At a 2 day assembly ...the point that the brother spoke about that drove me mad....."don't hug your husband, wife or child during prayer".

by crazy2try 80 Replies latest jw experiences

• cattails
    cattails

Nothing about Facebook, just a warning about the internet and

social networking sites, but no site name dropping at the CA I went to.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

You know, some people are just kind of unconsciously touchy feely? I am, and yes, it's gotten me in trouble a time or two. To me, there's nothing sexual about it. I'm also a massage therapist (among other things...I've had about 9 jobs I've trained for or studied for in my life!), so I found a healthy outlet for my predeliction. I'm very comfortable touching people, I guess, so the offense about it stated here is something I'd have never even thought about.

It's also a good thing to be comfortable touching people in CNA/nursing, my other job, so I'm good. And believe me, like the starship Enterprise, I've boldly touched people where you probably wouldn't want to go.

When I was working at an assisted living daycare for mentally handicapped adults, as a CNA/educator, I once got reprimanded for "touching the clients too much". I had no idea I was even doing it, but I'd squeeze people's shoulders or arms all day when I was working with them.

Actually, the clients loved me. Most of them were Down's and those are some huggy people, man. They were initiating a lot of the contact, and I was supposed to be reminding them that that was "inappropriate". Boy, did they pick the wrong person for that assignment.

• ana_dote
    ana_dote

Maybe they should come up with an outline discussing the evils of picking wedgies, adjusting your pantyhose, checking your fly, picking your nose, digging in your ears and all the other subconcious things that people wait until the prayer to do....because after all, everyone should have their eyes CLOSED!!!! :-P

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Ana-Dote, that made me spew my drink! I started thinking about all the times I've opened my eyes during a prayer at the KH and wished I'd hadn't.

Once, I saw an elder reach down and ever so sneakily adjust himself, hand right down in his pants because he thought no one was looking. Not that bad, but then he went around shaking hands with everyone after the meeting...EWWWWWW!

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

To the dirty mind, all things are unclean. That's why the geezers locked up in Bethel view all physical contact as sexual.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

mad, you got it locked down, that's where their mind is at!

once, this sister ratted on a brother to the elders.... the offense?: he was scratching near his balls. he was in the hallway facing the bathroom door!

• crazy2try
    crazy2try

I love all these comments.

I do remember opening my eyes as a child during prayer and sneaking a peek around to see who had their eyes open. I remember seeing several nose pickers, kids pushing on each other, parents reaching over and giving their kid a pinch, I received several of those. the funniest was when a sister in front of me lost her slip during the prayer. She just reached down, scooped it up and put it in her bag. I remember watching her action after the prayer. She acted like nothing happened. I thought it was so funny.

• Quillsky
    Quillsky

The only way to understand this ban is that it's about a misunderstanding of sexual arousal by very elderly men in New York who have never had sex.

The idea of a man with his eyes closed and his lovely wife holding him can only mean one thing, an erect penis and his mind wondering onto other things. More importantly, the 40-year-old virgin ministerial servant who accidentally opens his eyes and sees this prayerful foreplay can only result in him being stumbled by his own inappropriate woody during the prayer.

Sure.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

Can anyone remember where it originated in WT lore that brothers on the stage should not wear anything but white shirts? I think it started because the brother in charge of the speakers at conventions/assemblies insisted on it with verbal direction from headquarters. It spread even to brothers giving talks at the KH. It was more than one congregation doing this and pastel shirts are not allowed at DCs on the platform. One brotgher was made to go home and change his shirt when the DO discovered it was not white. Then the WTS had to put it in writing that this was never there intention but some "overeager" brothers instituted this rule. Even 12 years later a congregation in this area was still requiring them. (notice that only "pastel" shirts were allowed) I can see the same sort of "thinking" in this.

I do, and thought it was crazy as a kid. I remember in my KH some elders brought extra white shirts so if a brother showed up in a colored or print shirt they would ask him to change. Absolutely crazy!

As already stated, it is not for elders to “police” the private marital matters of couples in the congregation. However, if it becomes known that a member of the congregation is practicing or openly advocating perverted sex relations within the marriage bond, that one certainly would not be irreprehensible, and so would not be acceptable for special privileges, such as serving as an elder, a ministerial servant or a pioneer. Such practice and advocacy could even lead to expulsion from the congregation.

This has been discussed in my circle of friends and I ALWAYS advise "do not give ANY info about your sex life". Sort of a "don't ask don't tell" situation.

At our 2 day assembly the CO got very specific and mentioned; facebook, my space, social networking sites and even blogs. He went to the point of saying we could be "spiritually" bloodguilty as an adult frequenting those sites. Our children/young ones in the KH would think it was ok to log on them. First thing in my mind was this is complete BS and then I leaned over to my husband and said "so kids are not allowed to have alcohol should I never have a drink so not to stumble them?" Then I proceeded to say, I am not giving up my FB account. Funny thing is most elders and their wives are still active on FB. :) I dread when these brothers take the liberty to give their own opinions. I asked around from friends all over the US and most of the speakers did not get specific or say some could be spiritually bloodguilty.

• CuriousButterfly
    CuriousButterfly

There is a site for dumb state laws here are some on Massachusetts:

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/united-states/massachusetts

A woman can not be on top in sexual activities.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit