Giving Up Smoking

by ballistic 75 Replies latest jw friends

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

Check out the American Cancer Society's guidelines for quitting.

Here are some things that worked for me and some of my friends:

Put some butts and ash into a Mason jar; add water and cap it tight. When the urge for a smoke hits, open the jar and take a deep whiff. Nasty! This aversion technique works real well, but have a barf bag handy .

The average nic fit lasts a relatively short time. When the urge is overpowering, find something messy to do with your hands. A friend took up clay modelling while she quit.

Brush your teeth whenever you want to smoke. Simple, but very effective.

The psychological addiction can last far longer than the actual chemical addiction. Find a busywork hobby or activity to keep your hands occupied. The ritual of lighting up and handling the cig and ashtray needs to be replaced with some healthy alternative. I know men who took up needlepoint. One friend got a baby bird and devoted all her smoking time to taming and training him. Cleaning birdcages is messy and busy...

Sugarless candy and gum are your friends during the withdrawal.

Good luck! and remember... if Mommie D could quit, YOU CAN TOO!

• bitter mango
    bitter mango

good luck balli! i've been trying too, no luck yet though. keep us informed of your progress

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

How did I quit? I was at a bachelorette party with a bunch of friends and ran out of ciggies. I grabbed the only pack sitting on the table - unfiltered Camels - and smoked those the rest of the night. With a tummy full of Foster's Oil Cans and cheap tequila I was sick for two days straight. It was a week before a ciggie even smelled good to me. So I figured, if I quit for a week I might as well try two. And then three and so on.

It was 8 years for me this last November. I didn't plan on quitting. I loved smoking! It's only been the last year or so that I don't crave it anymore. But the times I've cheated and snuck one in, it always made me DOG SICK!

Andi

PS: MD - your suggestion is too funny! But I bet it does work.

• GoldDustWoman
    GoldDustWoman

I quit permanently over 5 years ago. I had quit many, many times before. Once for over a year.

Everyone who has responded has given some excellent suggestions. I will offer mine to you. It has worked for me over the years, because sometimes, abet rarely, I still crave a smoke. No matter what, and I mean NO MATTER WHAT, you do not have a cigarette. For you, as it is for me now, it is no longer an option to smoke. Yes, no matter how badly you crave just one. And those cravings can be a killer! Do not submit to it.

Good luck to you!

GDW

• Will Power
    Will Power

good suggestions all
    hope I stick to it this time
    Mommie D
    Is that pic in your profile box one of your friends clay modellings?
    Just curious

• ballistic
    ballistic

great suggestions everyone! if this keeps going, we could write a book on it. By the way, last time I gave up and I got the craving, I just asked myself why I wanted to smoke and told myself, "I do not smoke", a kind of self hypnosis I think. It worked for 3 months until I got pissed (drunk in U.S.) one day.

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

Will: that is an unretouched photo of MD

seriously, it's goddess fetish; looks sorta squished in resizing for the format here.

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

Mommie, that looks like a pile of turds or something....LOL anyway you could use it to sniff when you get the craving.

• sunscapes
    sunscapes

and bitter you're too young to smoke...

• more2C
    more2C

There's nothing sexier than a guy with sparkling white teeth and fresh breath! Good Luck Ballistic!

more2C

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit