Resignation - not that it matters at all, but ....

by TheOldHippie 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Kismet
    Kismet

Hippy:

Tough decision. Frenchy among others have described well the feelings involved.

I am not sure if you are still associating. If so, please consider the following.

How many times in your years of elder's meetings has the CO and dressed down the body about shepherding calls? I think most have seen the flurry of visits before the CO's visit, just so 'we' could tell teh CO "oh yeah we just did a call on so&so"

I stuck around the congegation for a while after stepping aside. I found the freedom allowed me without meeting parts, meetings etc I had more time to get to know the congregation. I found I was able to 'shepherd' more people as a non-elder than I was as an elder. Being available to help people, help them move, buy groceries, take some of the elderly out on errands, going over to these same people's homes jsut for tea and company, listening to people, hospital visits, etc.

I also found that while I lost some of the previously discussed "P's" the brothers and sisters found me a lot more approachable and were far more open about their feelings because they didn't fear possible repercussions (at least that was my impression of some).

I guess what I am getting at is that if you are going to stick around, you can do the work of an elder that you didn't have time to do while serving as one. The people, the flock are the primary work of the elders. Taking care of them and their needs.

If you decided that you are leaving the congregation as well. I strongly suggest finding other outlets where you can be helpful to people. It sounds like it is part of your personal character, there is no reason to muzzle your love for people jsut because you leave the Witnesses. There are many excellent charities out there that would jump at the chance to get help from you.

Just food for thought.

Kismet

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

((((OldHippie)))) Congratulations on making the choice to live your life for yourself. Whatever you do, listen to your heart because it will never let you down or do you wrong. If you need a support system, you know here to turn. That had to be a very hard step for you and there may be more to come.

Maybe not all of us here understand what it is like to be an elder for 20+ years, but we do understand what it is like to wake up and realize your whole life and mission was based upon a lie. We are here for you.

Amanda

• JT
    JT

Freeman says:

I won’t name names, but I have seen several people, some on this board, let their anger get the better of them and then blame their brothers or former brothers in the faith for their disillusionment. I’ve even caught myself doing this at times.

--------

well stated indeed- it is much easier to blame someone than to blame a System- when you consider that most of us and esp ones who became jw as adults did so due to the hope that wt offered for myself who as a kid my mom would never lie or put me at harms way

now my mother is so hurt that she kept us out of college and all the lost time that my fleshly brothers and sister have lost in thier lives

my mom often says now how could i do this to my kids

and i try to help her see it was not your fault mom you just got taken advantage of

yes we all made monthly payments on our "Breach Front Property Timeshare" that WT was selling us- regardless of position we made those PAYMENTS FAITHFULLY cause we believed that we would get to use it

james

• JanH
    JanH

Old Hippie,

I understand this was not an easy decision to make, but I will applaud you for making it. Like Norm said, many of us, and I among them, tried for some time to defend the indefensible.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• Valentine
    Valentine

Hi Hippie,
    Making such a hard life decision takes real courage.And that you have! Wishing you the best on your life journey.hugs,Tina

• TR
    TR

Hippie,

Can you tell us the particular reason you stepped down, or is it a general "easing out of the WT" thing?

TR

"YK is his name, false prophecy is his game"

• AlanF
    AlanF

Congratulations, OldHippie! That's a hard step to make, and I'm proud of you!

You're part of a wave of resignations that will be made this year. A lot of elders were hanging on until the recent KM Schools, hoping for decent changes. Now they know that, if anything, the screws are tightening down even more.

AlanF

• sweetone2377
    sweetone2377

Best wishes, OH. I hope that things work out for the better for you.

Shelly
    Former victim and recovering wonderfully from a broken spirit
    Smile, because we all have been freed from slavery!!

• AMarie
    AMarie

Old Hippie:

No matter what path you decide to take from here on out, whether it be to stay with the JWs of fade away, I wish you the best. If you do indeed decided to distance yourself from the JWs, please keep your head up and keep pushing forward. No matter how difficult it becomes, we will always be here to support you through the tough times.

May peace be with you.

Amanda

• LB
    LB

Well Old Hippie Im sure you must appreciate having a site such as this where you are able to express yourself freely. A previous poster is correct. You'll be better able to help your friends at the kingdom hall.

Take care of yourself, don't let the pressures get to you.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit