"Music that debases, " LOL

by LDH 35 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

On the way home from a function last night, an old song from the 80's came on the radio.....FLASHBACK time.

Dad: You can NOT listen to that song!

Sister: WHY NOT DAD?

Dad: Because it is like the Society says! That is music that is debasing!

Sister: What is the matter with that song, though, DAD?

Dad: It has a subliminal message, you don't understand what they are talking about! The term "Get down" doesn't apply to dancing! It applies to SEX!!!!!

The song? Kool and the Gang "Get down on it."

BWA HA HA HA During the mid 80's everything had a subliminal message and according to the WBTS it was ALL music that debased!

Another CRIMINAL song? That jam by The Clash, you know the one I mean. The elders in our hall decided that by 'clash' they were promoting ANARCHY! by 'clashing' with government. BWA HA HA HA

Did you have any songs/groups/records forbidden?

Lisa

• Angharad
    Angharad

I remember the uproar in my old hall when 'Relax' by Frankie goes to Hollywood came out. Also heaven forbid that you play anything by Village People at any Christian weddings (hushed disapproving voice - they are homosexuals you know)[8>]

• logical
    logical

My study guide was always going on at me about my music being influenced by drugs, sex etc, yet he had an Ally McBeal CD, he watched violent movies, he listened to rock.

I say fuck em and their law. (Anyone know where this comes from?)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Logical

"I say fuck em and their law."

Didn't jesus say that?

SS

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

I remeber one sister who was complaing about some new groups and that we shouldn't listen to them because they're immoral and use drugs.

YET, she loved Elvis and Ricky Nelson HELLOOO!!!!! I said ok then NAME ONE MUSCIAN that hasn't come on!!!! I debated that with her in service, she didn't like it much but that was the dubmest reasoning ever. Like it's ok for the older ones to be immoral and use drugs and not the newer ones HYPOCRITE!!!

Ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• logical
    logical

SS, As regarding the Pharisiachal laws (which is what the WT laws are(, yes he did, but he didnt use those exact words.

I was referring to a track though...

• jolly_green_giant
    jolly_green_giant

when i was around 12 yrs old i started getting into metallica, guns n roses, ozzy osbourne, kiss, ect... The society frowned upon 'heavy metal' and my mother tried to stop me from listening to these bands.

Im 22 now and still listen to them amonst other artists banned by the society. I think its a damn shame that JW kids still have to hide their music from their parents.

• logical
    logical

I dont think anyone has any business telling people what they can listen to, watch, wear etc. Isnt the idea to first remove the plank out our own eye before removing the splinter out of others?

If a persons conciense allows them to listen / watch / wear, then fair enough, we shouldnt judge them.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I can't remeber the Judges name, but he had a TV show where people would settle their claims on his show.

A Witness woman was taken to court by her neice for disposing of he music collection, while she had been living with her for a period of time. The neice won the case.

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • closer2fine
    closer2fine

I remember at a District Convention they specifically mentioned a particular song by Olivia Newton John about getting horizontal (Physical)

closer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit