The generation changed is explained in the June 15'th WT!

by life is to short 135 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• life is to short
    life is to short

It is here in writing the new generation change. On page 5 of the of the WT while talking about the annual meeting report.

"John Barr gave the third and final talk."

"John Barr made clear that the gathering wound not continue indefinitely. He referred to Matthew 24:34, which says: "This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur." He twice read the comment: "Jesus evidently meant that the lives of the anointed ones who were on hand when the sign began to be evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of the other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation." We do not know the exact length of "this generation," but it includes these two groups whose lives overlap. Even though the anointed vary in age, those in the two groups constituting the generation are contemporaries during the part of the last days. How comforting it is to know that the younger anointed contemporaries of those older anointed ones who discerned the sign when it became evident beginning in 1914 will not die off before the great tribulation starts!"

""The sons of the kingdom" eagerly await their heavenly reward, but all of us must remain faithful, shining brightly to the end. What a privilege we have to see the collecting of the "wheat" in our time."

I just cannot believe people are buying this.

LITS

• dozy
    dozy

*** g73 4/22 p. 19 The Sure Answer to the Crime Problem ***What did Jesus mean by that? Evidently this: That the generation that saw the beginning of world woes with the outbreak of global war in the year 1914 would also see the destruction of Satan’s entire earthly system of things. Some persons who were alive in 1914 would still be alive when the “great tribulation” strikes.

***w95 11/1p.31 Questions From Readers***

Yes, in the initial fulfillment, “this generation” evidently meant the same as it did at other times—the contemporaneous generation of unbelieving Jews. That “generation” would not pass away without experiencing what Jesus foretold. As Williamson commented, this proved true in the decades leading up to Jerusalem’s destruction, as an eyewitness historian, Josephus, described.

AGM 2009 Jesus evidently meant that the lives of the anointed ones who were on hand when the sign began to be evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of the other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation. So when, on the Mount of Olives, he again spoke of “this generation,” he evidently did not mean the entire race of Jews throughout history; nor did he mean his followers, even though they were “a chosen race.” (1 Peter 2:9) Neither was Jesus saying that “this generation” is a period of time. Rather, Jesus had in mind the opposing Jews back then who would experience the fulfillment of the sign he gave. Regarding the reference to “this generation” at Luke 21:32, Professor Joel B. Green notes: “In the Third Gospel, ‘this generation’ (and related phrases) has regularly signified a category of people who are resistant to the purpose of God. . . . [It refers] to people who stubbornly turn their backs on the divine purpose.” w99 5/1p.11pars.12-13“ These Things Must Take Place”

Thank goodness we have the Governing Body who can explain so clearly and consistently what Jesus "evidently" meant to say.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    I just cannot believe people are buying this.

Give it time. I haven't heard any comment from any JW yet.

My Dubbies know what they have insisted I believe in the past and they know I think that 'new light' is not from God, but is forced on their church hierachy by failure of past prophesy.

I wait with interest.

Cheers

Chris

• teel
    teel

Black Sheep: my wife is buying into this without any shadow of doubt. When I pointed the generation change to her, she thought it was perfectly logical, and a great provision from the "slave". As a sidenote she is quite intelligent, that is not the reason. The WT can say absolutely anything, and faithful JWs will still view it as coming from God.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    Black Sheep: my wife is buying into this without any shadow of doubt. When I pointed the generation change to her, she thought it was perfectly logical

Same here. When I mentioned this to 'my JW', they pre-empted me by saying they'd ALWAYS believed it (???). It's like every former belief they've ever had is just erased in a heartbeat.

• wobble
    wobble

As has been pointed out on other threads, this latest B.S is just a callous and cynical buying of more time,and therefore lifestyle, for the incumbent G.B

The new G.B of future years will have to come up with something else to keep the dollars flowing in.

Truly, no Watchtower writer or speaker got caught out by underestimating the intelligence of the JW's.

Dubs R Dumb.

Wobble

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

They not only redefined "generation" they redefined "contemporaries" too.

Dictionary.com says the noun contemporary means:

-a person belonging to the same time or period with another or others. -a person of the same age as another.

And they have the gall to call it "the truth"! They suck.
  • Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

the anointed ones who were on hand when the sign began to be evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of the other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation.

That's what they came up with? That's the best they could do? I could of smoked some weed and come up with something better than that!

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    When I mentioned this to 'my JW', they pre-empted me by saying they'd ALWAYS believed it (???)

This is the sort of BS mine try too. Their other trick is denying they taught something.

Never let them get away with it. Demand they prove it. Throw in some guilt for trying to deceive you. Act offended.

Cheers

Chris

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Half of the Witnesses wouldn't even know the generation doctrine has changed; and the other half wouldn't care. Ignorant or apathetic?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit