Work Related: Am I correct for being angry?

by Elsewhere 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

My manager expects (never directly ordered me), but expects me to have my work laptop booted up at home every evening after work, all weekend long and every holiday so I can monitor my email and promptly respond to emails.

Am I wrong for being pissed off about this?

The company I work for is always talking about their "work life balance" program for employees. Employees are supposed to be able to enjoy their home life without work dominating their personal life.

In all the years I've worked here, anytime there was a work related issue, while I was not at work, that needed immediate attention and I received a phone call about it, I have *ALLWAYS* been available to address whatever the issue was. All it takes is a phone call. I even have my work phone setup so that if I don't answer, it forwards to my personal cell phone.

If something bad is happening, and I get a call, I always immediately respond and address the issue.

I think this is MORE than any employer could expect. But to expect me to monitor my work email all the time... that is over the top.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch

Unless you are getting paid on the weekends, evenings and holidays .... do not turn on your computer!

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

They want somethin for nothin.

Maybe your home computer needs to crash for a few days.

If the boss complains, you can ask that he supply you with a home computer, or internet service, or recompense for your time, or....

• lepermessiah
    lepermessiah

You have every right to be angry.........

Thats not reasonable nor is it realistic.

What if you go out a lot of after work, hobbies, sports, etc......are you going to have email access there?

There is no way you should expect employees to be tethered to a computer at home.

• Married to the Mob
    Married to the Mob

No not wrong to feel pissed off!

Work life balance is all BS to make managers feel better and supposed to improve productivity! Unfortunately most managers have no clue how to use it to their advantage.

My company has a similar view that I am contactable 24/7. So I have a mobile phone (cell), when it came to be contactable by phone or email 24/7, I said I would be if they gave me to tools to do it. BLACKBERRY! I won't carry my laptop round 24/7, I can't, and are they paying for my internet connection from the house? no didn't think so!

In with this I also expect to be paid appropriately be that cash or vacation time for being effectivily on call 24/7.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I worked for someone that I gave 24/7 to, honestly.

I had a computer at home that was tapped into the store, since this was 1997, 98, it was not the norm back then.

I could get a call anytime and have to look something up for the store, before I knew it I was into a project.

Not everyone had cellphones back then, they were expensive luxuries for those that could afford it and in some cases necessities.

When my boss OFFERED to get me a cell phone I refused, I said I just had to be able to go some places and not be contacted.

Eventually I got burnt out, and quite working there, I loved the job but a person needs precious time away and off.

purps

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> I said I would be if they gave me to tools to do it. BLACKBERRY!

I would never request such a device. I will only accept such a device if it is thrust upon me. Once they tag you with one of those they develop the expectation of you being available 24/7.

• VIII
    VIII

I believe you can be angry.

Can you tell your boss you won't deal with the issue and/or you won't turn on your computer or won't return the e-mail?

Only if you seriously want to collect unemployment.

Welcome to the internet age.

BTW, my employer expects it also. Between their Blackberry and laptop I am expected to answer the phone and/or e-mail on the toilet etc.

Do I like it?

Take a guess.

What's easier? Looking for a job right now?

Take a guess.

• bulgogiboy
    bulgogiboy

Depends on what kind of job you have and how much they are paying you.

Surely he doesn't expect you to be able to access your laptop ALL the time? Like out to the cinema, dinner parties, weddings, funerals etc? If you go away for a weekend mountain climbing does he expect you to be sitting in a tent at the top of a mountain checking your inbox??

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> Eventually I got burnt out, and quite working there

I had a similar experience. I burned out and for the next 10 years I was a mediocre employee who did just enough to NOT get fired.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit