Do you desire eternal life?

by sacolton 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm afraid that the question is oversimplifying what is at issue... specifically Eternity.

Eternity, or Forever is a very long time! The vast majority of people never really stop and think about what the consequences of eternity would be.

Think of it this way: With the known laws of quantum physics, it is possible for a particle to pop into existence out of nowhere. It is also possible for an existing particle to vanish from where it is and instantaneously reappear on the other side of the universe... for no reason what so ever. It just happens to random particles at random times.

Particles are popping into and out of existence all around you right now. Every once in awhile one of those particles will not vanish. It stays here in our universe. Given enough time multiple particles will pop into existence near each other and form an atom. Given even more time more particles will pop into existence to form a molecule.

As trillions of trillions of years pass, the laws of probability INSIST that EVENTUALLY a cat will appear out of nowhere right in front of you.

As trillions of trillions of years pass, the laws of probability INSIST that EVENTUALLY an exact duplicate of yourself... as you were at the age of 12... will pop into existence in front of you.

... and then a purple unicorn.

... and then a perfect duplicate of the earth as it existed in 1492... allowing you to watch Columbus land in America for the first time. (Yes... eternity creates time machines.)

My point is this: When you bring an infinity into any equation, very odd things start to happen. Because of this one must question whether or not eternity could possibly even exist. If an eternity were to occur, it would mean that anything and everything that could possibly every happen... WILL HAPPEN... and it will happen over and over again for all eternity.

That's just BIZARRE!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Arrrrgh... After reading Elsewhere's post...

Now my head hurts.... That always happens when I try to think about "Forever"...

Zid

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Only if I could see my brother, and parents just to say thanks for my life. Otherwise, I think not. But whatever reality is, I will accept.

• Heartbreaker
    Heartbreaker

(without reading any of the replies)

I used to desire everlasting life, because the one I was living was always about waiting to have fun, waiting to attain this or that goal....waiting to LIVE. Now that I know the trademarked JW Paradise Earth was just a ploy, I am glad that I won't be there.

I used to dread "working the earth" because I have a texture issue with my hands, handling wooden pencils, construction paper and things like glue on my hands or dried mud about make me FREAK. (had to pause to go apply lotion to my hands, spread my fingers out and have a talk with myself just now)

Now my fear is that as soon as my life dwindles down to an end, it will be the best it ever was, and I'll be miserable knowing it's almost over.

I do sometimes wonder if there is anything good after this life, and if I'll qualify...but not like the heartsick and stomach churning worry about making it through Armaggedon.

• nugget
    nugget

I think that I'd like to live long enough to accomplish everything I want in life. Eternal life would be great so long as at some point I'd be allowed some time off.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Only if I can rule the world and have you all as my slaves

• Chalam
    Chalam

Of course! Compared with the second death it is a no brainer.

Just as big a question is "do you want life to the full in this life?"

John 10:10 (English Standard Version)

10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.

Blessings,

Stephen

• dissed
    dissed

Cantleave??

O ye with puny thoughts....

Why just the world when I can rule the Universe!!

dissed of the Ming the Merciless class - Muhahaha!

• snowbird
    snowbird

Ever, that is a great post!

Hi, BabyGirl175.

Sylvia

• awildflower
    awildflower

I love Quantum Physics.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit