Favorite movie line?

by gilwarrior 51 Replies latest social entertainment

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

"Put your pants on and take your gun off."

Good, Bad, Ugly-

• Julie
    Julie

Some good ones in this thread. I have one, not exactly a one liner but I must say it was delivered by one of the all time greatest screen bad guys EVER. Tim Roth as Archibald Cunningham in Rob Roy, had finally captured the elusive Roy, (Liam Neeson sp?), anyway, Poor Rob had been dragged behind a horse all day and rather beaten/broken.

Tim Roth comes strutting up to the broken figure and smugly asks:

"So, how do things look to you today McGregor? Is God's great plan for us all to your liking?" ROFL I am telling you his performance alone is worth watching this movie!

I love the way he delivers that line and challenge anyone to come up with a better on-screen bad guy who you can love to hate.

Another good one, Henry V, knows he would have been sold to the french by traitors and shares his knowledge with said traitors by handing them what looks to be miltary orders, as he is chatting, they read the paper and look at him terrified to have been discovered: Henry V (brilliantly played by Kenneth Branaugh) asks: Well how now gentlemen? Whay see you in those papers that makes you lose so much complexion?" Great line, I love Shakespeare!

Regards,
    Julie, who thinks there are countless Great Lines in The Princess Bride

• Englishman
    Englishman

A man for all seasons:

Paul Schofield as Thomas More, speaking to the abominable Richard who has been promised an earldom if he testifies against him:

"The Scripture says 'What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world but loses his soul', but for Wales, Richard, for WALES?

Englishman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

• more2C
    more2C

I have always wanted to say this to a guy:

"I have a head for business....and a bod for sin."

Told by Melanie Griffith to Harrison Ford, at the bar. In the movie, Working Girl.

more2C

• Seeker
    Seeker

Too many to pick a favorite. Here are some I loved:

From Henry V, Kenneth Branagh's version, with the music swelling, and Henry is addressing his troops before going out to battle in which some of them would die, tells them how lucky they are to be fighting that day:

And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by from this day until the ending of the world but we in it shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he today who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother. Be he ne'er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition, and gentlemen in England now abed shall think themselves acursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whilst any speaks, that fought with us upon St. Crispin's day!
    But for memorable movie lines, I don't think anyone has topped Mae West yet. Note this selection of lines from just one movie, I'm No Angel, where she plays a woman named Tira:

Rajah: You were born in August.
    Tira: Yeah, one of the hot months.
    Rajah: It was on the 17th under the sign of Leo, the Lion.
    Tira: Aw, King of the Beasts, huh.
    Rajah: Ah, you have a wonderful future. I see a man in your life.
    Tira: What, only one?
    Rajah: But this is one very particular man. He is very wealthy, enormously wealthy.
    Tira: ...What does he look like?
    Rajah: I see he has brown eyes. In fact, I see two men...two different men. In the near future, I see a change....I see a change of position.
    Tira: Sitting or reclining?...
    Rajah: The horoscope. Keep this where you may consult it frequently.
    Tira: All right, I'll take it to bed with me.
    Tira: Married five times!...Wedding bells must sound like an alarm clock to you.
    The Chump: I don't suppose you believe in marriage, do you?
    Tira: Only as a last resort...What do you do for a livin'?
    The Chump: Oh, uh, sort of a politician.
    Tira: I don't like work either.
    The Chump: Oh, you know I like to get around and travel, and believe me I've been places and seen things.
    Tira: I've been things and seen places. That sorta evens us up, huh?
    Big Bill: I changed my mind.
    Tira: Does it work any better?
    Reporter: Why did you admit knowing so many men in your life?
    Tira: Well, it's not the men in your life that counts, it's the life in your men.
    Jack: Tonight, you were especially good.
    Tira: When I'm good, I'm very good. But when I'm bad, I'm better.
  • JerryTX
    JerryTX

"The last time I saw a mouth like that, it had a hook in it!!!"
    Rodney Dangerfield -- Caddyshack

"You gonna eat your fat?"
    Spalding in "Caddyshack"

"For the second time in my life, I'm guilty of committing a crime. Parole violation. But I don't think they'll throw up any roadblocks for that. Not for an old crook like me. I find these days I'm so excited I can hardly sit still or hold a single thought in my head. I think it's the excitement that only a free man can feel.... a free man at the start of a long journey, whose conclusion is uncertain.

I hope I can make it across the border.
    I hope to see my friend and shake his hand.
    I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams.
    I hope.

Red's soliloqy at the end of Shawshank Redemption.

--------------------------------------

"The truth will set you free--but first it will make you damn mad."

M. Scott Peck - "The Different Drum"

• Julie
    Julie

Hi Seeker,

I have to say after that scene I was ready to strap on some armour my slef!! One of the all time greatest!!! ("The fewer men, the greater share of honor!!"--absolutely rousing speech!!)

Warm regards,
    Julie

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

Whoever saves one life, saves the world entire.

Schindlers List

I don't want someone in my life I can live with. I want someone in my life I can't live without.
  • VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

what happend to my post???? hmm I saw it post ohh bother!!!

Indiana Jones (scene where the bad guy grabs the big fancy grail and then all hell breaks loose and his eyes rot and all that big nasty scene, and this is the monks reply)
    "He chose...poorly"

Strange Brew (breaks on van don't work, going down step windy road) "Well no point in steering now!"

Pride and Predjudice--Jane Austin
    Elizabeth to Mr. Darcy " I think you should smile more"
    Mr Darcy to Caroline, "what do you think Caroline"
    Caroline, "I would hate to see you smile more then you do, there's something so unrefined in excessive laughter"
    Elizabeth "if you want to be really refined you'd have to be dead, there's no one as dignified as a mummy"

Elizabeth "Honesty is highly overated"

Lady Cathrine, "I would have been a fabulas pianist had I ever taken lessons"

ok ok just read the book, the wit is great!

Tommy Boy
    Chris Farley "a lot of people go to college for 8 years"
    David Spade "Ya! they're called Doctors"

Chris "that's gonna leave a mark"

3 Amigos
    "Now we have to use our brains...damn it!"
    "would you like to kiss me on the veranda? The lips'll be fine"
    "I like the one who's not so smart! Which one is that?"
    "Do you have anything here besides Mexican food?"
    My most used line from this show "If only we'd known this sooner"
    "Infamous: he's not just famous he's in-famous"
    "What do we do now? I don't know we really didn't plan on getting this far"
    "So I just wait here then?"
    "KA KA KA KA, lookup here lookup here wwhoohooohoooo!!!! HEY YOU GUYS"

Rush Hour
    "Your not the only one here with fast hands WAAHHHHH!"
    "You want fives with that" (speaking to kidnapper)
    "Who you think you kidnapped? Chelsea Clinton?"
    (guy goes flying out the window falls to his death) "Well he won't be in Rush Hour 3!"
    RH 1 Chris Tucker "DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMMIN' OUTTA MY MOUTH"
    RH 2 Jackie Chan "DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT ARE COMMIN' OUTTA MY MOUTH" Chris Tucker "don't nobody understand the words that are coming out of your mouth"

Mom's fav quote
    Hunt for Red October "Keep your options open"

In Laws
    "there's tremendous red tape in the bush"
    "SERPENTINE"

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• wonderwoman77
    wonderwoman77

Hmmm...I like so many lines, but my fav movie of all time is Stand by me. I can quote the entire movie. But I love the line when Teddy (cory feldman) is fighting with the junk man and says "I am going to rip your head off and shit down your neck"

Also when they are around the campfire and Vern loses his hot dog in the fire they say "You could cook your dick. It would be a small meal"
    Damn i love that movie :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit