Healthcare reform has passed and is signed into law... this is a Big F*cking Deal!

by Elsewhere 89 Replies latest jw friends

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

ok thanks six

I was wondering how that worked.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I got one more question,

If you have a child that is over 18 and not yet 26 and is on Medicaid, could they be put on their parents insurance now if they so desired?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

yep, in 90 days.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Medicaid rates are going to be equalized with Medicare payment rates too, but only for primary care.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

But the parent would not be forced into doing so, right?

sorry, last Q!!!

• cattails
    cattails

Yay! I'm glad it's on!

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

no, it would be their choice.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

thanks six, I can sleep better now.

Your going to be one of the 16,000 new IRS agents aren't you?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Swearing or not, that is not the big deal. What is the big deal is that, no matter what, someone has to pay for every single bottle of medicine that ever gets prescribed. Someone has to pay for every single doctor visit. And, someone has to pay for every hospital stay.

You might think the insurers pay. But, how do they get their money? Insurance companies are not non-profit, charitable operations. They are for-profit companies. This means that, every time someone gets a bottle of pills, the insurance companies that pay have to charge that much more for their products. It might come in higher deductibles, higher co-pays, higher premiums, or some combination of all of the above. If you get your health insurance from work, it might mean more layoffs, lower raises, and/or higher prices being charged to customers. And less help and higher productivity standards to pay for the higher premiums.

Now, what if the government steps in? Guess what--taxpayers pay for it now. We pay with higher taxes, less spending on things that really matter (like protection against initiatory force against us), or both. We also pay with our freedom. If the government pays, you see them controling things more (besides the higher taxes). This means that every time you get a prescription filled or check into the hospital, someone's taxes must go up. And, they might just decide what treatment you get--whether it is the most effective (which is not always the most expensive or popular) or not. Some people might have to do without.

There is only one type of health care reform that will work. We need to quit depending on courses of pills that you take for life. You might not realize that your statins cost around $80 a month, but you will pay that much (with out-of-pocket expenses, forgone raises at work, and/or higher taxes) per bottle. If your "problem" is solved, or they quit lying and saying that your cholesterol needs to come down to 70), you don't take the medicine every day--and someone saves that $80 a month. Whether it means not spending it, getting that raise or more help, or not seeing a spike in your taxes next year, that is money that can then go back into the economy.

And, there is just one way to allow that to happen. It means lifting the absolute requirement to have a license to practice medicine. You will still have licensed physicians. However, someone without a license can practice. The patients know they are dealing with products that have not been "properly" tested (having a fake license would still be a major offense). But, eventually people post the results online. You get bad products, you see them getting bashed. You get good products, you see them getting praise. You see quacks and scam artists being exposed online, with most of their products being bashed to death--and they end up going belly up.

But, after the scams are exposed and put out of business, the good players are left. You start seeing wars on who can get the most effective and the safest products to market, and price wars will drive down the price of medicine. Before long, you start seeing $3-5 cures for diseases that either cost more than $300,000 to treat or required lifelong $80+/month courses of medication before. You start seeing fewer medical crises resulting in hospital stays. And then, you start seeing big savings in the whole system--and those savings do not have to be paid for with tax dollars or with money that otherwise could have funded your raises. And, better health for people to boot.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

havent figured out this helps me or especially my fiancee... we want to get married but if we do she loses her Medicaid..... she works full time...but her health insurance at work (which for the 3 of us..if we were married...would be $400/month)..... doesnt cover her preexisting condition (type 2 diabetes) for the first year.... so what good is it? Her 9YO is covered no matter in our state until age 9 based on our joint incomes at a subsidized rate.

I pay $195 (which went up $25 this month), with a $3,000 annual deductible... for myself only. The only real benefit I get is I get contracted rates and the insurance company knocks off the BS charges (ie, two charges for my initial exam... one for new patient exam and one for male age 40-45 exam....Aetna knocked the second one off and knocked the whole bill down from $500 to $122).

My dental plan pays very little because a) I dont use a plan doctor and b) it just pays little anyway. My dentist does not accept reduced insurance payments... she takes what they give her and bills me the rest.

I have started using the local community college's nurse managed clinic... $35 flat per visit... they can prescribe scrips... and lab work I go through econolabs.com.... pick the prescribed labs off the list, pay the charge with my visa...and get an invoice to take to a local national lab provider.... they take the samples.......and ship it off to their national lab......I got a CBC and another lab test for $43. They emailed me a PDF of the results in less than 24 hours.... and emailed or faxed copies to my doc and the clinic. GREAT service. I buy generics if I have to have prescriptions filled whenever possible... good thing I am in relative good health.

My fiancee hates being on medicaid... she feels badly for using it.... and the Medicaid docs generally give minimal care.... her dentist will pull an infected dead tooth but medicaid does not pay for bridges, braces, or implants... considered cosmetic. She is going to my dentist and will make payments for the uncovered work she needs (not wants...needs) done.

I dont think we need health insurance....we need health care.... Everyone should pay something into the system....and a basic level of care should be guaranteed.... this 3,000 page bill is only the first step...we are a long way from fixing this system.... I would gladly pay higher taxes if we were fully covered for preexisting and future conditions.

Snakes (Rich )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit