Cougars beware – having a much younger husband can send a woman to an early grave

by Scott77 50 Replies latest social relationships

• Scott77
    Scott77

Women who marry men seven to nine years their junior could be upping their odds of dying sooner, German researchers report.

"One of the few possible explanations is that couples with younger husbands violate social norms and thus suffer from social sanctions," Sven Drefahl, from the Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research (MPIDR) in Rostock, Germany, said in a news release. Such couples could therefore be stigmatized as outsiders -- receiving less social support, enduring a more stressful life and perhaps developing poorer health as a result, Drefahl speculated.

Please, what is your reaction to this new research finding? Here is a link to the article.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7715375/Being-a-cougar-can-send-a-woman-to-an-early-grave.html

• White Dove
    White Dove

REALLY?! Nutter married a man 24 years her senior. YAY! Problem will soon resolve itself

(refering to "help! betrayed!")

• tec
    tec

I think that's opposite of a cougar, White Dove.

Sorry, hon :)

Tammy

• palmtree67
    palmtree67

My man is 10 years younger than me. We have lots of friends who know the age difference and love us. No one else guesses there is an age difference and we don't say.

Plus we get along great. He's the best thing that ever happened to me and I know I'm good for him.

Women live about 10 years longer than men. So maybe we'll die around the same time.

• White Dove
    White Dove

I learned in psychology class that if you marry someone older than yourself, the union will age you. It would, however, add years to the older one.

• flipper
    flipper

SCOTT- The article didn't really give any legitimate reasons in my opinion for the basis for this theory. Me and my wife are very happy and healthy and she is four and a half years older than me ! Well, I guess at least she'll die with a smile on her face, eh ? LOL ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• ziddina
    ziddina

Heck, marriage shortens a woman's life, period...

My theory is that it's a combination of sleep-deprivation due to snoring [men are more prone to snore than women...] and domestic violence...

There was a significant study performed on marriage and life expectancies in the '70's... Discovered that married men live longer than single men, but married women have a SHORTER life span than single women!!

The results surprised many social scientists, so they re-ran the study in the - ah, I think it was the '90's... And had basically the SAME results, again!!

(I think they re-did the study, in part, due to the long-standing mythology within Western culture that the female is out to "trap" the male, because SHE 'benefits' more from the marriage than the male does...)

In fact, the only way in which females benefit from marriage is that their standard of living is generally better due to the increased earning power of the males over the females in our (still prejudiced and skewed) Western-mentality job market...

But, having been married twice...

I wish I'd stayed single, and gone to college, developed a good career and built up a decent income... I'll take a longer life over more "stuff", anyday...

My husband snores like a damned rock crusher, and I've been sleep-deprived for at least nine years... smiley sleep

Zid

• White Dove
    White Dove

The theory goes that over the years you begin to take on the age of the other person. Young people begin to act like old people and old people act young. Your body's age either speeds up or slows down.

That's just one theory that was mentioned in psychology.

• flipper
    flipper

Mrs. Flipper and I are both in our early 50's - but we act 25 - 30. So White Dove- Does that mean we will take on each others age and grow younger ? LOL ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• freeflyingfaerie
    freeflyingfaerie

Zid, you crack me up every time! You can take this the wrong way if you want to...I love you!!! Ha !!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit