Lazarus Returns From the Dead

by cameo-d 56 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Consider the tone of these words:

When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was troubled.

(groaning in spirit signifies anger and wrath. Why is he pissed? Does it have something to do with the pretensious entourage? If these were close family friends they would be named and not simply referred to as "the Jews". Other than close family who hangs around a grieving family for four days "weeping" and following them everywhere?)

And said, Where have ye laid him? They said unto him, Lord, come and see.

Jesus wept.

Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!

(doesn't this seem a bit gloating? They appear to be more concerned with Jesus's reaction rather than offering him any comfort. Could this be why they have been hanging around so long....waiting for him to show up so they can feel self satisfied in hurting him by killing his friend? When Mafia threatens people...don't they go for the victims loved ones and not the victim himself?)

And some of them said, Could not this man, which opened the eyes of the blind, have caused that even this man should not have died?

(Do these words not appear to be mocking and scornful? It seems a very callous remark. Does it not seem to echo the same sentiments when the chief priests and scribes mocked him on the cross? "You can save others but you can't save yourself" and taunting him to come down off the cross,... torture stake ...whatever you want to call it. The antagonizing attitude seems to be the same.)

Jesus therefore again groaning in himself cometh to the grave.

(Again, we see this "groaning" signifying anger. His good friend is dead. His emotions should be grief and sadness. So what is bringing him to anger? )

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

A Farkelism for you

That's the wrong question. A more important question is this: Jesus reportedly raised a man from the dead (Lazarus). He wasn't just "dead", he was three DAYS stinking rotting dead. It was quite the miracle. But NO ONE, not even the educated Romans who were watching every move Jesus did, bothered to record it. Yet, it was a miracle of earth-shattering importance.
    The only ones who recorded this huge miracle didn't bother to record it for 30 to 50 years AFTER it happened. This bothers me. And THEY were the "true believers" not the other skeptics who actually witnessed it and who were literate enough to have recorded it WHEN it happened.
    Farkel
  • Witness 007
    Witness 007

What did you think of my ideas on page 2 Cameo? I have another idea. There were no doctors at the time so Lazarus after drinking some wine falls asleep on the side of the road. Thinking he was "hit and run" by a Roman Chariot the Jews "wrap and stack" him in a tomb. Someone forgot a Tuna Subway sandwich in the tomb...therefore the smell.......as far as I'm concerned, case closed my dear Watson!

{Witness 007 walks away puffing on his Pipe}

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Resurrection of Lazarus

Duccio

1308- 1311 est.

And he that was dead came forth, bound hand and foot with graveclothes: and his face was bound about with a napkin. Jesus saith unto them, Loose him, and let him go. (John 11:44)

Having been dead myself (NDE) and also having been in a coma for a period of time, it is much easier for me to believe that one can return from that state than it is for me to believe that someone can get out of a box and walk around bound like a mummy. I don't believe it occurred the way it has been simplified in scripture. There is no way to bend a joint or maneuver in a get up like that.

Something that strikes me strange in this painting is the two black trees growing out of solid mountain rock. I am sure this is a hidden symbolic message or metaphor of some kind. But I don't know the meaning. Any guesses?

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Black Sheep:

That's the wrong question. A more important question is this: Jesus reportedly raised a man from the dead (Lazarus). He wasn't just "dead", he was three DAYS stinking rotting dead. It was quite the miracle. But NO ONE, not even the educated Romans who were watching every move Jesus did, bothered to record it. Yet, it was a miracle of earth-shattering importance.

Poor Farkley. He never could get his facts straight. It was FOUR days...not three.

Witness007: "What did you think of my ideas on page 2 Cameo? "

Uh, this IS page 2. Are you referring to some other thread perhaps?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Sorry page one.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Witness007: "Another account says his last meal was a "Puffer fish" which can cause fake death like symptoms...."

I am glad you brought it to my attention that you responded on page 1. I had missed it!

Ah, the puffer fish story. Earlier I mentioned a zombie potion. The puffer fish as well as a specific datura plant (zombie cucumber) and a few other toxins for good measure are in the mix.

In Voodoo, puffer's poison must be ingested by the victim for the black magic of creating "zombies," most likely because of the pseudocomatose effect. [ 4 ] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraodontidae

It is very possible, I would suppose, that something like that could be obtained through the Silk Road trade routes of that time period.

Sometimes these potions were administered by dipping a thorn into the potion (usually a liquid or gum) and then scratching the person with it when in a crowd. Powders were sprinkled on doorsteps or clothing or blown on the victim. The bokor usually had a side kick that was unknown by others and could do his bidding in a most discreet manner.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Jesus brought back to life Lazarus and the little girl too, but Lazarus had been dead a few days while the girl had just died.

Elijah brought back to life the widows son also.

Lazarus's ressurection was "unique" in the sense that Lazarus was much loved by Jesus, he had been dead for some time and it was the last of Jesus's miracles ( besides his own ressurection of course).

• sir82
    sir82
    If Jesus could resurrect from the dead, why did he only do this once?

As I recall, there are 3 other resurrections attributed to Jesus (in other Gospel accounts)

-- Son of widow of Nain

-- Jairus' daughter

-- Somebody else I can't remember now.

• acolytes
    acolytes

Actually there could be thosands of resurrections attributed to Jesus in Matthews account alone. I cant be botherd to find the scripture but it says on his death all the tombs opend and the dead saints came to life.Presumably this would been an event perserved by other writters of the time. It was truly miraculouse. Any comments?

Acolytes

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit