Was it EX JW literature / WT's or the BIBLE which woke you up? Post scriptures if any....

by EndofMysteries 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• biometrics
    biometrics

It was scripture, and Jehovah's Witnesses inability to answer questions. Here's a few that got me started:

1 Peter 3:18-20

18 For Christ also suffered once for sins, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God. He was put to death in the body but made alive in the Spirit. 19 After being made alive,[a] he went and made proclamation to the imprisoned spirits- 20 to those who were disobedient long agowhen God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,

1 Peter 4:5-6

5 But they will have to give account to him who is ready to judge the living and the dead. 6 For this is the reason the gospel was preached even to those who are now dead, so that they might be judged according to human standards in regard to the body, but live according to God in regard to the spirit.

Luke 16:19-31

22 "The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I've enjoyed reading all of these, bumping for those who haven't put in their story.

• d
    d

For me it was the hyprocrisy of the Jw's

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

Apostate material is usually silly ... and wrong. The governing body puts itself in Jesus' place. Elders are untrained, speaking their own opinions in place of God's word. The love that is supposed to exist between brothers is hard to find among elders. Circuit and District Overseers are often self-serving and full of pride. IF Witnesses represent God's truth even on a small scale, the organization is corrupt. Eli is sitting in the temple of God, and his sons are abusing the congregation.

I liked being a Witness in the late 1940s and through the 1970s, even through the 1975 crap. I started disliking some practices about 1970. Among these was a Watchtower Society grab at congregation money about 1980. Now that's a story and a half. I'd love to tell it, but I was so involved that my story would identify me. I stayed on as an elder through issues that would curle your hair (assuming it's straight). One of these involved a child molestation case where the District Overseer told us not to procede against the mother who facilitated the abuse. I finally threw up my hands and resigned as an elder citing health reasons and age.

My family are all witnesses. I keep my issues to myself.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

It was a cumulative process, things just kept adding up, but I suppressed or submerged my "disloyal" thoughts for a long time.

The elders overstepping their authority. The generation thing. The blood fractions-thing. All the pressure to place literature, felt more and more like a sales organization <--- (never actually noticed this until our family joined a multi-level marketing company and went to some of their meetings! Wow! The similarities!!)

But what really made me see that the GB didn't really know what they were doing or have a clue was the publication, MY BOOK OF BIBLE STORIES. I was going to give this book to my little grandchildren when I suddenly saw it through their little eyes. What a horror-show!!! Don't know why I didn't see that when my own children were little. :(

After that, I ordered CoC and the whole thing toppled and crumbled and fell apart with a huge crash.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

What was the proverbial straw that knackered the poor old camel was reading the Book of Daniel one day, and it suddenly struck me that the whole 1914 thing simply was not there ! it was totally made up !

Looking back I had been reversing out for years, too many things were obvious crap, the trumpet blasts of Revelation etc being fulfilled by a bunch of no-hopers under Ratherfraud, and lots of other stuff.

For a few years before the 1914 epiphany I had been getting pissed off with the ever shriller shouts to worship the G.B, if those shouts peed me off then, those still in must be deaf.

But once 1914 unravels, the whole house of cards that is JW/WT belief and teaching collapses in a heap of worthless garbage.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

For me it was a nagging feeling that something was wrong for years. Then I started to pay more attention to that feeling as I noticed double-talk and double standards like never before. Then came the just plain wrong feeling at CA's and DC's, emotional hype and faulty reasoning. The Events that really started my search were 1) Being passed up for MS again because of double standards and man-made rules ( this was going on for years ). 2) Seeing the effect these standards had on poor brothers doing their best to " reach out " but NEVER making the cut while 19yr old kids related to Elders were being appointed all over the circuit. In the mean time the rest of us are parking cars and cleaning bathrooms ect.. ( I helped because I wanted to help others). 3) The nail in the coffin was the jacked up article that was all about the mosaic law/temple/courtyard and WORSHIP vs SACRED SERVICE article. The combination and cumulative effect from these events woke me up. From there it was researching the old publications.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

This is a great thread. As a born-in who took 30 years to wake up, my story is of the "straw that broke the camel's back" type. Various little things about the WT teachings nagged at me, mainly the allowance of blood fractions as a conscience matter and the seemingly figurative nature of 144,000 in the Bible. Assorted dissonances such as seeing people look forward to the death of billions at Armageddon began to add up, silently. There are too many tiny things to count... yet I still was a true believer. After all, surely Witnesses were closest to the truth, at the very least! I have always been a very black-and-white thinker, and a cautious, studious sort of person; appeals to the heart meant little to me, but I enjoyed all the little details of the Witness beliefs -- the comfort and certainty that they gave me -- so I stayed "all in" mentally.

It wasn't until I was an adult that I began to really notice the intellectual glass ceiling. Other Witnesses, who I knew were intelligent, were quite open about how they avoided any information, apostate or not, that could weaken their faith. This seemed very strange to me; why should those who possess truth be afraid of anything? Surely no information could be a threat to them? Although I did not read apostate writings for years to come, I resolved that I was not going to avoid learning any science or reading any atheist writings just because it might conflict with my existing beliefs. I wanted to be confident that I had the truth. As I approached my thirties, I spent many hours defending the truth against imagined objections (essentially playing the dual roles of a cynical householder and a sincere Witness in my head). After years of hearing these bickering "voices", I started to wonder, "Could it be that the cynical voice in my head is not an imagined householder that I feel a need to be able to refute, but in fact my own subconscious trying to tell me something?"

In addition, the older I got, the more I could see the psychological aspects of what made Witnesses act the way they did (superstition being a big part of the explanation). I began to feel distanced from their mindset. But all of this was so gradual that I still believed that I believed it was the truth. I had a worldview that seemed more stable and secure than a worldly one, and I was afraid to question it and cause it to collapse like the house built upon sand. You see, I myself was also superstitious in one specific way. A family member had supposedly experienced a demonic attack, and that was enough to scare me. Even though I was no longer "all in", I felt that if I stayed in physically, and did a minimal amount of field service and other activity, then I could have a least a little of the holy spirit to protect me from demons. Disassociating myself would leave me open to the demons. But over time, not hearing any more credible stories of demonic activity, I began to grow skeptical that this really happened at all.

Finally, I read a word one day that I didn't understand, and looking up the definition to that word caused me to experience an almost electric shock: Jesusist. It had never occurred to me that it was possible to believe in Jesus' teachings and not belong to organized religion. For the first time I could imagine leaving the organization. I had always been afraid that leaving would somehow force me to throw all my beliefs away and live a life of debauchery (so the Watchtower warned), but this was a new concept: I could still be a good person, at least as far as my own willpower allowed me, even without being a Witness! I used to think that I couldn't be a Christian without God's help. As a teenager, I had tearfully pleaded in prayer for God to help me with his holy spirit many times. Now that I was older, I had started to wonder why I never clearly felt his helping hand back then. I began to suspect that I had been on my own all along, and I would do just as well at being a Christian without an organization as with one.

As I left behind the fears and superstitions of my youth, I finally decided that there was no reason not to read apostate material. At this point, JWFacts.com was very helpful for me. It used the Bible and common sense to argue against some of the same teachings I'd already felt were dubious, which really put my mind at ease. I also learned about some flip-flops in teachings which were surprising -- especially the stance on organ transplants. I finally felt confident that the Witnesses could not be God's approved organization if they made these kind of mistakes. I am very thankful to Paul Grundy for taking the time to make the site which helped me get peace of mind. Now I really feel free for the first time -- free from fear and unnecessary guilt, free from obligations of man.

Sorry for the long boring story, but since things just came to a head in this last year, the details are still vivid in my mind. Might as well write it all down for the sake of aiding my memory, and for anyone reading this who can relate to my experiences!

• featherimiss
    featherimiss

I woke up after my sister was disfellowshipped. She had been disfellowshipped for sexual issues...that definitely screamed that she was dealing with something serious.

She was going to the meetings, trying to get reinstated. My son was 3 years old and when he saw her at the KH, he ran up to her and said TT where have you been, I want you to come back to my house. (before being df she would visit almost daily). Well my sister with tears in her eyes, told my son that she could not talk to him. He started crying why....so when I looked into his face and was about to explain why, I started crying.

I immediately told my sister to let get out of her right now. So we went and discussed what she was going through. We located a therapist and during helping her with her sessions, I realized that I really was depressed and needed therapy as well.

Long story short...from this situation I have 3 siblings and all three of us are disfellowshiped, disassocated or faded. Two and myself now identify ourselves as Christian and one agnostic. And we are very happy. Our parents are still JW (father Elder) and many other relatives still devoted JW .

And it's so funny....we all could care less about what the JW believe. We still have contact with our parents and just avoid any discussions of religion. We are very blessed, to have parents that love us more than the religion.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My gut always hated the religion. I was born-in. The meetings were agony. For some reason I still don't understand, I took a college course on New Testament as historical subject. I had to read the Bible in consecutive verses and in only a few sittings. So much of what I assumed was true, I found out to be false. It shattered any legitimacy the Witnesses had of knowing the Bible. It was shocking to me. I can't recall details but I could not wait to tell my family.

I kept calling home and said, "Do you know the Witnesses say........" well I am reading x, and it says, "......................................"

There were instances of what I found to be intentional misrepresentation. I am so grateful that I was forced to read the Bible as a book.

Also, college in general, taught me to ask hard questions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit