Generation - topic dedicated to debator

by teel 77 Replies latest watchtower bible

• teel
    teel
    If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God.

This is the "very words of God": I tell you the truth, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

This is not the "very words of God": He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation.

You also seem to agree with that. So no, Peter was not inciting people to be false prophets, he was telling them to stick to God's word, and God's word alone, nothing else.

• The Finger
    The Finger

Debator,

Do you think these false teachings in the WT have brought praise to God?

• debator
    debator

Hi Isaac

one of those gifts is leadership Isaac!

Romans 12:6-8 (New International Version)

6 We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his [a] faith. 7 If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; 8 if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.

Shepherds would obviously speak and make decisions and if they do, peters word apply.." 11 If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God."

The important thing is that they do not claim to speak actual inspired words from God unless they have been given that inspiration but witnesses have never claimed to be inspired as the Bible understands it from God himself.

• debator
    debator

Hi Teel

God's words include decerning and "being on watch" using Bible prophecy, bible signs, bible chronology, prayer, spirit guidance and group decision and agreement among ourselves.

Matthew 18:20
    For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

1 Corinthians 1:10
    [ Divisions in the Church ] I appeal to you, brothers, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another so that there may be no divisions among you and that you may be perfectly united in mind and thought.

So as to be "ready".1914 is drawn from ACTUAL Bible Chronology. It is already written by the inspired authors of the Bible. You may not like the witnesses conclusions drawn from bible chronology but this is not False prophecy.

You are trying to convict them of a crime they have Never commited by Gods Standards.

Hi the finger.

Nice Loaded Question! if you are now stepping down to calling them just doing "false teachings" that is a different topic and really upto each person to decide for themselves. I personally find the Witnesses worthy to be called Almighty Jehovah God's people through his son Jesus in this time by my own biblical research.

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

Debator said:

The important thing is that they do not claim to speak actual inspired words from God unless they have been given that inspiration but witnesses have never claimed to be inspired as the Bible understands it from God himself.

My reply: But they have! That is what you miss or refuse to accept. Claiming something is the Creator's promise is claiming that what they are saying is actual words from God. They have claimed they are not inspired in word, but not in action.

• asilentone
    asilentone

Is Debator Reniaa?

• isaacaustin
    isaacaustin

LOL Maybe Asilentone LOL

Also, debator, the differences you try to create between Hananiah and the GB are non-existant. You try to claim Hananiah claimed inspiration. He simply said "Thus the Lord has spoken..." There are no other details given about who he said was. He spoke and called it the words of the Lord and that was enough! The GB said in the WTs up until 11/95 that it was "the Creator's promise..." That is all it takes.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    What is the Bible definition of a false prophet?

ANswered above.

Do the witness shepherds claim to be inspired?

If they are not inspire, why prophecize?

Do we need to be "perfect" when intepreting Bible prophecy and chronology?

No, but admiting when we are wrong and not blaming followers wouldn't be too much to ask.

• The Finger
    The Finger

"I personally find the Witnesses worthy to be called Almighty Jehovah God's people through his son Jesus in this time by my own biblical research."

Debator,

Do you think they show compassion for people they have hurt with these teachings of men?

• TD
    TD

Debator,

After reading through the challenges and responses on this thread, it sounds to me like you are drawing a distinction between two different genres of guidance.

For example, if I invited you over to my house for dinner, there are only two categories that directions to my house would fall into:

Active guidance: I would stay with you on the phone or even ride along with you in the car and say, "Turn left," "Turn right", "Now go straight," etc.

Passive guidance: I would write down the address and let you Google it, find it on a map, etc. and decide for yourself how to get there.

The parallel to communication with the Divine should be obvious. When information crosses the gap between heaven and earth by any means whatsoever; be it plenary inspiration, angelic visitation, visions, dreams, etc. it is active guidance. For believers, the writing of the Bible is probably the most outstanding example of active guidance.

However when someone simply reads and studies the Bible, in a manner analogous to the way you would read and study a book or map to figure out how to get to a particular destination, this would be passive guidance. Regardless of whether it was written by God or not, you are still consulting a static piece of information when you read the Bible. Therefore while you could in a sense say that you were guided by God, this would not be a claim of Divine inspiration inasmuch as God has not actively imparted information to you.

This is what I understand you to be saying in response to the various challenges to explain quotes from JW literature that could possibly be read as claims of active guidance.

Is this summary accurate and fair or have I gone off the reservation entirely?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit