Other Religions use the Name JEHOVAH too

by UnDisfellowshipped 62 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Jehovah is an errorneous construct, lately an artificial name, without following the rules of
    credible language study, it sounds perhaps beautiful and got modern because nobody was aware of the error, and its usage was a misrispect of the old tradition not to spell the holy name of god. But as it is not the real spelling of Gods name in hebrew anyway (as it was spelled by the Highpriest), even this doesnt matter, and God will not be angry about it.

Its usage in songs or art can be treated or seen as an artwork or unnecessary hobby or overexageration of those not aware of history of the name. Its a name like all other names to a certain extent. It is no capital sin though to use the name as" jehovah", but it is not correct or respectful towards Jews.

But it is a sin to make false prophesies under reference of this name, while identifiying it as gods only own name. And to bring separtion into families by shunning under reference of this "holy" name.

____

The Hebrew vowel points of Adonai were added to the Tetragrammaton by the Masoretes, and the resulting form was transliterated around the 12th century as Yehowah.[1] The derived forms Iehouah and Jehovah first appeared in the 16th century.

The most widespread theory is that the Hebrew term יְהֹוָה has the vowel points of אֲדֹנָי (adonai).[27] Using the vowels of adonai, the composite hataf patah ֲ under theguttural alef א becomes a sheva ְ under the yod י, the holam ֹ is placed over the first he ה, and the qamats ָ is placed under the vav ו, giving יְהֹוָה (Jehovah). When the two names, יהוה and אדני, occur together, the former is pointed with a hataf segol ֱ under the yod י and a hiriq ִ under the second he ה, giving יֱהֹוִה, to indicate that it is to be read as (elohim) in order to avoid adonai being repeated

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah

Based on this reasoning, the form יְהֹוָה (Jehovah) has been characterized by some as a "hybrid form",[7][18] and even "a philological impossibility".[19

• oppostate
    oppostate
    But as it is not the real spelling of Gods name in hebrew anyway (as it was spelled by the Highpriest)

What the F*** are you talking about! The "Highpriest" would pronounce it outloud once a year in public, it has nothing to do with him spelling it out. The four Hebrew letters are Yod-He-Waw-He. Most of the time in the early copies now extant the Masoretes pointed it with the Eh and Ah, as in the vowels of Shema, not Adonay.

These four consonants are "matres lectionis" (mothers of reading) and can act as vowels sounds "Yod" for EE or EH, "He" for EH or AH, and "Waw" for Oh or OO.

As Josephus (who was writing in Greek) said the name is pronounced according to its vowels.
    = Ee, Eh, Oh, Ah.
    Hebrew has breathing sounds, like our H, the Greeks thought of that as an accent.

From Hebrew "YeHoWaH" we get the Latin "IeHoUaH" which with the later consonant script form of the letter I, and the U/V split, became "JeHoVaH" in more modern ecclesiastical Latin.

The later pointing that appears in the Tetragram isn't what Martin, the Catholic Monk, used, because the vowels aren't the same in YeHoWaH and aDoNai, not even eLoHiM.

BTW, I have an Ed.D. in Literacy. I have studied Hebrew and Greek in post-grad studies, and I'm a polyglot to boot.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Also the name of God is used in multiple Bibles not just The JW Bible.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

I don't know how many people realise this, but the Roman Catholics have multiple bible versions. From about 400 AD until the early 20th Century they relied mostly upon a version called the Latin Vulgate. The Old Testament / Hebrew Scriptures portion was based on 6 versions available in the 2nd Century, including the Septuagint, and others that only now partially exist, or are lost. (The Masoretic version not in existence back then.)

The Latin Vulgate used "Dominus" in place of Yahweh, but the current most authorities version of the Old Testament / Hebrew Scriptures used by the Catholics, the Jerusalem Bible, which is sort of like the Interlinear, has "Yahweh" all through it (but not in the New Testament/ Greek Scriptures). My very Catholic Parents had a copy.

So for me it has always been laughable to hear JW's imply they are the only ones to use the name. I even still remember the words to a Catholic Hymn that began "Yahweh is the God of my salvation, I trust in Him..." etc.

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

In all these websites you posted, Jehovah is either used in the title of the off shoot of these religions or in a song. These websites do not "make known the name of God" they do not promote it nor preach it. In fact one of the mission statements is: “to Exalt the Savior, to Evangelize the Lost, to Strengthen society through mission outreach, and to Edify the saints through the preaching and teaching of God's word until we all become unified in the faith and the knowledge of Jesus Christ our Savior, as prescribed by God in the Holy Scripture.” As opposed to the mission statement in part of JWs “The Bible says: “May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, you alone are the Most High over all the earth.” (Psalm 83:18) Therefore, we worship only Jehovah God, and as his Witnesses, we endeavor to make known his personal name.—Isaiah 43:10-12.”

Have any of you actually read or listened to any of those websites?? And then compared them to jw.org? There is no comparison. One guy apparently thinks that singing in a choir is “preaching and teaching God’s word” and that’s just one example. No mention of Jehovah of course, it’s all about Jesus. And they pray to Jesus.

So no, JWs are still the only ones who “Preach and teach and use God’s name” to the full extent possible.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

I am not native speaker - confusing "spell" and "pronounce" belongs to my favourite mistakes for many years.

Although we know quite sure what the name means (likely from old paleo-hebrew verb for exist (hawah/ hayah) and therefore we need not pronounce it to honour his name , for me it remains though a mistery how the pronounciation of such an important name could be lost.

Sadly it is difficult for non-linguists to understand the matter.

If I cant explain such an important subject like the name of God in three sentences its useless time consumption.

• Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman

Jehovah has always been the English translation of Yahweh. This has nothing to do with JW's. And before the 20th Century almost all Christian religions refer to God in English as Jehovah.

• Jonathan Sargent
    Jonathan Sargent

Hi all,

I know this thread hasn't been active for a little bit, but I just wanted to encourage all of you in your pursuit of Jehovah. You are clearly very zealous people after Jehovah which is not necessarily a bad thing, provided that you are zealous for the right reasons (Galatians 4:18). I know that Jehovah exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him (Hebrews 11:6).

I encourage any one of you that have any doubts about the grace of God to fall on Jesus Christ and what he did when he died on the cross to save sinners. Do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could have been obtained through keeping the law, Christ died for nothing! (Galatians 2:21). Be crucified with Christ and no longer live! Allow Jesus Christ to live in you. May you live the life that you live in this body by faith from first to last, just as it is written, the righteous shall live by faith. (Galatians 2:21, Habakkuk 2:4).

I did want to warn you before God against quarreling about words; it is of no value and only ruins those who listen (2 Timothy 2:14).

I pray that you may all believe in the Son (namely Jesus, Luke 22:69-70) and in so doing have eternal life, I pray that you may not reject the Son and in so doing not see life because God's wrath remains on you (John 3:36).

I am grateful for the way that you diligently study the scriptures because you believe that in them there is life, I pray that in them you may find the testimony of Jesus Christ and believe in him and that in so believing you may have eternal life (John 5:39).

Remember that Jesus himself said that he testified that the world's works were evil and the world hated him for that reason (John 7:7). That is the world that God so loved that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16). I pray that you may all have life and have it to the full (John 10:10). The devil is a thief and a robber who is trying to keep you from that life by trying to condemn you, but God did not condemn you, nor the world, when he sent his one and only son (Jesus) into the world. He sent Jesus into the world to save the world, why are you looking for condemnation for yourselves or for others (John 3:17)? Those who have just condemnation, those for whom the wrath of God is against, are those who do not believe in Jesus and those who believe that they ought to sin all the more that the grace of God may increase (John 3:36 and Romans 3:8).

Always remember and never forget, that despite all the confusion, God's solid foundation stands firm, sealed with this inscription 'the Lord knows those who are his' and 'everyone who confesses the name of the Lord must turn away from wickedness' (2 Timothy 2:19). I pray that every single one of you who confess the name of Jehovah will turn away from wickedness. Everything that does not come from faith is sin (Romans 14:23). I pray that you may turn away from any wickedness in your life and live by faith in Jesus.

I know that Jesus is the Son of God in power. The Holy Ghost appointed him as such by his resurrection from the dead. Jesus Christ is Lord. I pray that you may all obey the call of God and in obedience live by faith for his name's sake (Romans 1:4-5).

• Jonathan Sargent
    Jonathan Sargent

I pray that no matter what you think of my post, that if there is any sin in your life, any way that you have not lived and walked by faith, that you would repent of your sins and accept the forgiveness of Jesus (Luke 24:46-7).

If there is anyone who does not repent, they will perish, because righteousness is not something that we are supposed to understand by comparing it with one another (Luke 13:1-4). If we were to judge by comparison, we would be judging by mere appearances rather than judging correctly (John 7:27). I pray that you may all learn the justification and the salvation of God, namely that although all have sinned and have fallen short of the glory of God, God demonstrates his own love for us in this, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8).

May you come to repentance and a knowledge of the truth. "God does not desire that anyone should perish, but that all should come to repentance" and, again, "he wants all to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth" (2 Peter 3:9, 1 Timothy 2:4). I pray that if any of you do not have peace with God that only comes by being justified through faith, that you would look on Jesus and believe in him (Romans 5:1 and John 3:14-5).

• smiddy3
    smiddy3
    Jonathan Sargent

I suggest you look at the Greek Text in the "Kingdom Interlinear of The Christian Greek Scriptures" published by the WTB&TS and you won`t find the name Jehovah anywhere in it .

Nor will you find the Tetragrammaton or any equivalent letters in Greek referring to that name anywhere in that publication.

Jesus Christ ,the Apostles nor any of Jesus Disciples ever used the name Jehovah or any such personal name of God in the New Testament.

It just isnt in their.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit