Was it EX JW literature / WT's or the BIBLE which woke you up? Post scriptures if any....

by EndofMysteries 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I considered myself immune to ex jw stuff. No amount of old watchtowers or anything would change me. It was seeing treatment of others by elders and the BIBLE itself, which woke me. THEN seeing things I read in the bible, and old literature and such, fit the pieces of the puzzle together. First it was seeing how prophetic scriptures, especially in Revelation, and the explanations did not match up nor make sense. THEN seeing in Isaiah/Jeremiah, etc, prophecies about Israel into the new world, and how their shepards were misleading them (being that we are taught JW's are spiritual Israel, and looked like 'spiritual Israel' then was not in God's favor).

Here are some recent ones from some I ran into....

I was invited for a dinner with a group, mostly with ones I never met. A brother there, little bit of language barrier, but somehow started mentioning how he thinks there is more understanding and knowledge which is not known, and hoping he won't be dissappointed that what we been taught is wrong. His wife said that morning when they did their bible reading, reading the whole thing, she said it appears to be something more there. We went to the scripture, it's talking about the sacred secret. Before anybody could chime in or say anything, as I was going to confirm there is more to it, the elder there jumped in and said o thats Jesus and it's a good question brother but yes it's Jesus. He obviously had no idea what he was talking about, and the brother didn't seem convinced at all. The elder who jumped in, seemed so scared of any kind of real discussion, or talking about anything.

It's a shame, can't talk about the bible, or about 95% of the scriptures the society hasn't even attempted to understand or explain. The only discussions allowed, and there after that were, 'experiences', and what they look forward to in the new world.

I mention this though, because I've seen a few already, who when doing bible reading, are starting to think there is something wrong or more to what we been told. Another recently, had read with their spouse, Revelation about the 1,000 year reign, and how they didn't see the 'other sheep' being resurrected until 'after' the thousand year reign, or those who are not of the first resurrection I should say.

Another awhile thought the end of Daniel, last chapter last verse, the differnce of days, was of note. That was what triggered my full awakening. He own his own looked in bound volumes and said there was some explanation but he didn't remember. (one of those common brush under the carpet, no idea explanations) Then went back to sleep.

If any scriptures got you to really think, post your experience on it.

• Perry
    Perry

And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Mt. 28: 18

Even as a child, I remember thinking: Which part of "All power" don't they understand?

I once asked my mom if we shouldn't be dealing with Jesus instead of Jehovah since he is the one with all the authority.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I'd say a whole bunch of little things over the years, but a WT from early last year, or late 2008( I can't recall), that Mary did a review of on here at JWN, that really made me alert. In the article, the writer posed the questioned, "Have those who've left JWs, found abundent spiritual food outside of JWs? No!! For there are none!" I'll never forget that. I remember looking around the audience during that lesson and wondering if anybody else picked up ridiculous that line was. Lately the use of exclamation marks in WT literature is driving me nuts. I mean really driving me insane. They use it sentences that are designed to make the reader feel good, but it has the opposite effect on me. Sentences like, "How exciting that must have been!" "How much more so we should show our appreciation!" I hate that.

• snowbird
    snowbird

John 5:37 Every person the Father gives me eventually comes running to me. And once that person is with me, I hold on and don't let go. MSG

It all comes down to Jesus of Nazareth and the believer.

Nothing and no one else.

Sylvia

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Paul's letter to the Galatians. Often called, 'Luther's Book', Galations pretty much deals a death blow to WT theology/dogma. It's as if WT completely missed the point of Christ's life and death.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

In Watchtower World no one is concerned about truth..

They are concerned with belonging to the Right Group..

As long as your with the Right Group..What they teach does`nt matter..

.................... ...OUTLAW

• bluecanary
    bluecanary

It was the unbridgable gap between the WTS ideals and the leader's behavior.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Endlessly being told that the End was "soon." When I realized that they were telling my children the same stuff about higher education they'd been telling me fifteen years earlier I started looking.

• Alwayshere
    Alwayshere

NONE OF THE ABOVE. MY SON WOKE ME UP.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

None of the above, although they helped fill in the detail later.....It was common sense and reasoning .

I realised that "the world" had some decent people and there could be no way that God would kill them for not being with the WTS. And time was getting on and on and on.....Nothing had happened

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit