"Music that debases, " LOL

by LDH 35 Replies latest jw friends

• belbab
    belbab

Remember the kiddies song,

Puff the magic drag in

in a place called honna lea.... or something.

It was supposed to be a song about smokin pot.

I forgot all the words.

belbab

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Oh, yes, I remember all of the songs we weren't supposed to listen to. Back in the 60's, it was pretty much everything.

For that matter, I used to love classical music by Stravinsky, Grieg, Rachmaninoff and others. Most of those were banned also due to pagan themes. (sigh)

The only allowable, upbuilding, godlike, faith-strengthening crap...er, music....was Kingdom songs. And who in their right mind would listen to that constantly. I know I couldn't stand it much. Never did get the tapes when they came out.

• belbab
    belbab

Peter Paul and Mary

Puff, the magic dragon lived by the sea
    And frolicked in the autumn mist in a land called Honah Lee,
    Little Jackie Paper loved that rascal Puff,
    and brought him strings and sealing wax and other fancy stuff. Oh

belbab

• You Know
    You Know

Obviously, many of you have unarguably been spiritually and mentally debased. So I really don't see that you have any bases for ridiculing the warnings; the only reason being that, well, you are debased. Ironically, many popular music artists flaunt their occult connections, but apparently spiritual blindness goes with your being debased. LOL

/ You Know

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

you know...... email me! i didn't get the last one you sent.

• LDH
    LDH

You know,

Why don't you just go pop in a CD of the Kingdumb Smellodies? You know, with the material that was stolen from other artists and had some of its basis in Christendom's songs?

Or haven't you been in the Spoof long enough to remember why they dumped the old pink song book in favor of the dull, brown one?

LDH
    Never knew "Get Down on it" referred to PENISES !!!!!until I was told by Mature Christians in the congregation class [8>]

• You Know
  • SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

My wife is always looking at me strange while I'm listening to music on the radio. I'm terrible with knowing the words and she knows them and tells me they are about sex. I say "cool" and she gives me the evil eye. Ha!

Music is our poetry and is great for expressing our deepest emotions and needs. The JW's and other fundies are all living in a dream world where the mere mention of sex or a penis is considerred tantamount to to murder. Actually, you can listen to a song about murder and probably not get chastised by your Mom but if she senses anything in them there music files about sex, watch out!

Sean

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am a big Neil Diamond fan, and back in the late 70's, he had a hit called Desiree. I was singing it one day, and my husband asked me if I listened to the words, I was singing. I was embarrassed. I still liked the beat. The words are pretty bad though........well, actually, the subject.

Sean, you can use your Dad's line now: "My mother says I can do this."

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

I remember as a teen in the late 70's, or perhaps early 80's, a Watchtower or Awake magazine showing all kinds of Egyptian stuff-pyramids and the like-in an article about music. Those illustrations were meant to discourage listening to the group EARTH, WIND and FIRE.
    There was a rumor afloat that at their concerts, that when they were performing some illusions(magic), that they announced that Jehovahs Witnesses had to leave or the "magic" wouldnt work. LOLOLOLOL

Perhaps the WTS was just ashamed of their OWN past (1920's) dabblings in pyramidology.

Boozy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit