A few new pictures from Alaska

by upnorth 38 Replies latest jw friends

• upnorth
    upnorth
    Do most that live in Alaska come from there or move there from the states?
    Hope you don't mind I helped myself to a few more of your videos...

Most of the non-native people I know were born elsewhere. A large number of people that live here, were brought here because of military service and they stayed after they got out. Many arrived during the construction of the pipeline and stayed. I was here briefly as a teenager with my family and I returned as soon as I could. I graduated High School in 1980 and moved here in 1982.

Borrow as many videos and pictures as you want

• upnorth
    upnorth

B4UDIE

That was a motto the visitors bureau had come up with a year or so back. They had it displayed like a license plate I thought it was brilliant, I think they retired it too quickly.

I have Internet friends that I converse with on other bulletin boards/chat rooms/forum, whatever. I remember 2 in particular that I used to talk to, they had plans on visiting "someday".

One died this spring after a very short battle with a brain tumor, the other died unexpectedly in his sleep 2 years ago. I had met both of them in person several years ago. About 20 of us from this one forum decided to meet face to face, it was 2003. We met at Lake Texnoma for a Texas style BBQ, we met, he ate, we had a few beers and made life long friends.

Visit in the summer, visit during winter I guarantee you'll never find a place like this.

May, June, July are the best summer months to visit August can be anything.

On a happier note this is one of my neighbors stories.

My neighbor (Jim) was a general contractor in Oregon 30 years ago. He had a family member that had moved to Anchorage and that family member invited him to take a few days off and come up and help him add a deck to the front of his home. Jim made the trip up to build the deck, he built it, decide this place was to beautiful and never went back home.

• Hopscotch
    Hopscotch

Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos with us upnorth.

Hopscotch

• upnorth
    upnorth

You are welcome Hopscotch

One detail I left out was I order to take the sunset pictures, I had to wait until 11:30 to mid-night for the goofy thing to go away.

I've taken pictures of the sunset while on Maui and the sun moves from touching the horizon to gone in a few moments.

The Midnight Sun isn't in to big of a hurry to go anywhere, it was from horizon to gone in maybe an hour or longer.

• Lieu
    Lieu

Nice snaps. Beautiful place.

Too bad it rains too much and is dark near 6 months out of a year. (aka forever night)

• upnorth
    upnorth
    Too bad it rains too much and is dark near 6 months out of a year. (aka forever night)

The heavy rain only applies to the southwest coastal areas, they are temperate rain forest. The rest of the state has weather similar to Minnesota , Montana, north & South Dakota.

The darkness for 6 months doesn't happen in Anchorage, mid-winter at it's worst we have sunrise at 9 AM and sunset at 3 pm. In the summer it doesn't get any darker then dusk between mid-night and 3 AM

Because of that I associate dark with winter and daylight with summer. It works well uphere. I makes me feel weird when I'm in a state like Florida or Hawaii and it's dark and warm outside.

• Scott77
    Scott77

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. Whenever I read or hear about Alaska, it reminds of Sarah Palin. By the way, is it possible for one to drive from US to Alask by road?

• upnorth
    upnorth

Yes there is a road to/from Alaska.

I've driven it 5 or so times, It's very scenic.

• upnorth
    upnorth

I was up late so I took a few subject worthless photos.

the time of day is what is important

all 3 of these were taken today at 1 AM

The picture below was first, I forgot to turn off the flash

Even at ground level it's not black

Now you know

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit