The Debate: Do JW's Need Respect?

by Mindchild 85 Replies latest jw friends

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Thanks Clash. Noted. Filed. Locked Away.

TimB

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

I just wanted to say what a great thread this is... so much fun watching it happen even a blabber-mouth like me shut up...

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Tim said:

God Bless The WTS!

RONTFLMAO! Hahahahaha

Tim...that was great man! I thought you did a hell of a job as the defense defending something indefensible.

For my closing arguments, I was going to recap some of the things wrote in this thread, and some of the outstanding points made by many contributors. I think though this would simply be redundant and I just encourage the reader to give each point due consideration.

I would however like to end my arguments with a quote of someone who was rather notorious in his own day, some hundreds of years ago in fact, but the words really still hold true for anyone who has left the Watchtower Society:

My manner of thinking, so you say, cannot be approved. Do you suppose I care? A poor fool indeed is he who adopts a manner of thinking for others! My manner of thinking comes straight from my considered reflections, it holds with my existence, with the way I am made. It is not in my power to alter it, and were it, I’d not do so. Not my manner of thinking but the manner of thinking of others have been the source of my unhappiness. The reasoning man, who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons, he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.—the Marquis De Sade, in a letter to his wife.

Finally, thank you again Tim for taking up the challenge. Thank you Venice for your most excellent role in the proceedings. I wish to thank Scully for her excellent contributions and assistance and all the others who helped me. Not to forget all the other great people posting on here and the appreciation of the crowds.

Kind Regards,

Skipper

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Closing Arguements for the Defense

Let me just say straight out that I love this forum for giving us the opportunity to discuss both sides of this or any issue.

I know that the WTS has made some mistakes in the past. They are still making mistakes. They ARE correcting these mistakes without seeming wishy washy and disturbing the faith of the 6 million active members that need the hope that this religion gives them. This takes time. Meanwhile there are many, many organizations out there who do make mistakes but still retain the respect of the general public. Of course everyone who quits a job or especially if they get fired, will say that they are so glad to be gone and that was the worst company they ever worked for. Since so many that leave the JW's have lost family and friends because they no longer have common interests, we can expect the same "sour grapes" attitude and lack of respect. If we want to find out if we are being objective in our attitude toward the WTS then we should look at other religions and organizations that may have corruption in them and ask, "How do I feel about these organizations?".

I would like to thank the Court and the citizens of the internet community for the civility shown during these precedings.

The Defense Rests

I would like to open the discussion to the JURY at this point for disscussion and a verdict. I trust that the JURY will be fair and objective. Everyone who has read this thread will be qualified to be a JUROR and we welcome your comments and even critique.

Again I would like to point out that THE VIEW EXPRESSED BY THE DEFENSE DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE PERSONAL VIEWS OF THE DEFENSE COUNCIL. :)

TimB

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Hey Mindchild,

Who do you think won this case?? I hope it wasn't me. LOL I have to admit that defending the WTS, at times, literally made my skin crawl. This was a great idea. I hope we can now get the views of many others with tremendous insite on this debate.

For all of us participating in Flame Wars.......THIS is how to have a debate.

TimB

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Tim

I think we all won! The purpose of what we did here was to make a fair presentation of both sides of the issue. Not only did we do that, but we also showed it waspossible to have completely different ways of looking at things without the flame wars. That in itself was a small victory as well.

Finally, it was fun and I'm glad you were up to the challenge. I just hope next time we get into something on here that we are on the same side!

Kind Regards,

Skipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit