Giving Up Smoking

by ballistic 75 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

cheers for those encouraging comments. I'm actually loosing count already, I think it's the start of the 5th day. It must be true what you say about coffee, I always feel like a cig when I have a cup of coffee, although I'm not sure if this is just association. "bad associations" LOL.
    One thing I want to say though is that some of my friends who are occasional smokers don't know what all the fuss is about and say things like "yeah, well if you do have just one, you can simply give up again after it." and I want to know are there are other paeople out there who can get away with occasional smoking and giving up cigarettes every morning, i.e. do not understand the nature of addiction?

• Englishman
    Englishman

You can't be a part-time smoker. Occasional puffers are very rare, but they have always been that way. You can't smoke regularly and then cut down to say 1 a day. Cold turkey is the only way!

Congratulations on your courage, Ballistic!

Englishman.

..From the scepter'd Isle kept free by 2 fins and 4 Merlins.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I would just like to say it will be a week tomorrow. It still sucks but there is no turning back now.

• COMF
    COMF

Go, Ballistic, go! Proud of you, man.

• Kristen
    Kristen

WTG Ballistic! We're rooting for ya!

• mommy
    mommy

Ballistic,
    I was going to tell you that pregnancy is a deterent but ummm you don't have the right parts I loved Mommie Darks' suggestions, those are the ones I used. I actually kept a few "smelly" clothes, didn't do the mason jar thing. I had one sweater I used to wear outside to smoke, that thing was just nasty! And everytime I wanted one I smelled how bad those clothes were. Brushing your teeth is great(and cheap), enough cannot be said about starlight mints though...my saviors!

Congrats! You are doing great! As far as an occasional cigarette goes, I guess that depends on what type of smoker you were before. Many who chain smoke, and smoke out of habit generally cannot do the once and again ciggy. If you were an occasional smoker before then you may be able to get away with it.

Keep up the good work, and keep us posted! I know I had my crying on others shoulders time when I was going through withdrawls. It is weird but you can still crave after a few months/years even.
    wendy

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Best of luck to you Ballistic!!!
    I've tried to quit several times. The best I did was two weeks.

If your one of those who can't get out of the driveway without liteing-up
    I you might consider getting the inside of your car steamed.

Mommie Dark
    I haven't tried that mason jar theropy yet. Next time I get desprit enough to quit I just might.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

However you accomplish your goal, I am proud of you and wish you complete and permanent success!

Keep the money and spend it well and enjoy many more years of health and just like the WTBS, give the tobacco companies what they really deserve!

• ballistic
    ballistic

Cheers UR! I'm off work today on my 7th day with a real stinker of a cold / flu. I remember when I gave up before this happening. It almost as if your body throws on a fever to sweat out all of the toxins accumalated over the years. Actually, I had to stop taking the zyban (bupirion) pills cas of the side affects, but hey, I don't need them anyway.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Three million cheers and a giant hurrah for Ballistic!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit