Giving Up Smoking

by ballistic 75 Replies latest jw friends

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

Hi Ballistic,
    I read somewhere that the nicotine is completely out of your body after just 72 hours. Gone is the nasty drug out of your body now...you are clean!
    Keep giving yourself this well deserved gift.
    All the best and good health to you! :)
    Chakka

• outnfree
    outnfree

Just caught this thread now, Ballistic, but I'm waaaaaay proud of you!

I, too, gave up ciggies for Jehovah. Had my habit down to six low-tar & nicotine cigarettes a day, but just couldn't dump them! It's been 11 years now, and I know that I'm the type that cannot take even ONE or I'd be back at it. (I did that twice before my final success.)

When I finally DID give them up, I had a friend I was to telephone day or night if the urge hit me to smoke so that I could be dissuaded. I think by posting here, you've got that buddy system.

All the best on your continued fight to smell nice and live healthy!

outnfree

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts -- John Wooden

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

ballistic,

Well, here it is 4 days after I posted to your thread and it seems you are still tobacco free. Thats terrific!

Your resperatory system (even though you can't hear it) is thanking you every minute of every day that you are smoke free.

In time you won't believe the wind you will have. You will wonder why you ever started that dirty habit.

Keep posting and keep us informed on how you are doing.

Remember to just be concerned about today and getting through it without a cigarette. You are just not going to have that next drag.

Oh and there is another great up side. The $$$$$$$ you are saving. I don't know what cigarettes cost where you are at. Here they are $40.00 a carton. My husband and I bought 2 cartons a week. Thats $95.00 a week after taxes. 52 weeks a year adds up to $4940.00. Shocking isn't it. My husband and I put a new roof on our house a couple of years ago with the money we saved by not buying any cigarettes just that year..........You could perhaps do something nice for yourself with the extra money. :)

Keep chewing that gum and stuffing those mints.....its worth it.

Sunny

• ballistic
    ballistic

yes, still going, must be 8 going on 9 days.

In answer to you, I don't know what the exchange rates are but cheap brand here 4 pounds and expensive brands are 5 pounds per pack of 20 cigarettes inclusive of any taxes. I understand it is one of the most expensive countries for smoking (if not for most other things also), perhaps someone who knows the exchange can compare this?
    A 30 a day habit like mine would have cost me 2463 pounds 75 pence a year.

• Englishman
    Englishman

OK, Ballistic, now start swimming and playing squash, you may surprise youself as to how much fitter you are already. Hell, Mr B, I'm 55 and climb up a ladder over 250 times a day in my job!

Englishman.

Hey! Now you are an outie, you can dance too!

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

ballistic......I'm still keeping tabs on you.

8 or 9 days? Thats great!

A carton is 10 packs of 20 cigarettes. 200 of um. I think the pound is worth about a 1/3 more than the dollar (maybe someone here knows what the exchange rate is) Our premium cigs are around $4.50 to $5.00 a pack with the others being somewhat less.

If you think about having a cigarette come back and read this thread. Don't be afraid to ask for support. We're here for you.

Keep up the good work

Sunny

• ballistic
    ballistic

ok, I still havent had a cig and it's now 2 weeks and 2 days. I have saved 75 pounds minimum in money, and starting to feel so much better in the lungs region.
    my exercise program comes next.

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

ballistic...

You are the man!!!!!!

You are almost over the toughest part of it.

I come back and look at this thread every couple of days to see if you have posted. I'm so happy you are doing so well.

Got anything special in mind to spend that "chunk of change" you've saved on? Do something nice for yourself. You deserve it.

Sunny (with a big smile on her face)

• ballistic
    ballistic

Calif sunsh. I do feel like I'm over it, although pride comes before a fall so I am keeping my senses.

3 weeks tomorrow night. 100 pounds saved so far. Come on the rest of you now, if I can do it anyone can!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Well done, Mr B!

'Course, now people who smoke will start to get on your nerves 'cos they smell so funny.

C'est la vie.

Englishman.

Truth exists;only falsehood has to be invented. -Georges Braque

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit