A better way of doing it, with regards to the 'God' question. If you're a theist or deist, please answer this question.

by Psychotic Parrot 86 Replies latest jw friends

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

agonus,

I'm grateful to be in control yes.

• agonus
    agonus

If God is pure love (and perhaps he/she/it is), well, have you ever held your own newborn child in your arms?

For me, that's as God as it gets.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

journey-on,

When you stop insisting that God be something for you or give you something you want or think you need, perhaps a glimmer of light will get through. I think it is like something being transmitted all the time, but there needs to be a tool/receiver to experience it. We are each and every one operating like a unique receiver. I don't know....I'm just brainstorming it.

The problem with this statement is that i've never met a single person who doesn't claim that they were this way before God found them, so clearly being this way isn't an obstacle to being found by God. Everyone is waiting for God to give them something until he finally comes along & shows them otherwise. If God really is looking for those who haven't thought hard about it, then i would say that He has poor taste in people.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

agonus,

If God is pure love (and perhaps he/she/it is), well, have you ever held your own newborn child in your arms?

For me, that's as God as it gets.

I'll get back to you if & when that happens, i'm only 22.

• agonus
    agonus

I was only 25. :)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I'm grateful to be in control yes.

Control, to an extent, is an illusion.

We only have as much control of things as we can have at any given time.

Sometimes itis that very deire to control that keeps us from God, since God is all about giving ( to Us) and we are all about receiveing ( from God), but to do that, God must be in Us and Us in God.

The gift of Grace is a prime example, given free by God, we don't have to do anything to deserve it, but we do have to receive it, just like any other gift or it will just lay there on the coffee table getting dusty.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

If the God you believe in is anything like the God which 99.99% of believers believe in

It isn't.

then it will most certainly be the God i am talking about.

It isn't.

If not then you are most probably a pantheist or something similar to that

I'm not, as far as I can tell, but since you reject pantheism as descriptive of God it's rather moot, eh?

In the broadest sense, God generally means the creator of the universe, but for most people it isn't quite as simple as that.

As with most of us coming out of the dub world, this description belies a particular mindset shared by most Western Judeo-Christian faiths. The concern, though, is that there are usually further trappings - that this creator is also a judge, that this creator has laws to be followed, that this creator administers an afterlife, that this creator has plans, that this creator has a personality, that this creator has an emotional makeup...so, I wonder how much of this baggage is presumed in your question.

And, as you say, "for most people it isn't quite as simple as that." I suspect that is true for you, as well. You seem to have some specific notions about what God isn't - that's helpful, I suppose.

Anyway, i've answered your questions

Well, actually you've more told me what you think others mean when they say "God".

will you now answer mine?

I am not theist, deist, nor pantheist, though pantheism is a reasonable approach to the question IMHO. Nor am I polytheist, which you haven't touched on - though millions do.

For me, "God" is a label for a yearning or impetus for manifestation. Perhaps when we know something about abiogenesis and the initiation of the Big Bang, I can retire this label. It's another way of saying "I don't intellectually understand it", though from an experiential sense I contact it.

This is not a reference to a personality nor plan. It is not necessarily pantheistic since it does not imbue the material universe with divinity per se.

I also use "God" as a label for what some call "the ground of consciousness", another experiential touchpoint that has foundation more in Buddhist tradition than Judeo-Christian. Another case of a lack of a satisfying intellectual paradigm (perhaps Jungian collective unconscious makes a stab at the function, though perhaps not the structure or process).

This is not a reference to a personality nor plan, either. It is a label for a subjective experiential construct.

Perhaps my answer is not relevent to your question.

• journey-on
    journey-on

By being open to the reception, you are not losing control. It is like an upgrade to the tool that enables you to experience creation and your own life more consciously.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Agonus: Or maybe... it's the same thing? ;-)

PSacramento: I get you.

Journey-On: Surrender is not death. ;-)

• agonus
    agonus

God is a metaphysical fractal. That's the best way I can describe it. Macrocosm within the microcosm, that sort of thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit