Are you bitter?

by rolling rock 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Exiting the JWs involves a kind of grieving process. According to Elisabeth Kübler-Ross along with grief comes a cycle of various behaviours or coping mechanisms which help a person to deal with their grief.

Denial - "oh no, it just can't be true!"
    Anger - "holy crap, it is true, how could they do this to us?"
    Bargaining - "if I can fix what's wrong without upsetting anyone, then I'll stay"
    Depression - "oh what's the use in trying, it's just me against a huge organization"
    Acceptance - "the organization isn't going to change, so I have to do something to help myself"

Yes, many of us experience anger when we learn about the reality of the organization known as Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower Society. Rightfully so. The lies and deception, the scandals, the mental and emotional abuse, all those are very good reasons to feel the way we do: ANGRY.

Anger is a part of the healing process, just as much as the initial shock and disbelief. It's also as much a part of the healing process as acceptance of what we've come to know.

The fact is, this forum is a very therapeutic venue for those of us who can share our experiences as JWs. We all know what it's like to "be there". For someone who hasn't "been there" or isn't willing to acknowledge the pain that we have felt, there's no way to convey what we've been through so that understanding can be achieved. Sometimes these things require 'walking a few miles in another person's shoes'.

It doesn't matter that you perceive 'bitterness' here. As someone else expressed, for what the Watchtower Society has done - in the Name of God - one would have to be completely ignorant or a fool to not feel anger, righteous indignation, and yes bitterness. Many people lost half their life. Some of us lost our childhood. Most, if not all, of us have lost family relationships and long time friends. That's reason enough to feel those things. For someone to criticise those valid feelings, they have no right to do so.

This is "our" grieving process, our healing. Nobody has the right to try to take it away from us.

Love, Scully

It is not persecution for an informed person to expose a certain religion as being false. - WT 11/15/63

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

Yes, I am.

• DIM
    DIM

I think I'm just really depressed.

i'm sick and tired of hearing things from uptight-short-sighted-narrow minded hypocritics. all i want is the truth just gimme some truth - John Lennon

• COMF
    COMF

Never been happier than I am right now, Rocky.

COMF

• cellomould
    cellomould

i hereby nominate:

bitter_mango

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• flower
    flower

that question sounds like its coming from someone who hasnt had their lives stolen by this sick org. of course were bitter, you would be too. dont make it sound like we dont have any reason for the way we feel. how dare you judge someone when you havent walked in their shoes. sounds just like something i would hear from a jw.

of course we have to move on and we will. some already have. some are just getting started. for some it takes longer. dont question whether someones feelings are valid or not.

flower

• hannibal
    hannibal

Bitter at first
    In a daze for a while(if this isnt it what is?)
    Think for my self(this is where true happiness starts)
    Time heels (true with anything)
    Eventually the cloud of the organization lift
    Reborn,truely happy,bitterness is gone!

"if you cant change your mind are u sure you have one?"

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I'm not bitter. I only invested six years of my life to the WTS. That's small potatoes compared to the one's who were raised in it and lost their childhood to serving the WTS.

If some people are bitter, who can blame them? They gave up the best years of their lives.

Lilacs

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

I am not bitter. I use to be when I first left. But I am over that. I am so much happier knowing I got out as a young person and can experience and live my life and I am not stifled by unnecessary rules.

You are right, many JW appear to be happy. I use to appear that way, but I was not...

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

DWELL.... Mybe thats the word I should have used.

It just seems to me that "some" people on the board are always just looking for something to bitch about... Thats fine...

I am just trying to say that some times this forum sounds like a car full of sisters/brothers out in service...

Flower you should learn to think befor you type. What you don't know about me could fill the Grand Canyon...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit