Watchtower Elders Disfellowship an Elder After Talk- Very Shocking And Troubling

by Scott77 52 Replies latest social current

• blondie
    blondie

I find this hard to believe, the WTS itself quotes from various bible translations when it suits them. Here's one of 9 times just from the NIV in the 2009 WT.

*** w09 2/1 p. 4 Who Is God? ***So the key to knowing God is found in the teachings of Jesus Christ, the Son of God. In fact, Jesus promises us: “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”—John 8:31, 32, The Holy Bible—New International Version.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

In my mind, this is in the category of Urban Legend.

The Society quotes from other translations very often. I'm not sure at the moment, but the Society has printed numerous Bible translations. In fact, Byington's translation has always been highly regarded by the Society since it tends to use Jehovah instead of Lord as many other version do.

If there is any truth to this, then it has to do with other factors, such as using another translation to disprove a JW teaching.

Rub a Dub

• blondie
    blondie

I can see that disobeying the elders even when they are wrong and making it a public thing could get someone booted...but not for the so-called original offense.

• wobble
    wobble

I don't think this will ever be "colloberated ". (see original post for this interesting neologism)

• not a captive
    not a captive

I love this thread: Goes to show that when people really want the truth about something, they just refuse to swallow cock-and-bull if its not properly cooked!

We "apostates" are particular about what we accept as true.

• Think About It
    Think About It

This was a long time ago, but I use to use the King James version in my door to door presentation because it was the accepted version in most of the territory. While I doubt this particular experience happened, I could see it potentially happening. The WTS of today is a paranoid organization that demands 100% thought & belief compliance. With so many liberal, free thinking elders having left, I could see an isolated congregation having hard core, uberdub elders that would strong arm someone they had a personal vendetta against using an issue such as this.

Think About It

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I like the part where they sandwich the guy when he comes off the platform! This is a story with some real drama! Did a Governing Body member parachute in from a private plane and lead a committe? I hear they do that all the time when you use other translations.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

When I was at Bethel (and most of my talk giving time) Half of the scriptures I read were from the living bible. Never has anyone said anything about it.

I agree with Betterdaze!

• laverite
    laverite

I read through the initial post once and said to myself "No way. Not true." I read through it again one more time and was even more convinced that there is no way this story is true. There's a long history of using different versions of the Bible in the WT literature and I have heard examples in talks, too. This story does not ring true. That's what I conclude after reading it. If, however, there is some proof, other than a story that was told to someone who told someone else who told someone else, then someone post that, please. What I really like about us "apostates" is that we want evidence. We're a skeptical bunch.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

The version I heard actually said it was two Smurfs who sandwiched the Elder and dragged himout back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit