Lazarus Returns From the Dead

by cameo-d 56 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

What did Lazarus "die" from, anyway? How can we be sure he was not in a coma? How can we be sure this was not a staged event? How do we know it's not just a tall tale interjected by some monk in the Vatican's writing department?

Isn't the concept of resurrection predicated on this instance? If Jesus could resurrect from the dead, why did he only do this once?

Could it be that this story was a "false flag" designed to lessen another event of greater importance?

These are some of the questions I would like to examine in this thread.

Do you have any questions about this event? What are your thoughts?

• dgp
    dgp

Have you ever wondered why we don't have any account of anyone asking Lazarus what being dead was like, how it felt to be back, et cetera? Or the daughter of Jairus? Or the many who are supposed to have been resurrected when Christ was killed?

Good question. If Jesus could resurrect the dead, why didn't he do it with others?

Cameo-D, I think you would like books by Barton Erhman. Like "Misquoting Jesus", for example. Terry has a wealth of information and he pointed that one to me. The only truth about the Bible is that there is a lot about wich we can't be sure when it was added or by whom.

In God is not Great, Christopher Hitchens points out that, if resurrection can happen that easily, then perhaps the resurrection of the Christ loses some shine? He also points out that, since we have to believe Jesus is God, then we also have to believe that he actually didn't die. So he didn't actually resurrect. Or did he?

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

No one living today was there, so now what?

Judge Dread

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

ZOMBIE LAZARUS

Mosaic

6th century

Basilica of Sant' Apollionare

("This is one of the most important buildings from the period of crucial cultural significance in European religious art". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sant%27Apollinare_Nuovo)

Ravenna, Italy

(Ravenna was the seat of the Roman Empire in the 5th century and then of Byzantine Italy until the 8th century. It has a unique collection of early Christian mosaics and monuments. Ravenna rose to power in the 1st century BC under the Emperor Augustus. The town converted to Christianity very early, in the 2nd century A.D. As Rome's power declined, Ravenna took over as capital of the Western Empire (402 A.D.) The following century it came under the rule of Thedoric and the Arian Ostrogoths and in 540 the city became part of the Byzantine Empire under Justinian. These early christian mosaics span the years of Roman, Ostrogothic, and Byzantine rule.)

Zombie Lazarus

The artwork here reminds me of a zombie, and thus leads me to the question "could this resurrection have been a staged event?". But, then you might ask,"Are zombies real or myth?" In the 1970's a young botanist, Wade Davis, was sponsored by the AMA to spend time in Haiti gathering research of the "zombie potion" in hopes of finding new sources for anesthesia. He spent many years among the voodoo doctors (houngans) and has written much of his experiences and findings.

Zombification is used as a punishment for those who continually cause problems and break laws. Sometimes a powder might be sprinkled on the persons doorstep and absorbed through the feet, or administered in some other indiscriminate way. These "special powders" cause the person to fall into a trance and the heart rate is slowed. For all intent and purposes, the person appears dead. The effects are so convincing that coroners have signed death certificates and funerals and burial have taken place. In past times, the houngan would dig up the person after burial, revive them, and they would be sold as slave labor to another tribe. Even though the person would be revived, the potion causes brain damage, and thus the person becomes a "zombie".

Could something like this have happened to Lazarus?

Another thing to notice in this mosaic is the "eye" in the pyramid above Lazarus. Is this a hidden message of some sort? Why is this pyramid and eye so often repeated in mysterious religious artworks?

• choosing life
    choosing life

Those resurrections mentioned in the Bible would be some really good experiences. I do wonder why there is nothing written about what happened to these ones who experienced death and then returned. A witness would say because they were unconscious, but even that info would be important to share. So you died, tell us what happened? Isn't that THE question everyone wants answered. Makes you wonder.

I like to read about near death experiences, especially from young children. Elizabeth Kubler-Ross wrote a lot about death and dying. The witnesses teach that death is your enemy. I don't see it that way. Everyone dies. I have worked a lot with terminally ill persons and making peace with your own death is something we all need to learn to do.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread
    The witnesses teach that death is your enemy.

The Witnesses?

How about the Apostle Paul:

1 Corinthians 15:26 (New International Version)

26 The last enemy to be destroyed is death.

Judge Dread

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

The shortest verse in the bible is Jesus's reaction to the death of Lazarus.

"Jesus wept." (John 11:35)

Could it be that Lazarus was deliberately poisoned by people who had warned Jesus to shut up and stop interferring with their religious dictates? He was exposing the corruption of religion. Doesn't it seem likely that they would hurt someone he loved in retaliation?

Was poisoning or zombification used during this time in history? Would it be likely that Jesus knew of these things and the poison(s) that were frequently used? Could it be that he also had knowledge of the antidotes?

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread

cameo,

Are you mentally ill or what?

Does this BS come out of your head, or did you read this someplace?

Judge Dread

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Judge Dread: "cameo, Are you mentally ill or what?"

My teachers always called it an "over-active imagination." And I had a couple of sugar cookies tonight.

Judge Dread: "Does this BS come out of your head, or did you read this someplace?"

What part in particular are you referring to? I don't think these bible stories have been presented accurately to us.

• Judge Dread
    Judge Dread
    I don't think these bible stories have been presented accurately to us.

You were NOT there, so how do you know?

You don't, and you don't know anyone who was there.

Judge Dread

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit