quick survey on auto driving method... one foot or two?

by Gregor 36 Replies latest jw friends

• asilentone
    asilentone

one foot, my right foot.

• recovering
    recovering

1 foot is the way except for standard (2 feet) . No feet at all with one of the company trucks . My employees showed me on the company truck it has paddles on the stearing wheel and push button gears

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Automatic..1 foot.

I agree with AK-Jeff..2 feet for an automatic is an extremely bad habit..Don`t do it!!..

Standard..2 feet..

......................OUTLAW

• Gregor
    Gregor

When driving manual and you come to a stop light or a lengthy train crossing, do you keep the car in gear and depress the clutch the whole time or do you put the lever in neutral and take your foot off the clutch?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

An automatic I drive with one foot.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    When driving manual and you come to a stop light or a lengthy train crossing,
    do you keep the car in gear and depress the clutch the whole time
    or do you put the lever in neutral and take your foot off the clutch?..

Some clutches like my truck,have a heavy spring..

Put the vehicle in nuetral..And..Apply the parking brake..

Otherwise your leg may cramp up..

From holding a heavy clutch spring down,so long..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• JWoods
    JWoods

Well, I see that practically NOBODY else here likes my left-foot brakes, right-foot accelerator style with an automatic. I have used it ever since the early 1960s when I learned to drive.

Yes, I already knew that it is looked down on by most "experts". It does find some use in competition driving - for one example, to load up the torque converter against some engine revs to make a drag racing start. It has also been used by some rallye drivers to balance cornering.

It also offers a tenth of a second or so faster brake reaction time. Note that I do not drive around with my foot pushing down on the brake while not slowing down and wearing out my disks and pads. Some people do this with their right foot too - even with manual transmissions.

But, to each their own. I don't recommend it to most people if they already are used to the conventional way.

James, lifelong car enthusiast: currently -

1986 Ferrari Testarossa - 5 speed manual.

1995 Rolls Royce Silver Dawn - automatic.

1996 Porsche 993 Targa - 6 speed manual.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

One foot. I do miss driving a stick tho'

• undercover
    undercover

When driving manual and you come to a stop light or a lengthy train crossing, do you keep the car in gear and depress the clutch the whole time or do you put the lever in neutral and take your foot off the clutch?

Heck, I knock it into neutral as I'm coasting up to a stop, then leave it in neutral. If I'm at the head of the line at a light, I try to make sure that I'm back in gear and ready to go before the light turns green...which means paying attention to the cycle and being prepared for your light to change. Apparently I'm in the minority as most people I get behind are never ready when the light turns green. They have to put their coffee down or stop texting or put their paperwork down...

• JWoods
    JWoods

It does save wear on your clutch throwout bearing to leave the car in neutral when standing for a long time. Most cars now have a synchro on first, so it doesn't crunch first gear when you do this.

I put this subject up under the "Racing & Driver Education" section on the Ferrari club forum to see what reaction people had there.

As a side point, most new high-end sports cars with automated manuals are two-pedal cars without a clutch pedal. They have paddles to shift the gears, so conceivably you could use your left foot on the brakes with one of these like an auto. I don't like them - I prefer the conventional stick shift and clutch, but this is getting very rare. No new Ferraris have had a clutch for two models now, and the previous cars only had about 3% or so equipped with a standard manual shift for about 10 years now.

Can anybody explain just why the left foot braking is such a bad habit? Or, is it perhaps just urban car legend?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit