Elder "predicts" how many jws are going to live

by XPeterX 49 Replies latest jw friends

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

we had an elder in our cong over 20 years ago who spouted off the "good news would completed in our 20th century then the end would come line" and was convinced of it

• Quillsky
    Quillsky
    Sadly, I remember that myself, about 10 years ago, I would tell others JW in my congo who I thought would make it through Armageddon, and who would not. I recall saying that over 50% deserved to perish. When I think about it now, I am discusted at me.

Bless you darling, for realising this. Of course it's weird. It's not normal to think like this.

But you'll be okay. Forgive your parents, and stay conscious for the rest of your life.

• Gayle
    Gayle

What a evil religion!! First, taught, only JWs will survive Armageddon, so less than 1% of population. Second, they talk of only half or less of JWs will survive Armageddon. Then, third, it has been taught that at the end of the 1,000 yr. reign of Christ, that there will be another judgement and 'many' of those will be destroyed. Talk about depression,,

The JWs are a "destroy, destroy, destroy" religion.

• designs
    designs

Gayle,

Maybe they should include 'Another One Bites The Dust' in the Songbook.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Well, no more claiming more than 7 million. If only 50% are going to survive, it is 7.3 million X 0.5, or around 3.6 million. If only 20 out of 125 are going to make it, the formula is 7.3 million X (20/125), or 7,300,000 X (4/25); in straight decimals, it is 7.3 million X 0.16. We arrive at a number that is closer to 1.2 million.

WTWizard

LOL @ WTWizard . IMHO, you not only WTWizard but also a math wizard too.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I remember a pioneer who loved using the expression: "half of us are here to test the other half you know". Which I think meant that Jehovah uses some Jehovah's Witnesses, not because they have any chance of surviving Armageddon, but just so they can test the faithful JWs. Nice idea huh? The religion sure messes with people's heads alright.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's a crapshoot wrapped up to be truth when in fact it's all one big fairytale. I think of my family trapped inside and just shake my head.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

I think they should put those odds out there for you when you are considering studying with them. I think it would definitely cut down on the number of people bothering to join. "Hey Mrs. Newstudy. Before we get into the chapter on giving up Christmas and birthdays, perhaps we should discuss your 1 in 5 chances of even surviving Armageddon after going through this study, total humiliation at the doors, 150 embarrassing baptismal questions, thousands of hours of boring, useless meetings and public submersion?"

• Balsam
    Balsam

Yah I remember those scary Circuit Overseers talks when they came around telling us most of us would not make it that only the most loyal and faithful would survive. I often thought so what is the point of putting forth the effort, I'll just go home and wait for the end and relax. LOL

Ruth

• flipper
    flipper

XPETERX- Interesting situation. The spirit of judging others worthy or unworthy of surviving Armageddon permeates in the Jehovah's Witnesses organization all the way from the top down. So the elder and witnesses you spoke of are only imitating that same mentality passed down from the GB to Circuit Overseers to elders to husbands to wives to their JW children. If you think about it - the WT society not only ITSELF claims to BE Jehovah or take Jesus position of judging - but most ALL Jehovah's Witnesses put themselves in God's position of judging people worthy or unworthy also. Basically - they are insane . They are out of touch with reality

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit