Religion and Cults

by alice.in.wonderland 125 Replies latest watchtower bible

• alice.in.wonderland
    alice.in.wonderland

I've heard certain people here refer to Jehovah's Witnesses as a mind-control cult, high-control cult; theories perpetrated for how long I don't know, but at least since the days of Ray Franz.

“I had spent nearly forty years as a full time representative, serving at every level of the organizational structure. The last fifteen years I had spent at the international headquarters, and the final nine of those as a member of the worldwide Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. It was those final years that were the crucial period for me. Illusions there met up with reality. I have since come to appreciate the rightness of a quotation I recently read, one made by a statesman, now dead, who said: 'The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth—persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.' I now began to realize how large a measure of what I had based my entire adult life course on was just that, a myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.” -Ray Franz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult

The term cult pejoratively refers to a group whose beliefs or practices are reasonably considered strange. The term originally denoted a system of ritual practices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_countercult_movement

The Christian countercult movement is a collective description for many, mostly unrelated, Christian ministries and individual Christians who oppose religious groups whose doctrines or practices do not fit within their definition of mainstream Christianity, which they consider to be cults. They are also known as discernment ministries.

The countercult movement asserts that non-Christian faiths are spiritually counterfeit and claims the authority to define "true" Christianity, and thus to define "false" Christianity. Since at least the 1940s, the approach of traditional Christians was to apply the meaning of cult such that it included those religious groups who use other scriptures beside the Bible or have teachings and practices deviating from traditional Christian teachings and practices.

Is it safe to say the scientific community would slam all religions as cults: “myth—persistent, persuasive and unrealistic” and that Ray Franz and the associated cult accusations are outdated considering that religion is slowly being dissolved by the scientific community?

http://123.100.97.202/human-science/news/article.cfm?c_id=314&objectid=10387928

Science slams creationism

LONDON - The world's scientific community has united to launch one of the strongest attacks yet on creationism, warning that the origins of life were being "denied or confused".

The national science academies of 67 countries warned parents and teachers to ensure that they did not undermine the teaching of evolution or allow children to be taught that the world was created in six days.

Some schools in the US hold that evolution is merely a theory while the Bible represents the literal truth.

The statement said: "Within science courses taught in certain public systems of education, scientific data and testable theories about the origins and evolution of life on Earth are being concealed, denied, or confused with theories not testable by science."

Academics have battled with neo-creationists in the in the courts over the theory known as "intelligent design" which suggests species are too complex to have evolved through natural selection and must therefore be the product of a "designer".

Leeds University plans to incorporate one or two compulsory lectures on creationism and intelligent design into its second-year course for zoology and genetics undergraduates.

Lecturers argue the theories will presented as fallacies irreconcilable with science. But the fact these "alternatives" may be formally discussed has sparked concern among scientists.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

My head hurts.

• zoiks
    zoiks

Here, Lord Plaugeis.... let me cut and paste some Advil onto your head.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

There is so much Cut and paste in your thread..I have no idea what the purpose of the thread is ..

......................... ...OUTLAW

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I'm not really sure what your argument is because you cut and pasted more than I care to read right now. I assume from other posts you've written that you disagree with classifying JWs as a cult. My basis for calling them a cult is by using Dr. Robert J Lifton's 8 criteria for thought reform. If you google him you can familiarize yourself with his work. I found that when honestly examining the points in his list, that the JWs are indeed a cult. Yes, it's an ugly word, usually has bad connotations, but the truth is the truth.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Does the OP actually have an opinion on this subject? Hard to tell looking at these unrelated cut/paste articles...

• zoiks
    zoiks

My basis for calling them a cult is by using Dr. Robert J Lifton's 8 criteria for thought reform

Yes, Serenitynow!, I recall looking at that list years ago and feeling strangely uncomfortable and defensive...coming up with reasons why I couldn't possibly be in a cult. Heh.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

Let me see if I can play.... Subject??? something I know??? something I am familar with???

DRUGS

Why I am not a drug addict.... what is a drug addit??

Drug Addiction Facts 1:

Drug abuse and drug addiction, according to the National Institute of Health, impacts all Americans, because we all pay the cost for it.

Drug Addiction Facts 2:

Statistics show that drug abuse and drug addiction cost Americans over $484 billion annually. This figure includes healthcare costs (and abuses of that system), lost job wages, traffic accidents, crime and the associated criminal justice system costs.

Drug Addiction Facts 3:

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, approximately 10 to 22 percent of car crashes involved drivers who have been using drugs.

Drug Addiction Facts 4:

Drug use and addiction is linked to at least half of the major crimes in this country, as at least half of the suspects arrested for violent crimes, such as homicide and assault, were under the influence of drugs when they were arrested.

Drug Addiction Facts 5:

Stress is a major factor in drug use and abuse.

Drug Addiction Final Fact 6:

Sadly, nearly two-thirds of people in drug abuse treatment report that they were physically or sexually abused as children. Child abuse is a major contributing factor to drug addiction.

Click here for Alcoholism Facts

Drug Addiction Facts

Here are some facts that may surprise or sadden you about drug abuse. As with most issues a bout addiction , there is much that is unexpected; the costs or much higher than expected and the causes are very sad. That fact that child abuse is such a strong predictor of abuse speaks volumes about the problem. See what you think:

Drug Addiction Facts 1:

Drug abuse and drug addiction, according to the National Institute of Health, impacts all Americans, because we all pay the cost for it.

Drug Addiction Facts 2:

Statistics show that drug abuse and drug addiction cost Americans over $484 billion annually. This figure includes healthcare costs (and abuses of that system), lost job wages, traffic accidents, crime and the associated criminal justice system costs.

Drug Addiction Facts 3:

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, approximately 10 to 22 percent of car crashes involved drivers who have been using drugs.

Drug Addiction Facts 4:

Drug use and addiction is linked to at least half of the major crimes in this country, as at least half of the suspects arrested for violent crimes, such as homicide and assault, were under the influence of drugs when they were arrested.

Drug Addiction Facts 5:

Stress is a major factor in drug use and abuse.

Drug Addiction Final Fact 6:

Sadly, nearly two-thirds of people in drug abuse treatment report that they were physically or sexually abused as children. Child abuse is a major contributing factor to drug addiction.

More Facts on Drug Addiction

Here are some statistics from the U.S. Department of Health and Family Services concerning drug abuse and addiction:

-- In 2006, an estimated 20.4 million Americans aged 12 or older were current (past month) illicit drug users, meaning they had used an illicit drug during the month prior to the survey interview. This estimate represents 8.3 percent of the population aged 12 years old or older. Illicit drugs include marijuana/hashish, cocaine (including crack), heroin, hallucinogens, inhalants, or prescription-type psychotherapeutics used non-medically.

-- In 2006, there were 2.4 million current cocaine users aged 12 or older, which was the same as in 2005 but greater than in 2002 when the number was 2.0 million. However, the rate of current cocaine use remained stable between 2002 and 2006.

-- Hallucinogens were used in the past month by 1.0 million persons aged 12 or older in 2006, including 528,000 who had used Ecstasy. These estimates are similar to the corresponding estimates for 2005.

-- There were 7.0 million persons aged 12 or older who used prescription-type psychotherapeutic drugs non-medically in the past month. Of these, 5.2 million used pain relievers, an increase from 4.7 million in 2005.

-- In 2006, there were an estimated 731,000 current users of methamphetamine aged 12 or older.

-- Among youths aged 12 to 17, current illicit drug use rates remained stable from 2005 to 2006. However, youth rates declined significantly between 2002 and 2006 for illicit drugs in general and for several specific drugs, including marijuana, hallucinogens, LSD, Ecstasy, prescription-type drugs used non-medically, pain relievers, tranquilizers, and the use of illicit drugs other than marijuana.

-- The rate of current marijuana use among youths aged 12 to 17 declined from 8.2 percent in 2002 to 6.7 percent in 2006.

-- Among persons aged 12 or older who used pain relievers non-medically in the past 12 months, 55.7 percent reported that the source of the drug the most recent time they used was from a friend or relative for free.

-- In 2006, there were 10.2 million persons aged 12 or older who reported driving under the influence of illicit drugs during the past year.

So if I don't use drugs for fun I could still become an addict.

OK So if I admit I have a problem what should I do?

The first key to beating drug addiction lies in understanding it: In identifying the causes of drug dependency, and in admitting that drug abuse is beyond the scope of an addict’s control. Only those drug addicts who recognize their addictions for what they actually are ever stand a chance of achieving substantive addiction recovery.

But you need help to beat drug addiction, and so it is that many drug rehab programs often begin with a successful intervention. By confronting an addict with the truth about his drug use and abuse, friends and family members can help spur the healing process. Ultimately, there’s no more powerful motivator than love and concern, and an addict who sees the impact of his behavior on the people he cares about is an addict who’s very likely to seek out professional substance abuse treatment.

In the end, of course, it’s the quality of that substance abuse treatment which will ultimately shape the course of an addict’s recovery. Drug addiction never dies easy, and only those drug rehab programs which serve the unique needs of their individual patients can hope to meet long-term success. Drug addiction is a personal thing, after all, and addiction recovery must be a personal undertaking.

Addiction recovery is also, we should note, an ongoing undertaking, one that doesn’t have any readily discernible endpoint. Sobriety, like drug addiction, is a lifestyle as much as a life goal, and staying clean over the long haul means actively choosing not to use. With that in mind, the most effective drug treatment programs provide for the long-term care of their residents, with the ultimate goal of helping patients beat drug dependency forever. If you or someone you love has succumbed to drug abuse, that’s the only outcome that could ever be good enough.

Drug Abuse and Drug Dependency

There are, to say the least, a litany of popular misconceptions about drug use and abuse. It’s important to understand that drug abuse grows out of drug dependency: That addicts use drugs because they have to, and that addicts can’t get sober simply by virtue of their wanting to. Addiction recovery, in other words, isn’t a question of conventional will.

Many people mistakenly assume that drug addiction is a choice, and that drug addicts use drugs because they want to. But that’s wrong: It’s not, and they don’t. On the contrary, drug addiction is a disease, a clinical disorder with clinical roots that requires, in the end, a clinical treatment plan. The simple truth is that anything less just won’t get the job done.

Again, drug addiction is a disease: a disease like cancer, a disease like Alzheimer’s. It would be absurd to expect a cancer patient to will his tumor away; it would be insane to expect an Alzheimer’s victim to wish his way to health. The same holds true for drug addiction: It can’t be eradicated without expert drug treatment from a professional drug treatment center.

Remember, you aren’t alone in your fight against drug addiction, not in a country where upwards of twelve million people show demonstrable signs of drug addiction. In 2004, the U.S. Department of Health and Human services found that almost five percent of the American population was engaged in habitual drug use and abuse, a startling figure by any standard. The good news, though, is that many of those drug addicts ultimately got help for their addictions…and that you can too, provided you see your drug addiction as it really is and seek out the treatment you’ll need to finally beat it.

This is fun....

I feel smart now!!!

everyone try it

it's AWSOME

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

How to Sew On a Button

By an eHow Contributing Writer Article Rating: ( 403 Ratings) Sew On a Button

Don't be afraid to do this yourself; people have been doing it for years. All you need is a needle and some matching thread and then follow the steps below and you'll see there's nothing to it.

%#Cstrong>

From Quick Guide: Sewing Guide

More: See All Articles in this Quick Guide Difficulty: Moderately Easy Instructions
    Things You'll Need:
    • Buttons
    • Sewing Baskets
    • Sewing Kits
    • Sewing Supplies
    • Threads
    • Scissors
    • Scissors
    1. Step1

Choose a button if you don't have the original. Look inside the clothing for the extra that manufacturers sometimes include, or buy one that matches the size and color of the other buttons.

2. Step2

Choose thread that either matches the thread color used on the other buttons, the color of the button or the color of the material.

3. Step3

Cut a piece of thread about 1/2 yard long (approximately finger to elbow).

4. Step4

Thread the needle, feeding the thread through the eyehole.

5. Step5

After the thread is through the eyehole, move the needle to the middle of the thread and fold the thread in half. Tie a knot at the end of the thread, where both ends of the thread meet. Tie another knot, so that the end is doubly secure. The thread should now be doubled and ready to sew.

6. Step6

Place the button on top of the material where you intend to sew it into place. You can put a match or toothpick in between the button and the material to give it the necessary slack.

7. Step7

From under the material, push the needle up through the material and one of the holes on the button. Pull all the way through until the knot is anchored against the material.

8. Step8

Push the needle down through the next hole on the button and through the material.

9. Step9

Repeat steps 7 and 8 three times, going up and down through the hole on the button and through the material, so that each hole is secured by multiple strands.

10. Step10

End with the needle on the material side and secure it with a knot. Double-knot this end.

Tips & Warnings
    • Your button can have two or four buttonholes or can be attached from underneath by one clasp - the steps remain the same.
    • Moisten the thread with your tongue before you try to thread it into the needle - this can stiffen it and make it easier to fit through the eyehole. You're right Darth, this is fun!!

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I just Pee'd my pants Mrs.Jones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit