Lazarus Returns From the Dead

by cameo-d 56 Replies latest watchtower bible

• snowbird
    snowbird

Matthew 27:51 -53 At that moment, the Temple curtain was ripped in two, top to bottom. There was an earthquake, and rocks were split in pieces. What's more, tombs were opened up, and many bodies of believers asleep in their graves were raised. (After Jesus' resurrection, they left the tombs, entered the holy city, and appeared to many.) MSG

Sylvia

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I can imagine...

Hepatius:Yo Solonius, I though you were dead dude !!!

Solonius: Yeah, me too, next thing you know I am wlaking around and dude, I am so freaking hungry !!!

Hepatius: Lets go get a burger !!

Solonius: Sweet !!

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

PSacramento: "Jesus brought back to life Lazarus and the little girl too, but Lazarus had been dead a few days while the girl had just died. Elijah brought back to life the widows son also. Lazarus's ressurection was "unique" in the sense that Lazarus was much loved by Jesus, he had been dead for some time and it was the last of Jesus's miracles ( besides his own ressurection of course)."

Isn't it possible that Jesus was a very educated man? Could it be that he was a traveling physician as well as a philosopher?

There are several ancient papyrus's (from as early as 1550 BC) detailing ailments, diagnoses, and treatments.

Medical institutions, referred to as Houses of Life are known to have been established in ancient Egypt as early as the 1st Dynasty. [ 10

The earliest known physician is also credited to ancient Egypt: Hesy-Ra, “Chief of Dentists and Physicians” for King Djoser in the 27th century BC. [ 10 ] Also, the earliest known woman physician, Peseshet, practiced in Ancient Egypt at the time of the 4th dynasty.

The oldest Babylonian texts on medicine date back to the Old Babylonian period in the first half of the 2nd millennium BC. The most extensive Babylonian medical text, however, is the Diagnostic Handbook written by the physician Esagil-kin-apli of Borsippa, [ 11 ] during the reign of the Babylonian king Adad-apla-iddina (1069-1046 BC). [ 12 ]

Archaeologists in Mehrgarh in Balochistan province in the present day Pakistan discovered that the people of Indus Valley Civilization from the early Harappan periods (c. 3300 BC) had knowledge of medicine and dentistry. Later research in the same area found evidence of teeth having been drilled, dating back 9,000 years. [ 14 ]

The Susrutasamhita is notable for describing procedures on various forms of surgery, including rhinoplasty, the repair of torn ear lobes, perineal lithotomy, cataract surgery, and several other excisions and other surgical procedures.

(Jesus repaired a torn earlobe. Could he have used a surgucal procedure? There were medical teaching facilities since the days of the Egyptians. )

The first known Greek medical school opened in Cnidus in 700 BC.

A towering figure in the history of medicine was the physician Hippocrates of Kos (ca. 460 BC – ca. 370 BC), considered the "father of modern medicine."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_medicine

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Since the painting posted above has now turned into a red x, I am attempting to repost this from a different source in hopes that the image will be available. Should this painting not stick to the post, you can view it here: http://www.lib-art.com/imgpainting/5/5/9355-resurrection-of-lazarus-duccio-di-buoninsegna.jpg

Resurrection of Lazarus

Duccio

1308- 1311 est.

And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go. (John 11:44)

Having been dead myself (NDE) and also having been in a coma for a period of time, it is much easier for me to believe that one can return from that state than it is for me to believe that someone can get out of a box and walk around bound like a mummy. I don't believe it occurred the way it has been simplified in scripture. There is no way to bend a joint or maneuver in a get up like that.

Something that strikes me strange in this painting is the two black trees growing out of solid mountain rock. I am sure this is a hidden symbolic message or metaphor of some kind. But I don't know the meaning. Any guesses?

• journey-on
    journey-on

cameo....You may have explained this and perhaps I missed it, but are you saying the artists of these early paintings were somehow trying to convey hidden messages that the church wanted to keep secret?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

The Raising of Lazarus

by Nicholas Froment

This painting was presented to the monastery of Bosco ai Frati in the Mugello by Cosimo the Elder who had received it as a gift from Francesco Coppini, the Papal Legate in Flanders. It has been in possession of the Uffizi Gallery Museum (Florence, Italy) since 1841.

This painting has some very curious elements. I am especially intrigued by what appears to be a court jester. What could be the meaning of this?

• journey-on
    journey-on

I'm intrigued by all the positions of the hands and fingers....almost like sign language.

• Chalam
    Chalam

If Jesus could resurrect from the dead, why did he only do this once?

Matthew 22:29

Matthew 9:24, Acts 20:9 etc.

Hebrews 13:8 (New International Version)

8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

Dead man raised from the dead by TB Joshua

Raised from the Dead! by Reinhard Bonnke - Part 1 of 6 Dead Man Raised by Famed Doctor's Prayer Raised From The Dead & Healed After Being Shot 5 Times!! Blessings, Stephen

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

The Catacombs of Rome

... are ancient catacombs, or underground burial places under or near Rome, Italy, of which there are at least forty, some discovered only in recent decades. Though most famous for Christian burials, they include pagan and Jewish burials, either in separate catacombs or mixed together. They began in the 2nd century, [citation needed] as much as a response to overcrowding and shortage of land as they were to satisfy the need for persecuted Christians to bury their dead secretly.

The Christian catacombs are extremely important for the art history of early Christian art, as they contain the great majority of examples from before about 400 AD, in fresco and sculpture. The Jewish catacombs are similarly important for the study of Jewish art at this period.

From about the second century AD, inhumation (burial of unburnt remains) became more fashionable, in graves or sarcophagi, often elaborately carved, for those who could afford them. [ 1 ] Christians also preferred burial to cremation because of their belief in bodily resurrection at the Second Coming.

There are forty known subterranean burial chambers in Rome. The practice of burying the dead underground began in the 2nd century.

Above quotes from wiki.

For additional reading on the catacombs: http:// divinity.uchicago.edu/martycenter/conferences/thedead/private/hirschfeld.pdf

Catacomb of the Giordani

4th Century

Rome

What is this object that seems to be a rag on a stick? Does it signify that Jesus used some sort of physical preparation in reviving Lasarus? Does it convey the meaning that some sort of 'black magic' was used on Lasarus to cause his 'death'? More intrigue. Any guesses?

• journey-on
    journey-on

cameo....Are you intimating the artists had some kind of info or knowledge outside the Church? What are you suggesting? Or, are you saying the Church knows something more than what we are being told?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit