How I obtained my personal files from Bethel

by jwfacts 123 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I admire your perseverance! Good for YOU!

Hugs,

Annie

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Awesome Paul. Thanks for going through all of that and then sharing it.

From the CO's report....

.... he didn't want to be disfellowshipped himself. Elders are certain that his motivation for this is so that he can continue association with his Witness parents and other family members.

Hey, no kidding? Seriously?

Now this, from an elder's written and filed report:

Michael made the call to Paul's mobile with Luc present, and stated: "...we will not put our decision in writing, and our decision is to take disfellowshipping action..."

Now this is extremely interesting to me from a legal standpoint. Even though your privacy case never made it to the courts and so cannot create precedent from that perspective, here is a finding that could be very useful legally.

The WBTS doesn't put disfellowshipping decisions into writing to the victims, only makes them verbally, specifically so that legal action is almost impossible. Here you have a written admission of a decision.

So the learning here is that for others who may want to pursue legal action against their disfellowshipping, extracting documents like this through privacy laws can cut right through the society's fearful "nothing in writing" policy.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Quillsky - you have picked up on two very important points. One is that it is made out to be somehow wrong to be concerned about loosing the "privilege" to association with your own parents.

The other is that the Watchtower plays a very sly legal game. The avoid putting anything in writing about being disfellowshipped. Even after I sent a legal letter that they were not to contact me by phone they still refused to write about when the judicial committee meeting times were. They did not respond in writing that they were not accepting my request for annulment. Likewise they did not write to me that I was disfellowshipped. I called to verify whether I was disfellowshipped or disassociated and they were even cagey about giving me that much information verbally.

In the committee meeting it was equally unfair. Their were six brothers, yet I was allowed not legal representative or friend for support and no recording devices. So it would always be my word against theirs if I ever needed to take it to court.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

Perhaps we should start a movement here that everyone facing judicial committees from now on INSISTS on recording it as a prerequisite to attending.

I've never seen a scripture against recording devices.

• choosing life
    choosing life

That was all very enlightening, Paul. Thanks so much for taking the time to pursue and post about the whole process. I did not realize that if one agreed to meeting with the elders, that could be taken as being under their authority.

I had decided a long time ago that I would not meet with any elders, but this info gives me renewed resolve in this decision. Thanks again for adding clarity to a very murky process that can only be described as spiritual abuse.

• flipper
    flipper

This is a very important thread which should be bumped to the top actively, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• whereami
    whereami

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!

Just finished going thru everything. Paul that's some serious balls you have buddy. You have my respect that's for sure.

I actually felt sick reading the crap these pompous a-holes were writing. I wish many more were like you and had the courage to go toe to toe with this corporation. Kudos to you my friend.

God I despise this Religion.

• whereami
    whereami

Yes, and I agree with Flipper this should be bumped. Definitely "best of" material.

• life is to short
    life is to short

Thanks, it really helped me to see what they do to people. LITS

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

bttt for the weekend audience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit