Ebonics Homework

by Tatiana 30 Replies latest social humour

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

No, Y2L, I didn't mean to cause anyone to be offended. I didn't write it. Probably if I'd left off the title it would have just been a joke about Mike Tyson, who, IMO, IS a joke! (No matter what color he is.) I already said it wasn't an accurate portrayal of Ebonics. Whoever wrote it just used it in the title.

People make fun of redneck's use of language too. And I guess if I'd thought of the "color" thing, I may not have posted it. I don't think all white people talk like the characters on "King of the Hill", and I certainly don't think all Black people talk like Mike! But the fact is, with my marriage to a black man and all of my six children being mixed, (one is a rapper), color never crossed my mind, I just thought it was funny. I STILL think it's funny!

All of my older kids are very educated, but like to fall into
    the "language" at times. Not the "bitches" and "hos" wording, but then I don't call that Ebonics. It's just plain ignorant, like Mike!

I apologize Faithful....I never thought you talked this way.

April
    "Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

OMG, Tim, you sound just like the idiots on King of the Hill! LOL

Hillbonics...good one!

Love ya...

April
    "Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

April,

Funny you should say that.. King of the Hill is actually set in the area where I currently reside. And yes, I work with some people just like that. Life is downright funny around here sometimes.

TimB

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Of course, if we can't laugh in a good natured way about linguistic differences, it means the English can't laugh at ALL Americans for the way they use 'English', it means that the snooty upper-class English accent and the cheery cockney accent American's find so funny will have to be banned from TV lest someone laugh, that no-one will be allowed to laugh at Canadians when they say 'about', that Australians will not be automatically amusing, that the Irish will not have accents that reduce women's knees to jelly, and that entire TV series with silly English accents people laugh at will have to be burned, like 'Hello Hello', or 'Fawlty Towers'.

I suppose it means I won't be able to find some of the names chosen by my Taiwanese co-workers funny, like;

Hand-some Chang
    Flipper Wu
    Gospel Wu
    Dream Wu
    Crack Liu
    Panzer Liu
    Goo Chen
    Never Chen
    Beer Chen
    Silent Liu
    Great Lui
    Sky Lui
    Sdenly Lui
    Whisky Wu
    Witch Wu
    Stone Wu
    Euphoria Wu
    Golf Hsu
    Squid Hsu
    Pyramyth Liu
    Adviser Chen
    Sincere Chen
    Book Kao
    Hunting Kao
    Pinky Liao...

and my favourate, Ceiling Wang (if there was a god if would be Ceiling Fang... )

I grew up in a mixed community, and I think it is vital to question the motive of a joke; are they laughing at you because you are <insert race>, or because something is FUNNY?

I live in Hoilland, and find it shocking how open people are here about laughing about differences, and Holland is a very racially mixed country with comparatively minor race problems. Maybe they know something we don't.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

LOL! Thanks for the laugh {:)]

Humour is rarely politically correct.

Path

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

yrs2long

Actually, the term ebonics is a word that was coined by black linguistic professionals as an expression of pride of African sounds and language structure; it is a combination of two words, ebony (black) and phonics (sounds).
    I would LOVE to see some documentation on this. Everything I've personally witnessed or been exposed to about ebonics indicates it is "improper" english grammar with slang thrown in. I'd also like to see some information on it being considered a first language. (Anyone with a television is exposed to simple standard english from the beginning of their language-learning years.)

As with all language, "improper" use of vocabulary or grammar can eventually become accepted ("aint" finally made it into the dictionary). I'm aware that ebonics has rules of its own, but I find it very difficult to believe that it was created by someone with an english usage textbook in one hand, and a swahili usage textbook in the other, who invented specific rules based on "African sounds and language structure."

I don't believe use of ebonics is a sign of ignorance, but young kids today refusing to learn "standard" english--or the educational system crippling them by not insisting they learn it--only hurts them.

I understand that this can quickly and easily become a highly charged issue, so if you'd rather not discuss it I completely understand. It's not my wish to argue, either.

Hmmm

• teejay
    teejay

Don't mean to take the topic off-topic, but are you married yrs2long? Just... ummm.... curious. Something about your pic just MADE me ask. Good googlie goo!! Yum.

--------------------------------------------------
    Meer! Youant sum fresh maters.
    Dem taters 'bout ready to dig?
    HoooooooWeeeee! Dat outhouse is STAINKY!

Tim,

I think it's kinda scary to admit this (never know who's listenin'), but I understood everything you said!! Ahhh, the memories!

--------------------------------------------------
    Btw April, I thought they were funny.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    but young kids today refusing to learn "standard" english-

refusing?

Please nigga. please.

• Hmmm
    Hmmm
    but young kids today refusing to learn "standard" english-

refusing?

Please nigga. please.

SixofNine,

Well I certainly don't think they're incapable of learning standard english. I hope you're not saying that, and if so I have no desire to debate such a racist attitude.

Hmmm

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

LOL

nice way to turn it around friend. *shaking head in disbelief at this one*

Now then, isn't using the word "refusing" being just a bit of a drama queen?

Have you seen alot of inner city kids at the age of 6 or 7 saying "uhnh uh, ain' no way I gonna talks proper, an you kint makes me... das right, I refuse to learns"?

Does that really happen.

Or do they just refuse in their heart, like Sarah?

Language is fluid like a muthafucka. You can spend time worrying about whether that is good or bad, but that is all you are going to do about it.

I'm not saying it can't be educated out of them, but I'm very doubtful if it makes sense to make that the target of said education. Many black people end up able to speak more than one type of english.

Then again, at my age, I'm not so sure I'm not "incapable" of learning spanish, lol.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit