Favorite movie line?

by gilwarrior 51 Replies latest social entertainment

• gilwarrior
    gilwarrior

What is your favorite movie line?

Please mention the movie line and why it is the best.

My favorite movie line:

"Ever since I was a kid...I always wanted to be a gangster."
    -Ray Liotta
    "Goodfellas"

The line is great because it is at the beginning of the movie. We see a guy in the truck of the car get stabbed to death by Joe Pesci. The line and the dead-pan way Liotta says it gives us the tone of the rest of the movie .

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Gilwarrior,

The movie, "Out of Africa" has many memorable lines. The one that comes to mind right now is:

"Give me work!"

Karen and her husband have separated, she goes to her foreman and asks to work alongside the farm hands. She needs something to do, something that will occupy her mind!

Many times I think this is what JWD supplies, a place for our disconnected hearts and minds to be occupied lest we somehow die!

IW

• JanH
    JanH

Sorry, no one-liner. I mostly like the longer monologues.

For some odd reason, my two favorite movie speeches were from weddings. Must be some dislike of weddings here.

This is from The Wedding Singer and brilliantly performed by Adam Sandler:

"Some of us will never ever find true love. Take, for instance...me. And I'm pretty sure that guy right there. And that lady with the sideburns. And basically everybody at table nine. But the worst thing is that me, Fatty, Sideburns Lady, and the mutants over at table nine will never ever find a way to better the situation because apparently we have absolutely nothing to offer the opposite sex. Now, let's cut the stupid cake 'cause I know the fat guy's gonna have a heart attack if we don't eat again soon."

And of course Rowan Atkinson as the father-in-law at a wedding:

"Father-in-law: Ladies and gentlemen, and friends of my daughter. There comes a time in every wedding reception when the man who paid for the damn thing is allowed to speak a word or two of his own. And I should like to take this opportunity, sloshed as I may be, to say a word or two about Martin. As far as I'm concerned, my daughter could not have chosen a more delightful, charming, witty, responsible, wealthy, let's not deny it, well-placed, good-looking and fertile young man than Martin as her husband. And I therefore ask the question "Why the hell did she marry Gerald instead?"... because Gerald is a sort of man we used to describe at school as a complete prick! If I may use a gardening simile here, if his entire family may be likened to a compost heap (and I think they can) then Gerald is the biggest weed growing out of it. I think he's a sort of man people emigrate to avoid. I remember the first time I met Gerald, I said to my wife (she's the lovely woman propping of that old lush of a mother of his) either this man is suffering from serious brain damage or the new vacuum cleaner's just arrived. As for his family, they are quite simply the most intolerable herd of steaming social animals that I have ever had the misfortune of turning my nose up to. I spurn you as I would spurn a rabid dog. I would like to propose a toast to the caterers. And to the pigeons who crapped on the groom's family's limousine at the church. Er....as for the rest of you around this table not directly related to me, you can fuck off. I wouldn't trust any of you to sit the right way on a toilet seat. "

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• cynicus
    cynicus

Villager: We should defend ourselves! An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth!

Tevye: Very good. That way the whole world will be blind and toothless.

--- Tevye the milkman, from "Anatevka - Fiddler on the Roof"

This movie is part of JW-folklore from my youth. I remember how in several congregations we went to this movie in large groups. Similar in the UK or USA?

---
    Every absurdity has a champion to defend it.

• LB
    LB

"Badges, we got no badges, we don't need no stinkin badges"

It just quacked me up

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

"Im not gonna hurtcha Wendy...Im just gonna BASH yer brains in...Im gonna bash them the fuck RIGHT IN!"

• larc
    larc

Clark Gable near the end of "Gone With The Wind", when he said, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." I wanted to say that to several wiminz over the years.

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

'Ello My name is Enigo Montoya. You kill my father. Prepare to die.
    Princess Bride

timB

• kenny2
    kenny2

"Does Marcellus Wallace look like a bitch?"
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules in Pulp Fiction

Kenny

• Gopher
    Gopher

"Louie, this could be the start of a great friendship".

-Humphrey Bogart as Rick Blaine, to Claude Rains in "Casablanca"

It's great because it tops off another of a series of surprises in one of the greatest movie-ending scenes ever.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit