A better way of doing it, with regards to the 'God' question. If you're a theist or deist, please answer this question.

by Psychotic Parrot 86 Replies latest jw friends

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

Why are you a theist or a deist? Please give any or all reasons why WITHOUT resorting to a God of the gaps argument. That is the only condition i am making, since in my (& presumably every other atheist's) opinion, a God of the gaps argument simply isn't convincing enough to demonstrate that there is a God, only that there might be a God.

Thank you.

P.S. I shan't be critiquing your answers, as i do respect people's opinions, & i only resort to anger when people put words in my mouth (as any truly observant person will have noticed), but i've made sure not to allow that in this thread by keeping the opening post simple & to the point. I will be reading any answers that are given though & i am interested & will respond to any questions you'd like to ask me about why i reject theism & deism.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Why am I a theist?

I am a theist due to the fact that belief in a Creator appeases my hunger to know why I exist.

I said appeases, not satisfies.

Syl

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I don't assert that God exists, though I use the term as a holder for certain processes.

I don't believe there is any objective evidence for the existance of God.

I am interested in how you define God, functionally or otherwise.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

Well, it isn't i who is defining God, it is the believer. However, i have not yet encountered a single deist or theist concept of God whose existence can be demonstrated. I would perhaps make an exception for pantheists, since they are merely asserting that God is nature, but in that case, i personally think that they are being misleading by referring to it as God, they might as well just call it nature.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Because I feel like it.

BTS

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

You probably became a believer when you found out Richard Dawkins was an atheist.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    You probably became a believer when you found out Richard Dawkins was an atheist.

I thought you were going to respect people's opinions?

It is really because I FEEL LIKE IT. It is my choice. I choose to believe in God. I could also choose to not believe. However, it doesn't suit me.

BTS

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

Yeah but i don't like you.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Well, it isn't i who is defining God, it is the believer. However, i have not yet encountered a single deist or theist concept of God whose existence can be demonstrated. I would perhaps make an exception for pantheists, since they are merely asserting that God is nature, but in that case, i personally think that they are being misleading by referring to it as God

You've caught yourself up in a bit of a pickle. Either you are not going to define what you mean by God and let others do it, or you need to let others define it. Which will it be?

By your use of the term, you have something in mind. By your exposition, you have something in mind.

So...what do you mean by "God"?

Because it would be pretty silly for me to express a belief in something just to have you tell me that's not what you're talking about.

• agonus
    agonus

I've been through too much weird shit to deny that there's SOMETHING out there greater than me. A higher intelligence/power, if you will. If the words "God" or "Creator" offend you, call it something else. I don't always use those words myself. But IT is out there, whatever it is... damned if I know what "it" wants from me though...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit