The Debate: Do JW's Need Respect?

by Mindchild 85 Replies latest jw friends

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

ummm thank you teejay for your comments I take it you'll be a witness for the prosecutor.

Please proceed

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Responding to Judge Ven's question:

one comment though why did you add that last paragraph to your comments. It seems to contridict your postition. It would have been a better Idea to sell that to the defendent for his concluding comments. Please proceed and stick to your stand no matter how 'kool' an oposing line of arguement may sound at the time.
    Your point is appreciated your Honor but the court should be reminded that the Prosecution can be quite devious at times and just between you and me...this is sucker bait.

Skipper

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Thank you for your clarification, next time I ask that you please ask to apporach the bench!

HJV

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Peanuts!Popcorn!Chewing gum!Get your red hot JW memorabelia right here!..Peanuts!Popcorn!.......LOL...OUTLAW

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

Tyydyy's opening statement:

It is the stand of the defense that although the Witnesses (hereafter referred to as WTS) have some doctrines that we see as damaging to the rank and file and their families, we cannot arbitrarily dismiss the positive affects this religion has had on our society and the individual lives of some who chose to exercise their constitutional rights and follow this lifestyle. It is easy to point out many examples of wrongdoing by members when you have 6 million but should the doctrines and practices of the WTS cause us to withhold all respect for them? It is our contention that there is still sufficient evidence to suggest that they do deserve respect at least equal to the other religions that our constitution protects. Our personal beliefs tend to reduce our tollerance of others beliefs and values.

While I cannot defend the accuracy of the WTS doctrines. I will attempt to defend their right to exist and continue to teach their doctrines while coexisting with respect in our society. (whew....this is going to be tough)

I will attempt to show that the WTS gives the same respect that any religion gives to others. In fact they are much more tollerant of other lifestyles while not approving of them.

I will attempt to show that the WTS has some postive influences on our society that deserve our acknowledgement and earns them some respect.

TimB

• larc
    larc

Mindset,

The articles you cited aren't worth the paper they were printed on. It is all sloppy work and very inconclusive.

Fact: Schizophrenia is a geneticly inherited brain desease that has the same incidence across different cultures, subcultures and religions. A particular religion will not percipitate a schizophrenic episode.

Fact: The National Institute of Mental Health estimates that 25% of the population has a mental problem, some time in their life. Bergman estimated that the rate of mental illness among witnesses is 5 times higher than the population. This would amount to 125%, a statistical impossibility.

Question: What is Havour Montague's real name? Why didn't he use his real name, and why does the person when he uses his real name cite himself and not explain that he doing so????

Let us suppose that you are a mentally upset JW who is not a paranoind schizophrenic who goes for a psychiatric interview. During the interview, the you tell the psychiatrist that Jesus began to rule in 1914 but his rulership invisible. Jesus threw Satan and the demons to the earth that year. What do you think the psychiatrist's diagnosis might be for this deprsessed, but otherwise normal Witness?

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

ok I take it that Larc is a witness for the defense. You have made some interesting points that will be considered.

I would like to make a side note that in my sisters congregation roughly 80% of the sisters where on prozac. I don't think anyone would disagree that there is a large amount of depression among JW's especailly female.

HJV

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

The prosecution has shown some evidence of a disproportionate percentage of WTS members with psychological problems. The defense will not dispute that assertion. But does the presence of mental illness prove that the WTS was the cause of this illness or does it show that the WTS attracts people who (as we pointed out earlier) have these problems already?

The present study of 50 Jehovah's Witnesses admitted to the Mental Health Service facilities of Western Australia suggests that members of this section of the community are more likely to be admitted to a psychiatric hospital than the general population

I propose that the sampling of this study was not large enough to give an accurate result. (Please see the additional comments from Larc)

The doctrines of the WTS can cause stress and subsequently mental illness. No doubt about it. The lifestyle that they promote is vastly different from the general society that we live in. Does this make them evil. Not in itself. Our everyday careers cause much stress and mental illness. Our relationships can cause mental illness. (just ask anyone who is married. They'll tell you that their mate is crazy without admitting that they made them that way.)

TimB

TimB

• clash_city_rockers
    clash_city_rockers

The question is by what standard are we and how we are to be respectful. 1 Peter 3:16 tells us to do our apoligetics with respect and meekness but 2 Cor 10:4,5 gives us a commission to be dillagent in our polemics to intellectually distroy any argument against the Lordship of Christ.

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

On the subject of mental illness within the WTS. The WTS has done much to educate the public and the rank and file members of the symptoms and treatments of mental illness. This might cause a increase in recognition and subsequent treatment of the illnesses resulting in a larger percentage of WTS members recieving treatment in the form of office visits and medication.

TimB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit