The Grandest "witness" that each of us could give to the world looks to be shortly upon us. Will you be there? (In honor of Ray Franz)

by StoneWall 58 Replies latest jw friends

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

Many of us are aware of the stroke that Raymond Franz had yesterday,
    that he is on life support and it doesn't look like he is going to pull through.
    Someone on another thread mentioned if he didn't survive how many
    was planning on attending his funeral.
    To me this deserves its own thread.

Many on here talk about meet-ups,apostafests,get togethers,
    dinner dates and various other social events to meet like minded
    individuals or just someone who maybe,hopefully can understand what
    they went through or are going through as relates to either being raised
    a JW,marrying a JW or being involved with the WTBTS in someway.

But I ask what better way is there to meet than in honor of someone who
    helped so many to see the truth about the "truth" and help so many to come
    to grips with their doubts,fears,anxieties over the WT organization?
    To me Ray has done no less than what people such as Martin Luther did
    when they were willing to stand up to the establishment, all in the name of
    truth and in searching for the truth and not just what some men told them was
    the "truth".

Remember how the WT Society has mentioned in print and from the
    platform countless times how those who leave the Organization are bitter,
    oppressive, ravenous wolves with no hope and only trying to mislead
    and draw a following after themselves. Ray appeared to be none of those
    things. How it must still to this day bother the Governoring Body of the WT
    that all the things they predicted as far as dates failed, along with all the things
    they said would happen to those who left the "safety" of the Org has failed as
    well. Ray was a constant reminder to them of the error of their ways.

The first ever doubt about the organization that I can recall from memory
    had to do with Ray being a former member of the GB and how could one
    such as he leave Jah's Organization being so high up and not be struck
    by lightning. (I was a teenager and it helped plant the first seeds)

So I would like to take this opportunity to express my thanks and appreciation
    to a man who lit the way for so many of us to see the way out of a dark,controlling,
    manipulative man-made organization. Thank you Ray Franz.

If he does die can you imagine the "witness" to the world as well as particularly
    current J.W.'s if a lot of us showed up for the funeral to show our respects,
    give our condolences in person, as well as sent flowers,cards etc.
    It would show them how much he was truly loved,admired and respected as a
    person.
    Not as a label such as "Apostate","former member" etc.

In closing I'm planning on attending the funeral (if open to the public and not a private memorial)
    even though it will be hours of driving time.
    How about you? Any of you hoping to get to attend or planning on going?

• not a captive
    not a captive

It may be a time that every newspaper editor should receive a respectful letter to note the quiet faith and integrity of a Chriistian who mildly and firmly followed his Lord even when it meant complete ostracism. Worshiping in spirit and in Truth cost Ray and Cynthia dearly dearly.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

Would someone with some very good writing skills please draft something up. I would like to submit it to all of my local newspapers.

Also, where will the funeral be. I need to make arrangements.

Lastly, I don't think this would be a "witness" to anyone like you might think. All JWs are going to think is, "See how they follow the man of lawlessness....." That is not what this is about. It is about a man who deserves to be honored. PERIOD.

• bluesapphire
    bluesapphire

In addition, Cynthia may need some monetary help at this time. Someone close to them could open up a fund and we could deposit $1, $5 or $10 into it. Whatever. It would come in handy so she doesn't spend her last years on this earth missing her husband in poverty.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

As far as I know Ray was still organizing the sales of his books. I don't know if he made any plans for when he is no longer around, but I hope they will continue to be available.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Is it just me or does anyone else feel that all of this talk of a funeral, plans for what to do after his death, etc. is a bit ghoulish. It's almost as if some are hoping for his death. I'm getting a mental picture of vultures circling. Just imagine if his loved ones saw this thread for example, people making plans as if he is dead already, that's really supportive!

• not a captive
    not a captive

Dear serenity, Check out the thread "Ray Franz had a stroke today.." it has other information of a supportive and comforting nature.

Blue sapphire, that same site has Ray and Cynthia's address.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

It seems that we are getting reports from very reliable sources that Ray is brain dead and if Cynthia decides to remove Ray from the mechanical ventilator he will die immediately. I do not think it is premature to talk about a funeral at all.

I live about an hour from where Ray does. I would love to attend the funeral if it is at a time that I can. I would love to meet any of you that will be there.

• not a captive
    not a captive

Sorry, blue sapphire, the post is by Paulg123 , someone related to the Franz' .

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

serenitynow!

I sure hope it doesn't come across to his family/friends as you described. Such was not my intent.

Even in my opening post near the end you can see where I had typed if he does die, not that he will.

That is why even in the thread title I put in honor of Ray not in memory of Ray.

I'm hoping he pulls through and that both he and his family will be able to go back and look at these threads

over the last two days and see how much love and support is being sent to both he and his wife during this

health crisis.

And hopefully he will see that people that had never met him in person were so affected positively in their life by his

words and actions, were willing to put their own lives on hold, to be there to try and provide some form of comfort

and support for his wife,whom he dearly loves.

I can't speak for him, but I know it would mean a lot to me if something I said or done had helped even just one person

and they in turn tried to be there for my wife in her time of need and sorrow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit