A few new pictures from Alaska

by upnorth 38 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

I want to go too. Maybe summer next year. Alaska is quite different than where I live--a subtropical land only a few feet above sealevel and flat as a pancake. All those mountains, glaciers. All the wildness. Sounds awesome.

BTS

• JeffT
    JeffT

I looked into a job in Juneau a long time ago. Then I found out that it rains there about three times as much as Seattle. I suppose that the people there adjust just like we do here - have some coffee and ignore it.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Beautiful pics!! Thanks for sharing.

• crapola
    crapola

I really enjoyed the tour. Thanks for sharing.

• Highlander
    Highlander

I lived there for about 6 months while working a seasonal job. I loved it so much that I wanted to stay but I ran out of money before I found a permanent job. I sold my junk car, bought a plane ticket and returned to my home state with my tail between my legs.

It's been about 15 years since my trip there, but I still miss it. It's such a beautiful place. It would take many lifetimes to see and explore everything that Alaska has to offer.

• man in black
    man in black

very nice

• upnorth
    upnorth

You're all very welcome

As for Juneau, ---JeffT--- is right it does rain too much. It didn't rain the week I was working there. I noticed a few businesses in downtown with signs scribbled on copy paper and taped to the windows.

"The weather is too nice we are closed."

Most of Alaska counts its rain fall in inches, Juneau and most of the other "panhandle" towns count the rain fall in feet.

I worked on a core drill 15 miles outside of Wrangell (south of Juneau) when I was a kid. The particular spot where the camp was at got annual rain fall of 14 feet. It was crap to work in but when the rain did stop it was beautiful.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Glad you got to take some pictures while the weather was nice and thank you so much for sharing!

It looks wonderful but lonely!!

Do most that live in Alaska come from there or move there from the states?

Hope you don't mind I helped myself to a few more of your videos...

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Beautiful pictures. If you like Alaska and you like to read, check out the Book "Alaska" by James Michner.

It is historical fiction from the time of the Wooly Mamoth to the 1980's.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Thank you for sharing those upnorth. I have to find my way there soon. Absolutely beautiful.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit