Giving Up Smoking

by ballistic 75 Replies latest jw friends

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

Ballistic....I got an email saying there was a post on this threat and though I would jaunt over and see if you were still at it (not smoking that is).

good for you!!

I love success stories and obvious you are one.

Wow, you must be verrry rich by now!

Sunny

• ballistic
    ballistic

YES I DID IT.

My smoky past is now a distant memory. It will be 7 MONTHS in a week or so.

In fact, I can't imagine smoking anymore.

I used to sit here reading JWD.com puffing away on rolled up Golden Virginia or Marlboros.

Now the smell of smoke makes me heave, I go week after week without even giving it a 2nd thought.

Just WANT TO SHOUT ABOUT IT SOME MORE.

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

ballistic.....

In the past Mr Marlboro made lots of money off of me!!!! Now I spend it on myself! My husband and I are going to the Western Carribean on the money we saved this year!

Congradulations!!!!

YOU ARE THE MAN!

Sunny

• hybridous
    hybridous

I was a chewer....so, some things are different, but I definately understand the nicotine buzz/addiction.

I quit almost a year ago, what it took was...a scare.

I had some intense, detailed dreams about having mouth/throat caner. Scared the crap outta me. I woke up determined to kick the habit. So far...I have. Fear, it turns out, is a strong motivator. My advice...

Get scared.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

This will teach me to read theDATE ON THE THREAD before I post a reply. LOL Plum

E-Man gave me some good advice in a thread awhile back. Can't remember the thread but it was in reference to how your frame of mind can play a major part in your success.

I tried the patches and the drugs and the on and on.....

I still smoke.

The last shot was with the patches and because the lowest dose (patch) was triple what my system was use to with the ciggs (lowest nicotine) they made me extremely sick the first few days. I felt like I was smoking my first camel non-filter. Dizzy the whole nine yards. They were (the patches) too strong for me at first and I had to adjust to them.

I am going to start drug therapy this week with Zyban to quit.

I've smoked now for almost 40 years. Yes 40 years. I started as a kid at school. Grammar school.

Don't know how I managed to hide it for so many years but I did. Started smoking in public 30 years ago. But only when I was OUT OF TOWN and wouldn't be seen by fellow congers.

It has been the last vice of mine that has been seriously kicking my butt.

I dont want to my last words before I die to be "Gotta smoke?"

So I am going to try again but this time I am going to SWAMP myself with LOTS to do.

STAY OUT SIDE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE and PLEASE PLEASE clean out the inside of your car to get all the nicotine smell out FIRST THING.

As soon as I got in my car it would hit me the hardest.

There is no nicotine smell in my house but there is in my car. This week my car is getting steamed.

GOOD LUCK

Plum

Edited by - plmkrzy on 18 August 2002 19:8:57

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

This will teach me to read the DATE ON THE THREAD before I post a reply.

GOOD JOB! TO BALLISTIC! CONGRATS!!!!!!

NOW Wish Me Luck!

Edited by - plmkrzy on 18 August 2002 19:1:45

• siegswife
    siegswife

When I realized I was pregnant with my daughter I quit in two days (for the 2nd time) with the aid of that nicorette gum. ick One thing I did was play a mind game with myself by having a full pack of cigarettes at home. That way I felt like I was in control of the situation, instead of jonesing for cigs that I didn't have, I just didn't smoke the ones I did.

I know it wouldn't work for everyone, but it worked for me.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Well I never, my computers been off line after an upgrade (Plug and Play - my foot) 
    and I come back and find this at the top. I can tell you this, and this is my advice.
    Giving up smoking with the zyban is not easy --- but 10 times easier than without.
    I don't know if this is a correct description, but it is like the zyban removes all
     of the chemical addiction but leaves you with the psycological addiction.
    It will be like waking up in time cop, where your body has been frozen for so long, 
    you are not addicted but your brain remembers it should be moving white bits of paper
     in and out of your mouth every so often. I started dreaming about smoking. 
    I would actually get the effect of smoking in the dream and wake up thinking 
    "shit - why did I do that?" 
     I would say that the hardest part about giving up smoking is the first 3 days. 
    That doesn't mean give up on an easy day like the weekend. I gave up on a Tuesday,
     when I am most busy. After 3 days, most people start smoking again. The reason is
     it is like a peak in the addiction cycle. 3 days is the hardest part MEANING ON THE 3rd day is the hardest part. 
    AFTER that it becomes easier. 3 months is another classic relapse period. 
    On 3 months, you forget how hard it was to give up, and your brain starts telling you, 
    'I'll be OK with 1 cig - I gave up soooo easily, one fag wont hurt' 
    Again, pass that miule stone and you'll probably feel like me, richer, healthier and
     cocky telling everyone else just how easy it really is!!!!

Edited by - ballistic on 18 August 2002 19:18:25

• ballistic
    ballistic

AND GOODLUCK PLM

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    I started dreaming about smoking.
    I would actually get the effect of smoking in the dream and wake up thinking 
    "shit - why did I do that?"

I new someone who that happened to.

He said he would wake up sweating from his dreams.Nightmares!

He was being shased by a Tall cigg that was real angry with him and it was saying

"Smoke me Smoke me Smoke me" LOL. Gosh

I can't say I am looking forward to it.

And. Thanks! for the Good Luck.

You are right about that 3 month mark also.

For me there was also a two week mark where I would have theeee worst mood swings.

I couldn't stand it. I would yell at my kids for nothing and just give up and go get a pak of ciggs.

It didn't seem worth it to be like that.

Edited by - plmkrzy on 18 August 2002 19:41:19

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit