LOST SEASON FINALE

by Terry 62 Replies latest jw friends

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

any good?

• awildflower
    awildflower

Ok, I've never watched Loss so I'm "lost" about the whole thing. But I knew plenty of jw's who were into the series. If the fact is these were "dead people" all along (I'm getting a hint of that on this thread) you think their going to freak out that they've been watching something so "spiritistic"? And then start to have a series of talks based on how you can't watch or trust ANYTHING now? I know some elders who watched this and I can only imagine what they are thinking now! How funny.

• Mary
    Mary

I want some input on what happened last night! My take on it was that Jack had died, but all the other major players were there with him in the church as his father opened the doors to where a very bright light shone.

Sooo, does this mean that they had all died in the orignal plane crash and were just realizing it? Or, like Jack's father said to him "there is no 'now', and it simply represented that all of them would die at one time or another.

• leavingwt
  • leavingwt
    leavingwt

The question of when the beta-verse occurred has finally been answered, and while it was 2004, it wasn't at the same time. The beta-verse was an equivalent to the Purgatory many religions believe in. As I indicated, it was a place where everyone seemed to be doing better; they'd achieved their root desires and passions, but it was by no means perfection. As such, it could not be Heaven. If this is to be equated to that belief system, then it was appropriately Christian Shephard who opened the doors to Heaven, awaiting all of them who'd come together.

The characters we'd come to know and love needed one another, and that's what the Island gave them. They needed to find one another in the beta-verse as well, to emotionally resolve their experiences on the Island. For most of them, that trigger was love. For Benjamin Linus it was brutality and violence, which is why he did not go into the church (notably of many faiths). He did not feel he was yet ready to transcend, or move on, to the next plane.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2010/05/24/lost-the-end-recap-series-finale/

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

More. . .

Visually, It was appropriate that Jack made his way back to the exact place he awoke on the Island, passing one of the tennis shoes his father was wearing in the casket, and even had Vincent by his side when we had our closing shot of his eye closing, rather than opening. While there are a lot of unanswered questions, we are supposedly promised additional scenes (about 20 minutes of them) on the DVD set that will answer yet more of them, as well as other answers given by the creators.
    That ought to give them some extra time to come up with them. STRAY THOUGHTS & QUESTIONS
    --Juliet said "it worked" about the bomb, but it doesn't appear that it did. They all died at different times to go to the beta-verse, so what worked? --So they introduced a brand new concept at the beginning of the sixth season, and that's what they explained in the finale. What about the first five seasons of questions? --My theory on the people in the church was they were the people who were ready to move on. Some people weren't there, which means they either weren't ready or didn't need this step in their afterlife progression at all, like perhaps Walt and Faraday. --Perhaps the other people around them in the beta-verse weren't even those people. It's more like Aaron was a construct of the beta-verse to serve a purpose, but the real Aaron's "soul" wasn't in that body as he, like Walt, maybe didn't need this time in Purgatory. The same would apply to most of the other peripheral characters. --What? No Nikki and Paulo? Oh yeah, straight to Hell for those two. --Why did they have to go back to the Island in the first place? Because Hurley and Jack were off the Island? Nobody else left was good enough? Sawyer was there, and he was a candidate. --It was a new "Oceanic Six" that left the Island, including Frank Lapidus, who flew them out the first time. This time around it was him, Miles, Richard, Sawyer, Kate and Claire. Only Kate and Frank got to escape the Island twice.

• sir82
    sir82

My biggest disappointment was that they didn't bring back Mr. Eko.

He was of major importance in seasons - what? 2 & 3? ...but even though virtually everyone got at least a cameo in the last few episodes (even Ana Lucia!), he just didn't show up at all.

My last hope was that he would be some sort of spiritual guide in the last scene in the church - but nope.

My best guess is that the real-life actor either refused to come back to the show, or was too ill to perform or something like that.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

sir82, the actor who portrayed Mr. Eko had an offer to come back and he turned it down - more than once from what I understood...which actually ended up working out better in the end, in my opinion. I seem to remember that when Eko died on the show, there was a memory or vision of him with his brother walking off together. So in keeping with the theme of the finale, each one ended up with those loved ones who impacted their lives the most.

• Terry
    Terry

What happened on the island was real.

The people and the mysterious "happenings" were real.

The island is a singularity in space/time life/death good/evil.

The bomb Juliet exploded did NOT REALLY explode. (More about that in a minute.)

What happened after the bombshaft incident on the island was actually happening (on the island; not the sideways world).

Those who got off the island got off. Those who didn't did not.

Here is where people go wrong...

The sideways world (alternate existence in imaginary time) is a limbo transitional state of BETWEEN two worlds: this one and the next.)

As each person died their natural death in real life their soul (or consciousness) entered the spiritual limbo AS THOUGH they had never crashed.

Why?

The dead simply cannot handle the transition without help.**

The intertwining of their "limbo" lives (they didn't seem to know each other) is that confused state (after death).

An emissary (Desmond) has to jolt them into awareness of just what their life meant and who their best friends and soul mates really were.

Why? So they can evaluate what the meaning of their life was and "let go" to move on to the NEXT stage of afterlife.

Jack never made it off the island. He died in the cane break.

He never had a son.

The imaginary time world was just a pious fiction (for all of them) to gradually allow them the experience of transition.

Each (through Desmond's assistance) comes to reckon with the best/worst of their life through meeting the soul mate and best friend from the Island.

Once ALL OF THEM had come to acceptance (and inward peace) the final chapel scene could take place.

Jack (at the point of his own death in the cane break) realized he had made it possible for the escape and that his life had touched so many others in a positive way. He was no longer LOST.

The chapel fills with light and the next stage of spiritual existence begins.

Those who cannot accept and move on (Ben, Michael, etc.) must linger awhile....some, to haunt the island as confused "whisperers" in a sort of Hellish non-existence.

**The plane crash becomes a metaphor, at that point, for their own death. They can't understand or cope with it.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> If the fact is these were "dead people" all along

No, they were not dead all along... They were alive and the few on the plane at the end did, in fact, get off the island and lived the rest of their lives. Its just that over time they all died, like everyone eventually does.

Because of their experience on the island and the close bonds they formed, they created their own alternate reality in the afterlife to find and be with each other again.

This is what the "flash sideways" was all along in season 6.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit