Did your congregation have "Talent" Shows?

by lepermessiah 35 Replies latest jw friends

• trebor
    trebor

Back in 1994, before Yonkers East was split into two congregations to make Crestwood and the aforementioned, the biggest 'talent' show they had was called the 'Silvertop' gathering. It consisted basically of lip-syncing as well as performing to hits from the 50's and 60's. There was a Diana Ross skit, Elvis, and some others. Honestly, it was a good time and the congregation overall had a lot of fun.

However, that was the first and last. The [new] Circuit Overseer in town informed the congregation(s) that it was too much of a time consuming waste of time that could be better spent 'in the ministry' or in more 'personal study'.

It really was a shame, and you can see the disappointment coupled with the 'must follow orders' on the faces and reactions from the members in the Hall. There were kids as young as 8-9, and adults as old as 50-60 who performed, and it could definitely be seen as 'wholesome upbuilding association'. Yet, the Organization always finds a way to make the members feel guilty about doing anything outside of the Organization's activities and they're not doing enough in service to Jeh...THEM. The Watchtower Society controls it all. Sad.

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

However, that was the first and last. The [new] Circuit Overseer in town informed the congregation(s) that it was too much of a time consuming waste of time that could be better spent 'in the ministry' or in more 'personal study'.

My buddies and I were arranging a bunch of JW bands to get together and put on a show - the same thing happened to us.

The elders had a fit and got the C.O. involved. What a joke.

I was going to dedicate "Leper Messiah" by Metallica to him at the gig.......hahaha.

We were talking about doing a Metallica or Maiden tune there just to push the envelope - I was a MS at the time and was tired of people telling me what music I could and could not listen to.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

We did have talent shows, and awful as they were, we had fun.

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

I initiated them and used to organize them. It then became an annual congregation tradition.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• man in black
    man in black

In Crystal lake we would have shows where imdividuals would lip - sync a song and dress up .

It was pretty neat, but the elders came down pretty hard and ended them after we had two.

• sherah
    sherah

My halls had talent shows, some of the bible-based variety and some displaying the not-so talented singing/poetry reading/instrument playing abilities of the members. The theocratic talent shows were almost always boring, some had cute skits with funny scripts. But most sucked, bordering on WT-style dramas.

The talent shows featuring 'secular' entertain were better, it truly depended on if the performer had natural talent. I rocked as Tina Turner one year, lip-syncing of course. The show was put together by this controlling MS, you would've thought it was a Broadway production. My first and last participation in a talent show.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit