Did your congregation have "Talent" Shows?

by lepermessiah 35 Replies latest jw friends

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

I saw this video on Youtube and didnt know if I should laugh or crawl into the fetal position.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBM0t-qHlLc&feature=related

We had several "talent" shows over the years in my original congregation - it was the only annual gathering more nauseating that the meetings.

My friend and I would always bring our walkmans and blare heavy metal in the back - hoping to block out the embarassing crap on the stage.You always had a few older ones get up on stage and slaughter a Kingdumb Song.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Pass the kool aid... I'm ready to that big gulp towards the spaceship.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

That was God Awefull..

http://preaprez.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/gun-to-head.jpg

You could use them to Rob a Bank..

" Give us all your money or,these women are going to Sing!"..

............................ ...OUTLAW

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

Wow that song just got worse!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Boy, that brought back memories of Sister Love pounding on the piano during the song and the congregation singing off-key in my ear.

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

Our congregation had a talent show one year, in honor of a poor kid going off to Bethel. I must have been 13 or 14. My mother had me write an epic JW/Bethel-themed medley (to the tunes of "American Pie", the "Gilligan's Island" theme, and other random music) for her, me, and my sister to sing/dance.

It was pretty miserable, but at least it was funny (I had a sense of humor even then), and wasn't boring like the Kingdom Melodies that many other people sang. Those women in that video up there sound positively mournful.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

That sounds cool Brizzy. I helped out in a show when a releative when went to Bethel, we had several songs, not one of them a kingdom maladey.

Why must there always be someone who has to sing the same songs we endure 6 times a week?

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, we did and they were quite good, lot of musicians, singers, comedians, and amateur stage directors. It was amazing the talents you found.

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

In the same talent show, the daughter of the PO (who was actually a pretty decent, laid-back guy) and her friend sang No Doubt's "Just a Girl" and apparently it scandalized some of the more prissy congregation members. I guess good Witness girls shouldn't be singing "feminist dreck" :-\

But then, these were the same people who were offended by my referring to Job's wife as a "bitch" in my American Pie saga (hey, what else rhymes as well with "these boils are really starting to itch"?)

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Come on, all talent shows, get togethers, whatever, with whoever, can get downright corney and embarrassing ... but some people have fun with it, nothing wrong with having a little fun.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit