Was it EX JW literature / WT's or the BIBLE which woke you up? Post scriptures if any....

by EndofMysteries 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I know this won't be popular here but Robert King's book "Jehovah Himself Has Become King" woke me up to the fact that the Borg is the Borg. After that, the research was ON and it hasn't really stopped yet.

BTW, I do not believe e-watchman's doctrine about the WTS. What was useful about it then is that it used the Bible to show that the WTS is wrong about many things. What is useful about it to me now is that it shows me that the Bible can be used to show pretty much ANYTHING anyone wants it to.

• upnorth
    upnorth

The Bible states “can not predict the end” it also says “any that add or take away from this”.

I'm a born-in, I sat those two statements next to each other when I was 14 and left home and the Borg 3 years later.

It was The New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures that got me out of the Borg.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

None of the above. It was my own mind and heart, and my growing trust of same.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

upnorth - to the "any that add or take away from this", what many fail to realize, it it says from 'this scroll'. Its talking about the book of Revelation, not the cannonized few hundred years later bible. Makes me wonder if any 'inspired' books since then.

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

For me, it started out with some of the things being said from the podium. Like, "If you disagree with the Elders/Society, maybe you should try being more humble," and other things. That sort of attitude really threw me as it wasn't consistent with what I had THOUGHT the Society was. Bear in mind that I was also one who had a lot of difficulty with the Elders in our congregation (I was a teenager who's parents weren't in the Society) so I started blaming the individual Elders giving the talks for statements like these. To me, the hubris was getting tough to swallow and it bothered me a lot. Then I started reading some of these same comments in the magazines. I began to have real doubts.

Funny thing about this was that I kept trying to find the absolute, total devotion that I once had. But couldn't find it again. I'd begun to see that the Society was flawed.

Anyway, I finally just cracked. I was totally miserable and confused and had been so for a while. I was far more miserable as a JW than I'd ever been. So I decided to distance myself from the KH until I could sort things out. Within 2 weeks, the congregation started harrassing me and leaving 30 to 50 messages on my answering machine a day. They'd find me at the grocery store and give me MORE attitude and hubris. They'd confront me even in public places. So I got tired of it and began really looking into things and trying to decide if it was the Society or me. I felt too close to the subject at this point, but their badgering made me realize that I needed to figure things out at eventually--even after the worst of it had subsided after the first couple of years.

Later, I returned to the subject when my in-laws decided to start pressuring me about it again. Now, I had more distance than before and could really sort things out. The first thing I needed to know was should I still consider the Society as my "True Religion." I started trying to figure out questions like: "Is the Society sincere and honest? Do they have their facts straight? Is it me, or is it them?" You can guess which way my conclusions went.

My experiences caused me to reevaluate everything, including religion/gods in general. I didn't want to limit myself to Christianity per se. I began to see that they all have claims to "The Truth," but none of them necessarily has it. I began to see that the arguments made by atheists were more covnincing to me. Eventually, I began to see myself as an agnostic atheist or secular atheist. By this point, the Society had long been written off my list of possibilities.

IsaacJ

• tec
    tec

I never joined, but I was going to after a two year bible study. What changed my mind was WT literature and my conscience and then finally the internet. I had begun looking forward to Armageddon - you know, a terrible yet short time in which everyone will awaken and receive a second chance. Then I reread the revelation book, and discovered that no one who died in revelation would get that second chance.

I had been looking forward to that?

Who in their right mind can do that and actually feel any love of neighbor/enemy?

I stopped then and there. True or not, I couldn't get behind the teaching or the eagerness for it to come. Then I started searching the internet, found out all the failed prophecies and dates, as well as sites like jwfacts, and I realized it wasn't the 'Truth' after all.

Tammy

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

The lack of true brotherly love almost took me out several times over the years. But the tug of 'it is the Truth' kept me chained.

I was beginning to see thru some things on my own, and based on a little bit of careful [avoiding apostate websites like this LOL] research, when out of the blue I was drawn to an add for CoC somewhere among life stories of Jehovah's Witnesses [whom had mostly left]. My wife had enough of looking over my shoulder as I muttered 'someday I am going to order that book and see what the big apostate has to say'. I nearly trembled in fear of actually ever doing it. Finally one day as the scene was playing again, my dear wife said "You don't have to. I have ordered them. I don't care if you read them or not, but I am going to do so. They will be here this week."

We never sat foot inside the Kingdom Hall again.

Jeff

• garyneal
    garyneal

Like Tammy, I never joined but found myself in a serious crossroads in my life when somehow I was convinced that maybe these people really do have the truth after all. They really did their research and was able to point out a lot of things. My wife lent me her copy of Reasoning with the Scriptures to help me understand some of it. Deep down inside, something was telling me this was wrong.

I did a straight reading of the Bible and the first thing that popped out was the 144,000. It did not make sense. Praying and asking God if He is a Trinity or not revealed John 20:28 and the verses in Revelations declaring Jesus as the Alpha and the Omega.

The real eye openers were http://www.gotquestions.org/, http://www.4jehovah.org/, and http://www.freeminds.org. There were others as well. Professor Bergman's testamonial opened my eyes as both my wife and her sister were on and off medication from time to time. Not once did I make a connection between it and the religion until I read his testamony. Then it made me realize why I too was getting depressed when I went to meetings, it reminded me of that little ole fundamentalist church that had all those legalistic rules.

Needless to say, I never went in, thank the Lord.

• Terry
    Terry

I remember once when I was an employment counselor for an employment agency going to classes to learn various skils which would

benefit my position. The class instructor pointed something out about people in general which has stayed with me over the years.

He said, in effect, 'People use their natural skills to disadvantage instead of developing other skills.'

Somebody raised their hand and asked him to clarify.

"A person good in math tries to solve every problem as though it were a number problem.

A physically gifted person tries to make it a strength issue. A good organizer will try to organize a problem to death.

A people person will use charm and persuasion to solve problems. Consequently, they miss solving their problems easily by applying

the wrong tools or approach. Different problems require different solutions. One-size-fits-all is a non-starter and creates endless

blind alleys and unintended consequences. We have to develop the skills WE DON'T naturally possess. We have to create NEW TOOLS for our job.'

I mention that to say this.

Jehovah's Witnesses are people who develop three important talents which make them great JW's:

1.Listen and follow directions without asking too many questions

2.Apply one solution: The Bible says to every problem

3.Staying busy and avoiding too much down time

These three important talents make them great JW's and it also cripples them to be anything worthwhile once they are NO LONGER JW'S.

Why?

1.They pick somebody or something ELSE to listen to and start following their directions without asking too many questions.

2.The still think the Bible is the solution to every problem.

3.They get busy being a new ___fill in the blank___and avoid too much down time.

INSTEAD OF DEVELOPING AND ENTIRELY NEW APPROACH TO LIFE!

Ex-JW's don't take the necessary time to develop as an INDIVIDUAL who thinks for themselves.

They don't root out all their false concepts and take the time to RE-DEFINE them with non-spiritual (i.e. rational) defintions.

They don't investigate the fact the bible as it exists today is based on nothing more than non-original alterations of errors of opinion in turn based on no original manuscripts (they don't exist anymore).

Ex-JW's waste the next ten to twenty years by keeping on-keeping on just as they did before.

They either turn into Lone Ranger christians (creating novel interpretations), mainstream christians (joining a church), rabid atheists (decrying God),

intellectual agnostics (vamping every other explanation) or become pure hedonists.

Why not just become a "person"? Why polarize? Why be a Gung Ho something or other?

Why not just relax and drop the whole "what does the bible mean when it says...blah blah blah?"

Who cares?

Relax, take it easy, read some good books, re-educate yourself and take a vacation.

Come back refreshed and start anew.

Avoid gurus, religionists, shaman, enlightened preachers, charismatic leaders and know-it-all authors.

Don't waste time arguing issues that don't amount to a hill of beans such as EVOLUTION.

It won't change one single thing in your life if you "believe" or don't believe. Life goes on and will pass you by if you waste your

precious time on silliness.

That is my two cents.

Your mileage may vary.

• Crisis of Conscience
    Crisis of Conscience

I'm still in and "active." I could mention a variety, but amongst the things that woke me up, one that stands out is the ministry along with the magazines.

I pioneered for a few years and I really began to think about the message I was giving to people, mainly how religion is responsible for so many attrocities and divisions. And that got the ball rolling and made me realize that even in being a JW you aren't immune to this. Especially when it comes to dividing families because of shunning, which I now take personal but supported in the past.

Then an article in one of the magazines dealt with the subject of questioning the religion of ones birth or family. It offered so much openness to all other religions. But it made me wonder why I felt so oppressed in questioning anything within mine. Why the secrecy?

Needless to say the brick wall in front of me came down. I now question everything, although mostly silent. I feel my days are numbered.

And I HATE, I HATE, I HATE!......... religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit