will suck.

StAnn

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

If you do go, just drink alot.

lol

• moshe
    moshe

I would go, if only for a couple hours. Your dad could be killed in a car wreck or have a heart attck next month. Then you would have to live with the guilt of not seeing your Dad. Go have an electroshock treatment before you go and then no JW stuff will bother you. Seriously, as long as you give JW's permission to hurt your feelings, they will.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

St Ann: Now that you've told me more, I wouldn't blame you if you didn't go. But is there some way you could go to visit your father or have lunch with him? I hate to see your relationship with him completely severed. Moshe is right. He could be gone in an instant and you would regret not seeing your dad after he has indicated he wants a relationship with you.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Okay, so you guilted me. I called my dad back and told him, VERY NICELY, that I would not come to the picnic because I don't like Jehovah's Witnesses and the way they act. I told him, twice, that I missed seeing him and would love to see him but that I wasn't going to waste a Saturday being mistreated by the JWs.

He told me that he would be there if I changed my mind and wanted to see him. I won't change my mind. But at least I did tell him twice that I do miss him (despite the fact that he's a total jerk) and would like to see him and that I'm not coming because of the JWs. So he knows it's nothing personal against him.

Now, let's see what fallout comes from that as the Dubs burn up the phone lines to gossip.

StAnn

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

My first reaction was that you should NOT go. But after Moshe's comment - perhaps I would agree that you maybe should go. Especially if your dad is up in age.

-MF31-

• flipper
    flipper

ST. ANN- I think you made a good decision. If you wanted to sort things out with your dad in time, it would be better done with just the two of you over a cup of coffee or something where you'd have privacy to tell him how he offended you and perhaps get some closure on it. Just my 2 cents. No need to put yourself in JW dramasville and be looked down on by people who are devoid of moral character. Good luck ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• StAnn
    StAnn

My dad is 75 years old. However, I'm not sure that I really do what to sort things out with him. He's been married to a JW for so long (over 50 years) that he thinks a lot like one. I must admit that this past 18 months without him has been very peaceful and a lot less stressful. Isn't that a terrible thing to admit, that life has been better without your family in it? The reality is that my JW family is totally toxic; I just don't have room for that in my life anymore.

StAnn

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Just my idea, whether you do this or not depends on whether this sort of thing fits your personality.

How are you at bluff-calling?

First call up your brother, tell him you'll go but only if he does too, and what you'll be doing next if he agrees. Assuming he accepts the offer, call your dad and tell him you're coming, with your brother--but if your brother isn't welcome, you won't be coming either. Make it clear that you won't be a part of shunning your brother, because he's family too! In other words, make him choose whether to do the right thing by removing the easy way out (having you there while excluding your DF'd brother).

The way I see it, the operant word in "family reunion" is family. When they ask you to come to an event where your brother is excluded, that's like asking you to take sides against him. You don't get to choose your family, you don't have to like them--but we are commanded to love them, no matter what.

Good luck in whatever course you choose, StAnn!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit