"Music that debases, " LOL

by LDH 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Gozz
    Gozz

Anyone knows anything about backmasking?

*** w83 10/15 11-15 Beware of Music That Debases! ***
    8 There have also been recordings of unscriptural and even demonistic messages by means of a technique called backward masking, used by a number of musical groups. When the recording of one very popular song is played backward, it repeatedly says, “Decide to smoke marijuana.” If played backward, another popular recording carries this message: “I will sing because I live with Satan. . . . There’s no escaping it, my sweet Satan.”
    9 Normally, of course, people do not play recordings in reverse. Yet, when listening to certain musical records, either unscriptural or demonic ideas may be absorbed by a mind left open to improper suggestion.
  • jolly_green_giant
    jolly_green_giant

Judas Priest got charged with this back in the 80's i beleive.

Also, in the course to the song "Another one bites the dust" by Queen, it was apparently saying "its fun to smoke marijuana" while played backwards on a turntable

• Francois
    Francois

Logical - In this case, that would be the elders removing the lumber yard from thier own eye, prior to removing the speck from the eyes ofupstanding, intelligent, fair, truth-loving folk like us.

One elder in my hall, C.B. Mitchell in fact, really, really loved that song from "Jesus Christ, Superstar, the one that went "I don't know how to love him..." you know the one. Anyway, he didn't have a clue about where it came from. He'd hum it out in service. He'd turn the radio up when it came on. He loved it. And of course he was super-elder from hell, you also know what I mean. Anyway, I let all this go on and on and when he was so totally immersed in that song that he couldn't deny it, I waited 'till he was giving someone hell about their musical taste and I unloaded on him about his "Jesus" song. Boy, that was the only time I saw him shut up. It was wonderful.

Francois

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Who would even think of playing it backwards for one thing??? if you don't play it backwards and listen to it the right way woudlnt' the message from Queen be 'its not fun to smoke marijuana"???

you know what you get when you play a country song backwards???

You get your car back, you get your girl back, you get your dog back, you get your truck back.....

HAHAHA sorry couldnt' resist!

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• logical
    logical

That backmasking isnt as deliberate as it may sound. Try reversing lots of vocal sounds and a lot of them will seem to resemble something. Obviously some of it is deliberate, but some is innocent.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

I remember when I was about thirteen, my mom took all my Beatles, Doors, and Steppenwolf records into the back yard to burn in her "demon-cleansing" little bonfire! (I don't know why, but it seemed like before 1975, they were really into 'burning' things!)

My favorite song was "Touch Me", by the Doors. She said it was too "sexual". (DUH!)She also said the Beatles used that backwards thing too.

We got into a huge argument, because she absolutely loved Tom Jones and Elvis. I pointed out to her that most of Tom Jones' songs were about sex. Not to mention how the women on his TV show would throw their panties on stage!!
    She swore it wasn't true! So, I got her album and showed her the words. She was so angry because I was right. She took a steak knife and scratched off only the songs with sexual overtones. (Which was almost the whole damn thing!) The entire time giving me the most evil look she could! HAHA
    I hate their double standard!!!

I also remember after Michael Jackson got "put out", everytime one of his songs would play on the radio, she'd get all upset and make a dramatic display of switching channels. Yet, years later, so many times I'd hear her humming one of his songs being played by Muzak in an elevator or restaurant!! I'd just chuckle to myself and say, "What a lovely song, mom!"

April
    "Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Well, this dates me, but in my KH it was bad news to be into the Osmond Brothers and the Partridge Family, because it was "idol worship" (you know, putting up their posters and buying 16 magazine). Talk about making even the teeny-bopper years dull, boring and glum.

Jankyn, humming "I Think I Love You" to herself

• LDH
    LDH

Funny, that reminds me.

We were not allowed to have radios in our rooms, as the 'temptation' to listen to music that debases would have been too strong! [8>]

For graduation, my sister got a small 5" portable black and white TV. (Hey--this was back in the day, that was expensive.) Some friends bought it for her.

Anyhow, for some fluke reason, the local college radio station came in on that damn thing. Of course, it was the Big 80's and every big hair hard rock band was on the air. We (sis and I) would secretly listen to this TV every night.

This led to our love of:

Robert Plant/Led Zep
    Judas Priest
    BOC
    Rush
    Tesla

as well as our love of
    Van Halen
    Aerosmith
    Europe
    Kip Winger
    Def Leppard

and any other 80's band you can think of, LOL.

Just goes to show, JW kids will live a double life like a mutha #*$&er. LOL.

Lisa
    PS Gozz, the same asshole conspiracy theorist JWs who were obsesses with 'subliminal imaging' were the ones obsessed with 'backward masking.' [8>]

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Jolly Green Giant, I remember that case. Judas Priest got sued by a family whose child had committed suicide if I recall. Rob Halford did a good job of debunking "backwards-masking" by taking various Priest recordings and playing them backwards for the court and then pointing out phrases that seemed to show up. I don't know how that case turned out, only caught parts of it on MTV.
    Mike, (spelled backwards and pronounced phonetically makes no sense)

"You can't have everything, where would you put it?" -- Steven Wright

• DIM
    DIM

I find that the racist middle aged white views of the majority in the WTS detest rap music with no basis whatsoever...the majority of rap music is socially conscious music...only a very small % is gangsta rap....

i'm sick and tired of hearing things from uptight-short-sighted-narrow minded hypocritics. all i want is the truth just gimme some truth - John Lennon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit