Do you desire eternal life?

by sacolton 39 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
  • sacolton
    sacolton

Not necessarily to live on a "paradise earth", but to be conscious with no pain or sorrow as a spirit?

Ecclesiastes 3:11

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

• awildflower
    awildflower

Yes! I don't know how there can be so much life to live and never live long enough to enjoy it. With the technology we have today, via the internet, we can see virtually everything there is on the planet and know that in our short 80 years we would never be able to experience even a fraction of it. Even with out the jw conditioning on everlasting life, death still doesn't make since to me with so much living to do.

• Magwitch
  • zoiks
    zoiks

Life almost always wants to continue. That's why the antelope runs away from the lion instead of just lying down and salt & peppering itself. We humans have the capacity for abstract thought, so we can imagine life never ending.

So, yeah, never dying would be great. Living as a spirit forever? Maybe, as long as a pursuit of knowledge was never ending. But I am just a tad skeptical of the whole thing.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yes!!!

Sylvia

• teel
    teel

I'm with awildflower on this, she's perfectly right. Either as a spirit, or human body, but these 80 years are just too short. I don't want necessarily a perfect life, if my body would function like it does now I'd be happy. Toils and pain can have its rewards too (no, I'm not a masochist I'm just talking about a healthy appreciation of life as it is).

However I wouldn't like to live in the JWs "paradise". Conformity, and unquestioning obedience is not something to be desired for an eternity.

• awildflower
    awildflower

I actually think man is capable of eternal life, we just don't realize it yet and it has nothing to do with religion or deserving it or not, or anything else out there except the fact that it's in us. I also think that that realization will come about some time, not sure when, but I hope in my life time!

• superpunk
    superpunk

No being wants to stop living.

Animals will gnaw their leg off to escape, and save their lives.

It's just a mistake to think that desire was put there supernatural-ly. We want to sustain our lives as long as we possibly can.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

Only if I can be Russell Crowe, though I would settle for being Brad Pitt - minus Angelina Jolie.

No seriously - I am serious. As serious as a disenfranchised gladiator can be!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit