Ray Franz has had a stroke

by coffee_black 211 Replies latest jw friends

• noni1974
    noni1974

Peace be with you Ray and Cynthia.

• lanzarote
    lanzarote

I find it very sad that my first post arrives at the very time Ray Franz has suffered such a tragic event.

Like others, it is good to be aware of the family address so that cards and other expressions of love and concern can reach his wife , to fortify her in this extremely difficult time.

I have read both of Rays books and the overwhelming thing that struck me about them was his humility, truthfulness and the christian argumentation he used that avoided weaknesses such as bitterness and hurtful language.

Surprisingly, I found myself MORE sure of Gods word and purpose after reading them than I expected; my faith was NOT destroyed and I did not feel adrift at sea.

Rays experience confirmed for me that we are responsible for our actions / reactions and as so many have already said, it takes courage to stand up and speak truth and more challengingly to live it.

Ray has set a good modern day example of this and clearly from the comments I have noted below he has had a huge positive impact on many persons around the world.

That would be great to be said of each one of us at some time in the future.

My thoughts are with his wife and his close friends who know him best of all.

Lanzarote

• deeskis1
    deeskis1

I hardly ever post here, but need to show my sadness and appreciation to Ray and Cynthia for being therefor so many struggling with the inconsistencies of "the lie".

It was going to happen sooner rather than later, but the inevitable is still a bitter pill to swallow.

Ray Franz will be sorely missed :(

• Heaven
    Heaven

I shouldn't be reading this at work. I just want to cry right now. I hope one day that I can get my Dad to read his book. It might help him a lot. Ray's work will go on after he is gone and I think it will help many, many more people. He's quite a guy.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Updating,

It is confirmed that Cynthia will be signing the papers this morning to remove Ray from life support.

If anyone has posted their address on the internet, it is requested that you remove it for the safety of Cynthia and those who are with her. I know it would be nice to send cards, but the exposure of their address puts them at risk, as there are those who would do them harm. Cynthia has been receiving calls non stop, to the point that she can't keep up with them. She is exhausted, and needs her rest during the time she is at home. Please consider this if you decide to call.

Ray's will says he is to be cremated, and that there is to be no funeral service or memorial.

I don't know if anyone has prepared a statement for the press. I have passed this question on to Dan, who doesn't know at this time. I am sure it will be done when the time comes.

Coffee

• designs
    designs

Coffee,

Thanks for sharing this news about Ray and Cynthia. Its hard to get our minds around the past 30 years and the courage Ray and Cynthia have shown.

They were the Freedom Train for so many.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I wish there was some sort of gathering of remembrace. Sort of a rally to continue what Ray started.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

When I was a child, Ray and Cynthia were friends of my parents' friends in our congregation. They would come to visit - I remember how excited everyone was that a Member of The Governing Body was coming - you know how that is - the barely concealed excitement that a Chosen One was visiting and you might actually get a chance to see them or maybe (gasp) talk to them! Talk about worship...

Of course, I was lectured quite thoroughly about how to behave and what to do when in the presence of the Nearly Divine...

And then I met them. They were the kindest, most down to earth couple. Even as a child, I felt that they were genuinely interested in me - not at all like what I had been prepared to expect. Humble, loving, kind. Over 30 years later, I still remember them so clearly. I remember thinking that this was a truly spiritual and loving man - turns out that I wasn't wrong.

Then I remember ordering his book - only a couple of years ago - and reading it. Growing up, even having that book was grounds for DFing - remember? And so it was with a pounding heart and a paranoia I ordered it and kept it well hidden...of course reading it confirmed what I had already learned - but for those who say it is full of lies - I am a personal witness that the information in it is true. I KNEW these people - I lived through the Malawi horror - every bit of it rang true. And yet - it is still an extraordinarily kind and forgiving account.

My heart is so sad today.

• Lady Viola
    Lady Viola

Thank you for this update. My thoughts are with Cynthia and the hard time she will have to go through... I will remember her in my prayers.

I think the wishes in Raymond's will show what a modest person he was.

I am writing this at work and I am getting choked up all day about the news...

Warm love from the Netherlands.

• wizzy812
    wizzy812

Lately I have been making memorials. I've been putting a matted photo's of the loved one in a box frame with a beautiful butterfly. I put a personalized plate with their name, birth and death date. I put their favorite scripture on a plate at the bottom. I would like to make one for cynthia.

I have his home address in Wiston. I don't know if it's the same one. I know it isn't wise to post his address. Does anyone know how to ensure Cynthia will get this? Does anyone have a nice photo of him they can send me? I need to choose the best butterfly to incorporate. I need to choose one that will bring out colors in the photo. I will help direct peoples attention to Ray. Does anyone know Rays or Cynthia's favorite scripture?

I'm not asking for his address. I just want to know someone who can personally give this to Cynthia.

Todd

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit