Brief Explanation

by joelbear 49 Replies latest jw friends

• joelbear
    joelbear

My path needs to be revamped.

I do plan to have a serious discussion with elders and attend the Kingdom Hall. Where that will lead, time will tell.

I am not leaving Mitch. Even if I did become a Jehovah's Witness and celibate again he would love me just the same and I him.

You cannot become ungay. I would simply become celibate again as I did for the first 30 years of my life.

I believe the discussion board has become unbalanced to the point that a true discussion cannot take place. I see a progression of posters that I care about becoming more negative over time. I have always believed that the harsh words exchanged here between people are inappropriate for the seriousness of the discussion. This situation continues to get worse not better.

I do not believe that Jehovah's Witnesses should be mocked for their beliefs. Again, the matter is simply too serious. This is simply an application of Matthew 7:12. You can't use the excuse that they do it so its okay for you to do it, its harmful and shouldn't be done.

I do not believe that we should loosely make swipes at all 6 million Jehovah's Witnesses with rash statements like, none of them love god, or, they all hide pedophiles. I get a sense that child abuse victims are being used rather than helped with this anti-Watchtower crusade. I have no proof. I indeed hope I am totally wrong. I have received private emails from people I trust who know personally of pedophilia cover ups involving people that I have known. This subject makes me ill. I don't believe a public discussion board is the place to make accusations or for victims to seek assistance.

I do honestly feel that many here including myself have let our animosity towards the witnesses cloud our thinking about what is indeed true.

I have the same core values now that I did when I was an active witness and so do the great majority of the witnesses that I grew up with, pioneered with and served at Bethel with. They are not the monsters that are portrayed here. When you make statements like, Jehovahs Witnesses are stupid, hateful, evil, etc, you are talking about my mother, my friends, people who I love dearly and you know what, I guarantee you I ain't the only one that feels this way. Is your venting worth the harm it may be causing to someone you never meet?

I have left this discussion board three times, each time for basically the same reasons I have listed above. In each case I myself have used hyperbole and grandiose overstatement to accompany my leaving. I am a dramatic person. I feel things very deeply. I doubt this will ever change.

I don't wish to offer this as an announcement that I have once again returned. I have much to think about. I don't think that I can clearly think about these matters in the glare of public discussion.

I have received numerous private emails regarding my leaving statement. I realized that an explanation was due because of the fact that a) I love people here, b) I believe in total honesty as a core value to my being and I felt that my departure statement was not totally honest. It made it appear that I was at the end of a journey where a final decision had been reached. Indeed it is the beginning of a journey that will take me down some old paths and some new ones I am sure.

I respect Jehovah's Witnesses. I understand that as people they have flaws. I believe very similarly to Yadirf's statements in his replies to AlanF that they have made mistakes, that some of the leaders have been nutcases, that 1975 was one man's megalomaniacal attempt at glory, all of these are irrelevant to me as they would be to my mother or my friends or to anyone who is truly one of Jehovah's Witnesses. There is a core truth there that cannot be denied. I sense it. I must reexamine it. I don't think anyone here can honestly dismiss it.

I wish you peace.

Joel

• Mulan
    Mulan

Thanks for telling this, Joel. I love you lots. You are great, and a wonderful person, just the way you are.

Always......

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Thanks for writing, Joelbear. I hope you find what you are looking for.

• Magog
    Magog

Joel,

I respect your journey. You do have a lot to think about. What are the core truths that you still sense? Please answer. I wish you well.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Joel, am I correct that you don't believe the bible is the inspired word of God?

I hope you get the help you need my friend. I see you reach out to help others, please don't pussyfoot around with your own problems. Get help, ok?

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I wish you peace Joelbar.
    It is true that there are many good JWs and there are some caring and loving ones in the organization.
    However for those who have been tramped on, belittled, berated there is something wrong with a structure that protects, liars, thieves and sexual predators. These are the the ones who want to be heard and when you see that a member of the Governing Body and many others left the organization because of lies to the true teaching of the Word of God and they have proved that the organization has lied and covered over many terrible things, then i say to you there are those who need to have their just desserts rendered to them.
    However for those who need something to sustain them then all the more power to them, if they find it among Jws.
    Once again I wish sincere peace.

PROCRASTINATION IS THE THIEF OF TIME!!

• dungbeetle
    dungbeetle

I always think of JW.COM as a M*A*S*H unit--meatball surgery. We patch up and throw things together as best we can because we are injured ourselves.

I've done the JW bashing as well. I REFUSE to believe they are the victims everyone says they are, but I do not believe they are as 'evil' as the Watchtower says we are.

Joel, you make a distinction between those who commit heinous acts, and those who harbor them. Other people make no distinction. Neither is whooly right or wholly wrong, in my opinion; there is a place for each end of the opinion spectrum and good work is getting done by both sides.

When you look at the anger and the frustration, and then look at all the work getting done by both sides...it is truly a modern-day miracle!! But it comes with a price. A price we all are willing to pay.

Kisses, darling.

I wish you well, dearest.

In 1975 a crack team of publishers was sentenced to death by a judicial commiteee. They promptly escaped from the cult and now live life on the run. If you have a problem ... and if you can find them ... maybe you can contact the A--postate Team"

• Valis
    Valis

Joel, I would think that there are some core truths that even you cannot escape. Why would it be that all these people have stories and experiences that could be interchangeable? Even if the 'rumors" about molestation, mistreatment, shunning, etc...were all lies, you still have to ask yourself if any particular mythology is worth the time of an otherwise intelligent person. From you chat discussions I have participated in, you know full well that you are robbing Peter to feed Paul. What is worse, an individuAL lationship with your God or being part of something that lives in secrecy and would agree with you in that none of this should never be made public, or discussed with others outside a committee?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Joelbear you big drama queen,I`m happy you stopped by to say hey.Joel many religions have a core of truth to them but that dosent make them gods personal organization.I hope you dont get too wrapped up with the JWs again,I think they will spiritualy tear you apart.Still as always I wish you well,drop by again soon...OUTLAW

• flower
    flower

i honestly need to know something joel..
    are you saying that things that the society has done in the past that were wrong and downright unchristian were just because of a few 'nutcases' in the high positions but that over all the organization IS directed by Jehovahs holy spirit and therefore we should be living by the guidelines laid out in the societys publications? is there really a possibility of this? it would change everything for me? i dont know what to belive now. i'm so screwed up

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit