Work Related: Am I correct for being angry?

by Elsewhere 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> just take your time in responding to emails etc outside of normal work hours especially weekends.

I would rather not have to monitor and respond to any emails on my own time and on weekends and holidays.

That is MY time. If I goof off too much at work and use work time for too much personal stuff, the company gets angry. Likewise, when my company tries to take up too much of my personal time, I get angry.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I once saw a sign in a cubicle that read. . .

"You deserve what you tolerate."

A little harsh for my tastes, but there is some truth in there -- somewhere.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Lots of People hint at unreasonable expectations..

Because..

They don`t have the Courage,to outright Bully you..

• undercover
    undercover
    I am Salary. Because I am a professional and exempt from the Minimum Wage Act and from payment of overtime wages.

Every state has different laws and then there's the fed guidelines. I'm not an expert, you need to discuss this with HR... but here's my deal: I'm salary and exempt. I don't get paid to work hours. I get paid to get the job done, no matter what hours or how long it takes.

There are upsides to that. I can come in late, no big deal. I can leave early, no big deal. If I need to take a long lunch, then I take a long lunch. As long as we're meeting deadlines, that is. If we're behind, then I gotta work harder or longer to make it happen. I keep up with emails at night and over the weekend. It's easier to review and respond to the neceassary ones then to wait and have a fire to put out the next day or Monday. If it can wait, it waits.

Since you're salary you may find they may have a little more say on your checking in on email/voice mail. But I'd talk to HR and find out what the wage laws are and make sure the company is abiding by them.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I think staying at a job that makes you feel angry, or feel any other negative emotions, will eventually make you sick.

lisa

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> Every state has different laws and then there's the fed guidelines.

I am in Texas and Texas has some of the most company friendly laws in the union. Texas is described as an "at will" state. That basically means that an employee may be fired at any time for no reason and with no recourse on the part of the employee. You should see what happens when you try to form a Union in this state. They have union busting down to a science.

> I think staying at a job that makes you feel angry, or feel any other negative emotions, will eventually make you sick.

I agree 100%. I have quit other jobs for the such reasons. I cherish my mental wellbeing. If I find I'm in a situation that threatens that, I will remove whatever is causing the problem. This is why I was willing to give up my entire family and all of my friends in order to Disassociate and get away from the stress of being a JW.

Even though my manager knows my JW history and how I'm being shunned, he still does not seem to appreciate what I'm capable of sacrificing in order to preserve my mental wellbeing.

• pirata
    pirata

Ask them to buy you a blackberry and pay the monthly bill. No reasonable company expectes their employee to sit around their computer 24/7.

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

There's a fresh crop of India Indians waiting anxiously to do your job for pennies on the dollar. Not everything can be outsourced of course, but it seems to me that the modern deal with IT is, unfortunately, 50 hours on a good week, 90 hours on a crazy one, with stress like you wouldn't believe, deal with it or else we'll replace you with a couple of Indians.

That said, I'd kill for your job. I'm a bit late to the IT party but I write some pretty mean SQL (I'm constantly being bombarded with requests for various reports and the like) and am pretty indispensable to my current department, but the real IT department whose management I can't quite seem to win over won't let me in. It's got me very sad. I would be such a good damn business analyst or quality assurance analyst. But alas I remain a 39 year-old hourly shmuck just barely above being an order entry clerk. fml

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

> Ask them to buy you a blackberry and pay the monthly bill.

I'd never ask for one of those. Once they know you have one, they develop the expectation of you being available 24/7... with NO excuses. Sure, it's a status symbol, but I don't care about status symbols, titles or positions. I just want to be happy.

The only way I would end up one of those is if it were thrust upon me.

> That said, I'd kill for your job

Yes, I admit I have a damn good job. It's my manager who's killing me and he comes with the job.

Imagine if you had a new BMW car... only the interior smelled like there was a dead skunk in it. Would you still want it?

> There's a fresh crop of India Indians waiting anxiously to do your job for pennies on the dollar.

Seems like companies follow a 10 year cycle. I've already seen them go through it once before.

1. They hire local developers.

2. They get tired of paying for the tallent.

3. They get rid of the local workers and hire cheap contractors and over seas workers.

4. Quality of work goes to shit and they no longer have loyal employees who know the product and business.

5. They re-hire local workers.

Right now they are moving into step 3.

In 5 years they'll reach step 4 and will quickly move to step 5.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Elsewhere, if they're really serious about "work-life balance", then they shouldn't object if you take Monday morning off after dealing with company business over the weekend. Yeah, like the pointy-haired CLASS would ever agree to that!

Remember: Dilbert is a documentary!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit