Work Related: Am I correct for being angry?

by Elsewhere 32 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

In many job situations, once you do it for awhile, they come to think it is part of the job. It's a rough economy out there. Not a good time to look for new work. But if you are really that critical at work, they cannot move without you in many situations, then simply do not reply when you are gone. Don't have your computer on, don't respond to their email, try even letting their calls go to voicemail. Let them know that serious situations will be handled in a timely manner, but (I am assuming you are not a surgeon) routine decisions and non-critical stuff can wait.

If they want to renegotiate your pay, you are willing to hear what more they could ask of you. Otherwise, days off are days off.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> Depends on what kind of job you have and how much they are paying you.

I am a Sr. Developer and responsible for several applications that external users access. I am not a manager.

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

elsewhere - your boss has already tagged you with that expectation.

He already expects you should have your laptop on in the evening and weekends so you can check emails.

Just ensure that if you are going to meet that expectation you are giving the appropriate tools to do it and financially rewarded for meeting that expectation

• undercover
    undercover

Are you salary or hourly? exempt or non-exempt?

If you're getting paid for the hours you work only, then they cannot expect you to be logged in on your own time. There are wage laws that protect you on that. Talk to your HR dept.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I don't know about Texas but in Washington state they'd have to pay you "stand by time" it is some fraction of your regular pay, but it is something. And you get it whether you're doing anything or not. Several employers around here have been sued by the state for violating it (notably microsoft and nordstrom's).

Contact the state's office of labor and industries, or whatever they call it there.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

You need on-call pay to be available during non-work hours, whether they expect to contact you by phone or email. Otherwise, without your agreement, there is no reasonable expectation that they should be able to reach you.

If you had a union, it would be in your contract. Contracts are good: they make expectations explicit. A common understanding is the first step to good staff relations and morale.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I did have another job at a hospitol where a group of us rotated being on call on the weekends. We got paid for being on call and if we actually had to do anything we got paid more. We all kinda fought to be oncall as the money was so good. Our weekends came around about every five weeks. Every weekend would have been just too much.

purps

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Let them know the following. . .

"Email servers fail, on occasion. So, in the event of an urgent matter, please email me and call me on my cell phone. This will allow me to provide outstanding customer support, even when our email is down. But, sure, I'll keep my laptop running after hours. No problem."

Then, proceed as you'd like. If anything critical arises, and they don't call you, refer them back to your original request for a phonecall. If they want to know, specifically, about a response, let them know that you were actually on the toilet, taking a $hit, when the email arrived, and were unable to reply immediately. This usually shuts people up.

-LWT

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> Are you salary or hourly? exempt or non-exempt?

> You need on-call pay to be available during non-work hours...

I am Salary. Because I am a professional and exempt from the Minimum Wage Act and from payment of overtime wages.

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Considering the current economic climate, I would grin and bear it for now, but bring it up when your next salary review comes round.

In the meantime, just take your time in responding to emails etc outside of normal work hours especially weekends. If you answer them too quickly, you’ll give them the expectation that you are willing to be their servant 24/7. I know acting like that is against the grain for most conscientious employees, but it’s a passive-aggressive way of dealing with the problem.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit