How Were YOU Treated In Your Hall?

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

ouch

• dandingus
    dandingus
    There were 2 classes of people---those without $$$ and those with. I would notice how those less fortunate would look down upon those with money.

We had those same two classes in my congregation, but it was the other way around. IF you DIDN'T have money you were looked down upon because there were a lot of closely related families with old money that thought they were all better than everyone else.

Were you a fish out of water?
    Were you popular in your congregation?
    Were you a "marked" person?

I was generally well liked, but was still always kept at arms length by everyone. Sometimes it was because I didn't have enough money to fit in with the rich snobs. And sometimes it was even because I was "too goody goody" for some and they were affraid I'd rat them out to the elders!

Either way I couldn't win no matter what I did as far as making friends. But I can't say I was ever "marked". I was very straight-laced. Too much so, really, in hindsight.

• flipper
    flipper

In my last congregation I was treated like poo-poo turds . No actually people treat their turds better- at least IT gets wiped ! I was allowed to dry out in the corner and be stomped on by the elders into dusty feces blowing around in the air . I guess that answers your question satisfactorily. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I was VERY active in my hall. And I was treated very well. I got along with basically everybody, are don't remember ever having a quarrel with anybody in 25 years.

-mentallyfree31-

• 4thgen
    4thgen

I've seen life on both sides. As being the in family of an elder, I think some were intimidated by us at times. We had a nice house and some disposable income. Yet we were very hospitable to everyone not just the so-called: elite. We had book study in our home for years and always invited those to stay after for coffee, etc.

Things changed when I took a stand against my husband’s abuse. He was dealt with (somewhat) judicially, but when I divorced him because of his continued behavior and withholding means of support, I was viewed as Jezebel with a bad case of leprosy. Very often when I walked in the hall I felt I should have a stick in front of me beating the ground while yelling "Unclean! Unclean!" That's how much people scattered from me.

The elders told me that some of the brothers were afraid that I was going to rally the wives in some sort of revolt. If I kept quiet I would not be 'dealt with'. Well, I did keep quiet and yet I was marked privately anyway. Some turned with a vengeance and those who were afraid of a massive uprising warned their wives against associating with me. It was a terrible time. There were a few brave, loyal friends that stuck by me in private, but few acknowledged me publically or invited me anywhere.

Although this has been tough, I would not make a different decision. I only would have divorced the bum sooner. (Maybe I should have rallied the sisters! What fun that would have been!)

• WhoYourDaddy
    WhoYourDaddy

It says nothing about you. It says EVERYTHING about them.

Be strong. Stay away from the cult.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I was treated well. I was good at toeing the line and kept my doubts to myself like a good doormat. So yeah, I don't have any complaints about treatment by fellow JWs. That being said, I was not the socializing sort, so I was mostly closed off from the rest by choice when it came to settings outside the KH.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit