Say NO to a mosque at Ground Zero!!

by Scully 108 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving
    Good question. The Financial District is the fastest growing residential area in Manhattan. It used to be a ghost town nights and weekends when the office workers cleared out. New residents lack amenities like swimming pools, basketball courts, a performing arts center, libraries, even supermarkets. The Cordoba Initiative sold this idea to Community Board 1 on the basis that it would be operated like the (very successful) 92nd Street Y, a non-profit Jewish institution open to all faiths.

thanks for that betterdaze. sounds like a good idea then, having already been tried and tested

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Is that truly the best comeback you can come up with NVL?

There was no point to rebutt. You just started name calling and trying to make up ficticious arguments when you didn't know jack shit about the form of government of the US or it's religious freedmoms and lack of a state religion. You just started spouting off about something to change to subject.

No rebuttal for the fact that living over here offers you far more freedoms and liberties than living under an Islamic regime?

Since I never argued that it wasn't different, there was nothing to rebutt. In fact, I claimed that the US did is fact offer more freedoms and variety. So it would seem that you realize I am correct and are supporting me saying that.

• Mary
    Mary
    strawman argument mary. I think this is what notverylikey is trying to say to you.

Since notverylikely insists that Islam is no worse that Christianity, I gave him a scenario that might make him re-think what he posted. It's not a 'strawman argument', it's a very realistic argument---one that he has no intelligent answer to.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Since notverylikely insists that Islam is no worse that Christianity

I didn't insist that at all, Mary.

I gave him a scenario that might make him re-think what he posted

Not really. I haven't yet had to think to prove how little substance and truth your arguments have. Besides which, you didn't provide a scenario, you basically said "leave if you don't like it here, you wouldn't last in those places". Which is really just trying to acting tough when you're getting a mental ass whooping.

Besides, I like it here just fine. The rightds protect all, not just people like you.

It's not a 'strawman argument', it's a very realistic argument---one that he has no intelligent answer to.

It's a strawman because you have provided anything for me to rebutt. You just threw out a tantrum and are now trying to claim I somehow said living in Saudia Arabia would be awesome. Since I didn't and you have been well informed of that, you're either just willfully stupid again or just willfully lying. You're probably a secret muslim, too.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Someone mentioned on the prior page that moderate Muslims are not speaking up. I think they often do, but most don't listen. This is a problem I have discussed repeatedly with my Muslim friends. Since there is no one pope-like "leader" in Islam, it is hard to get out the message. They need to take a page from the Jewish Lobby's playbook, and become much more organized.

This is from the link I posted earlier. ...sounds like very balanced reasoning to me. :)

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2010/06/06/a_mosque_at_ground_zero/

Of particular interest are the views of leading Muslim moderates — Muslims known for their commitment to tolerance and pluralism, and for their opposition to all forms of radical Islam.

One such individual is Zuhdi Jasser, a physician, US Navy veteran, and founder of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy.

Jasser reminisced last week about his family’s history of building mosques in the heartland communities where they lived. His parents, Syrian immigrants to the United States, helped create the Fox Valley Islamic Center in Neenah, Wis., in 1980. “This was during the Iranian hostage crisis,’’ he recalled, “and some of the local residents wanted the Zoning Commission to prevent the mosque from going forward.’’ But the commissioners gave their blessing to the project, and the modest mosque — the construction budget was just $80,000 — became part of the neighborhood. Later the family later moved to western Arkansas, where they joined with others to create the Islamic Center of Fort Smith. As recently as March, Jasser came out in support of Muslims in Sheboygan, Wis., whose plans for a new place of worship were meeting with vocal resistance.

But he adamantly opposes the ground zero mosque.

“For us, a mosque was always a place to pray, to be together on holidays — not a way to make an ostentatious architectural statement,’’ Jasser said. “Ground zero shouldn’t be about promoting Islam. It’s the place where war was declared on us as Americans.’’ To use that space for Muslim outreach, he argues, is “the worst form of misjudgment.’’

Equally opposed is Stephen Suleyman Schwartz, a devout Muslim and director of the Center for Islamic Pluralism in Washington.

Schwartz notes that the spiritual leader of the Cordoba Initiative, Imam Feisal Abdul Rauf, describes himself as a Sufi — a Muslim focused on Islamic mysticism and spiritual wisdom. But “building a 15-story Islamic center at ground zero isn’t something a Sufi would do,’’ according to Schwartz, also a practitioner of Sufism. “Sufism is supposed to be based on sensitivity toward others,’’ yet Cordoba House comes across as “grossly insensitive.’’ He rejects Rauf’s stance that a highly visible Muslim presence at ground zero is the way to make a statement opposing what happened on 9/11. Better, in his view, is the approach of many Muslims “who hate terrorism and who have gone privately to the site and recited prayers for the dead silently and unperceived by others.’’

Ali al-Ahmed, a Saudi native who founded the Institute for Gulf Affairs and is an advocate for civil rights and religious freedom in the Middle East, hopes for the best from Cordoba House. “A mosque should be a good thing,’’ he told me. But he worries about the number of Americans who may be “hurt and upset’’ by the project, and wonders whether a mosque is really the best thing for Muslims to build so close to ground zero. Why not something less emotionally charged, he asks — a social-service agency, perhaps, or an assisted living center for the elderly?

Muslims must take the feelings of Americans into account, Ahmed contends. He cites no less an Islamic authority than the Imam Ali, Mohammed’s influential son-in-law. “Reconciliation of your differences,’’ says Imam Ali in the collection of teachings known as the Peak of Eloquence, “is more worthy than all prayers and fasting.’’

• Dark Side
    Dark Side

Islam is conducting a war against America...not against christianity. It's against democracy and capitalism. Muslums killed their own people in the 9/11 attacts. Their war is against our society and way of life. WAKE UP AMERICA! Stop apologizing for those who want to destroy us.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Islam is conducting a war against America...not against christianity. It's against democracy and capitalism. Muslums killed their own people in the 9/11 attacts. Their war is against our society and way of life. WAKE UP AMERICA! Stop apologizing for those who want to destroy us.

Hitler and his regime were saying the same thing about the Jews.

• Mary
    Mary
    Since I never argued that it wasn't different, there was nothing to rebutt. In fact, I claimed that the US did is fact offer more freedoms and variety. So it would seem that you realize I am correct and are supporting me saying that.

In that case, I do apologize. From what you posted, I took it to mean that you felt that living under the government of the West, was no different than living under an Islamic regime.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

In regards to the protest sign in one of the photos above, "Islam Hates Gays", are there any Islamic denominations that allow openly gay and lesbian members or openly gay or lesbian leaders?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Islam is conducting a war against America

So, who is islam? all muslims? just some? do they have a website? a war department?

Hitler and his regime were saying the same thing about the Jews.

It was true in our case? I mean, we DO have the protocols of the elders of zion, after all...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit